Who's Online - 2 members and 139 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitThe Cycling Thread

The Cycling Thread

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... 135136 ... 137138139140141142143144145146147

SteveIcon...08-10-2016 @ 21:44 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Boar said:steve, this ride on Monday - will I be ok in group B ?
also, do I have to listen to some dude talking or will I know when to BurN OFF up box hill ?
ta

Sounds like a good paced ride, with a bit of a blast at the end. I've done one or two at 3w/kg to 3.5w/kg and they were about right for a fairly hard session. If it gets set up right there will be someone riding with a fairly obvious beacon coming out of them and you just stick close. They give out instructions using text which should appear in the middle of the screen from the group leader rather than at the right hand side.
SteveIcon...08-10-2016 @ 21:48 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Doesn't look like Joe Skipper's having a good time at the moment. You can't afford to give away so much time time on the swim against the best guys (unless you bike like Kienle)
BoarIcon...08-10-2016 @ 21:53 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25555 posts
Administrator
I will look forward to that on Monday,

yea, I have just looked at the top 30 , what happened to harry ? wasn't he 1st out of the water ?

hope joe has saved his legs a bit and can run down a few fellas
SteveIcon...08-10-2016 @ 22:04 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Don't know. I've not been watching it none stop. It's not that easy to follow. Forty eight minutes was a very impressive swim.
CuddlesIcon...08-10-2016 @ 22:38 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Just looked at the results of the Iron Goat race and unless I'm missing something they're an absolute joke.

The cat 'B' winner averaged 4.1w/kg for 1hr55 minutes. The category is for riders with an ftp of less than 4w/kg....

None of the top 6 should've been in the category. No wonder so many didn't bother finishing.
SteveIcon...09-10-2016 @ 06:56 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:Just looked at the results of the Iron Goat race and unless I'm missing something they're an absolute joke.

The cat 'B' winner averaged 4.1w/kg for 1hr55 minutes. The category is for riders with an ftp of less than 4w/kg....

None of the top 6 should've been in the category. No wonder so many didn't bother finishing.

I don't think they mean (or at least it's not the way it's applied) your ftp. They seem to use average for the race. Obviously with the races around an hour this may approximate to your ftp.
SteveIcon...09-10-2016 @ 07:51 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Boar said:I will look forward to that on Monday,

yea, I have just looked at the top 30 , what happened to harry ? wasn't he 1st out of the water ?

hope joe has saved his legs a bit and can run down a few fellas

Looks like a few of the Brits had a tough time out there!

.It will be nice if Gomez (and Alister Brownlee) do step up to long distance to see just what they can do.

Ryf looks unbeatable on the women's side f things. Her bike is just so much better then anyone else. I wonder how she would get on at cycling.
CuddlesIcon...09-10-2016 @ 08:53 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
I don't think they mean (or at least it's not the way it's applied) your ftp. They seem to use average for the race. Obviously with the races around an hour this may approximate to your ftp.

Sorry Steve but that's not correct. Everywhere the race info is listed: zwifts website, the zwiftpower results, their Facebook page, it clearly says FTP.

Using FTP is the only logical thing to do anyway otherwise too many people would be guessing.
SteveIcon...09-10-2016 @ 09:24 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:
Sorry Steve but that's not correct. Everywhere the race info is listed: zwifts website, the zwiftpower results, their Facebook page, it clearly says FTP.
Using FTP is the only logical thing to do anyway otherwise too many people would be guessing.

I know and agree with what you say - it just doesn't seem to be what they always do.

In the opposite direction to the Iron Goat Race - my average was just over the FTP limit in a 40min race and I was told to move up a category, despite the fact that you would expect your 40min best to be better than your FTP. I guess in most races lasting roughly an hour it doesn't really matter as in a max effort your average power should be approximately the same as your ftp anyway.

I tend not to worry very much about what others are doing in the races other than using them to push me along. The accuracy of smart trainers is far too variable for races to be properly standardised at the moment. With accuracy of between +/- 2/5% depending on which turbo you could easily be 10% out on "real" power figures even if all the calibration has been done.
CuddlesIcon...09-10-2016 @ 09:31 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I completely agree, but when everyone else shoots up the road and you spend the vast majority of it on your own then what was the point in doing the race? Could have done exactly the same thing on my own at a time that was more convenient to me.

I only care about the training effect. I couldn't give a rats arse about actually doing well in the 'race'.
SteveIcon...09-10-2016 @ 09:32 
Member 255, 3732 posts
What percentage of ftp would you think you could manage for two hours? I'm guessing in a very well trained athlete it wouldn't be a lot less than ftp.
SteveIcon...09-10-2016 @ 09:44 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:I completely agree, but when everyone else shoots up the road and you spend the vast majority of it on your own then what was the point in doing the race? Could have done exactly the same thing on my own at a time that was more convenient to me.

I only care about the training effect. I couldn't give a rats arse about actually doing well in the 'race'.

I must admit I find the group rides much more useful than races. At my level they help to push me along on tempo or longer sweet spot efforts with maybe a few intervals along the way. I've never been able to stick with a group in a race the whole way and usually end up on my own which as you say sort of defeats the point as you may as well ride on your own.

Also I'm sure, whilst there will be some benefits in the short term, the level of effort is far too unpredictable to maximise progress long term and a more structured/progressive approach is going to give better results.
CuddlesIcon...09-10-2016 @ 10:07 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:What percentage of ftp would you think you could manage for two hours? I'm guessing in a very well trained athlete it wouldn't be a lot less than ftp.

It's a fair question/point. I'd be surprised if too many would be over 95% of FTP. But I should probably do some research.

95% would put the top end at 3.8kg. While that may not sound like much of a difference, in reality 3.8 vs 4 on the road is huge.
BoarIcon...09-10-2016 @ 11:01 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25555 posts
Administrator
for me , anything up to 1 hour is what I look for in what should be an enjoyable race , other riders are a must to keep the fun going.

even had I managed to start the race last night, I may not have lasted the course , who knows.
CuddlesIcon...09-10-2016 @ 13:48 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Kickr sill not working with zwift: works fine with everything else.

Hasn't worked since the last update of zwift. I hope those Silicon Valley backers are patient!

Went up Box Hill in whatever mode it's stuck in - 7m14

12345678910 ... 135136 ... 137138139140141142143144145146147

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitThe Cycling Thread
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions