Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training Videos192.5kg bench press

192.5kg bench press

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

ChrisMcCarthy
If it's any consolation he was the same when he posted at the P&B.
ladies please!
polkovnikostin said:
Wasn't your 200kg 'PB' touch and go and wearing elbow sleeves?

Yep take a look back at the thread I posted titled 200kg bench (gym lift) and how I went on to right the description that It was touch and go and even wearing elbow sleeves I even went onto say how I was at a higher body weight of 122kg
polkovnikostin
milsy said:
Yep take a look back at the thread I posted titled 200kg bench (gym lift) and how I went on to right the description that It was touch and go and even wearing elbow sleeves I even went onto say how I was at a higher body weight of 122kg

I know, but you've posted it as a PB at 118kg body weight.

As an international standard IPF lifter I'm just surprised you're comfortable claiming it as a PB.
dannyboy73
x2
Rico said:ladies please!
Aquarian
polkovnikostin said:
Mark Rippetoe / Starting Strength cultists are always like this.

That's a pretty ignorant and generalised remark made by someone who knows very little about me or my training history.

Doing part of one lift in a fashion recommended by a well known coach is hardly being a cultist of the person. I incorporate aspects of many different techniques in my lifts - it doesn't mean I fully endorse or reject any technique or program because I happen to agree or disagree with the rest of its philosophy.

I'm not dogmatic in my approach to lifting - I try out different things and modify them to work for me.

For example using 531 I don't stick strictly to the percentages - only increment the weight by the same amount between sets - and I have never done a deload.

I've been lifting long enough now - 26 years or so - to understand my body and mind and how to get the best out of it. It's still a work in progress and I'm learning new stuff all the time and don't claim to know it all by a long shot.

Perhaps you would care to share your lifting history with the rest of us since you seem to have such an encyclopaedic knowledge about everything training-related?
polkovnikostin
walker said:Touchy.

Oh, and they're always touchy too.
polkovnikostin said:
As an international standard IPF lifter I'm just surprised you're comfortable claiming it as a PB.

Can understand where your coming from personally I have always had gymlift pb's and comp pb's

As for sugden I think you have to take the numbers under the tag lines with a pinch of salt after all its just a forum could put any old numbers up there

Think it will be along time before I could truly call myself an international ipf standard lifter I had a good run as a junior and got a taste for it but open level is a hole different ball game
Aquarian
polkovnikostin said:

It's a gym lift - not a comp lift - and I have seen plenty of comp lifts passed that shouldn't have been.

I have no issue with him claiming it was a pb - especially as he got it easily enough to suggest he would've gotten it without the elbow sleeves.

Pausing doesn't take much out of my lifts either - I could pause 175 or more for 3 seconds when I could do 180.

I personally have no idea what I weigh before I lift or can even be sure the weights weigh what they claim to - even though I use mainly the Eleiko and Ivanko plates. I use a Texas Power Bar for most of my lifts and it weighs 20.4kg - so I could claim an extra 0.4kg plus the weights of the collars if I wanted to be really anal.

People should just take these lifts as what they are and not turn them into religious debates - even if lifting is a religion to some of us Wink
dr_hazbun
It's a big raw press but it's very poorly executed. You're an experienced lifter so your lifts will undoubtedly get analysed in more detail by other experienced lifters and if they see fault in them, then expect some criticism. You've also got to understand that the typed word comes across very differently compared to the spoken one. A newbie (or Smalls for that matter) who's just posted his first shaky 100 bench will just get bland encouragement and pats on the back but you don't need that.

You've just had some very experienced lifters offer you advice on your squatting in your other thread but your responses seem very dismissive (even taking interpretation of the written work into account). I'm starting to wonder why you even post your vid threads in the first place?
Aquarian
milsy said:
As for sugden I think you have to take the numbers under the tag lines with a pinch of salt after all its just a forum could put any old numbers up there

Personally I use it to remind myself of when I did what - more than as a comparison tool - although sometimes I forget to update it for a few days which messes this up - I wish there was a way to alter the date on it too.

Yeah you can't really do an accurate comparison using the pb chart since equipment, form, and not even knowing what they lifted unless using totally calibrated weights and bars vary so much. Then there is the whole issue of PED usage which no one talks openly about.

Comparisons are fun if you don't take it too seriously and feel threatened when someone similar to you, or much younger than you, outlifts you.

There's always someone better than you at something out there - it does not mean you are s**t or can't catch up to them eventually - it just may take a lot longer than someone naturally or un-naturally stronger than you - which is part of the fun of lifting for me at least.
Aquarian
dr_hazbun said:It's a big raw press but it's very poorly executed.

Yes the execution was poor but so was my general strength on that day. After benching I do an overhead press. On that day instead of going for something between 130 and 135kg I quit at 112.5x3 because I was exhausted.

I have mentioned this many times but it doesn't seem to register for some. This was the last of 4 workouts over 8 days where I maxed out 8 lifts. Imagine the effort that takes for a 42 year old natural raw lifter who doesn't sleep brilliantly at the best of times. It's hard enough peaking on one day - try doing it on 4 days. And the bench comes at the end of this - in fact I did a 187.5 cgbp partial (got it over the uprights but didn't lock out) 4 days earlier and I wasn't even sure I could do that yesterday at one point.

I posted it because I was happy to get close to my pb on a day when I was decidedly sub-par. I should have mentioned this in detail but as I said earlier it would have come across as making excuses - maybe it is.

I'm happy with my effort and it's a good indicator of my current strength levels

You're an experienced lifter so your lifts will undoubtedly get analysed in more detail by other experienced lifters and if they see fault in them, then expect some criticism. You've also got to understand that the typed word comes across very differently compared to the spoken one. A newbie (or Smalls for that matter) who's just posted his first shaky 100 bench will just get bland encouragement and pats on the back but you don't need that.

No I don't need praise or encouragement but naturally one gets defensive when you get terse 1 line comments which don't really add much. I reacted badly.

You've just had some very experienced lifters offer you advice on your squatting in your other thread but your responses seem very dismissive (even taking interpretation of the written work into account).

I don't think you read my responses properly. I explained that I had tried squatting more classically for many years. I have had a lot of knee pain in the past and hence find it much easier and comfortable to squat in the way I do.

I wasn't being dismissive of people commenting on my technique - if anything they were being somewhat dismissive of my explanations. Has anyone tried squatting the way I do? I even posted a reply showing how Mike Tuchsherer - a top competitive IPF powerlifter squats in a very similar manner. Did anyone bother investigating this?

People do not always use the same technique to good effect and safety.

I'm starting to wonder why you even post your vid threads in the first place?

Well clearly I'm desperate for attention and need lots of pats on my back...not!

On a superficial level yes it's nice to get compliments - but because my lifting is somewhat different in technique and programming to many others I thought it may give others something different to try or think about if they are not progressing as desired.

I have tried the conventional path and never managed to make it work - perhaps there are others here who feel the same.

People who think I'm full of s**t fine - please feel free to ignore my posts in the future. I'm not trying to sell my philosophy to anyone else - it's there for you to consider or not.

I do enjoy a good debate but sometimes it's best to just live and let live.
Aquarian said:
I wasn't being dismissive of people commenting on my technique - if anything they were being somewhat dismissive of my explanations. Has anyone tried squatting the way I do? I even posted a reply showing how Mike Tuchsherer - a top competitive IPF powerlifter squats in a very similar manner. Did anyone bother investigating this?

Tuscherer squats with a lower bar position than you and maintains a neutral head position by looking at a spot several feet in front rather than straight down.

I agree that looking up doesnt help everyone from getting folded over, but high bar + looking almost straight down doesnt either.

Fair play on the squat, lifts on the limit are never going to be pretty.

Do you compete? Mid 700s total would be fairly competitive in GBPF.
Tell us what you want us to say
Aquarian
JonA81 said:

Tuscherer squats with a lower bar position than you and maintains a neutral head position by looking at a spot several feet in front rather than straight down.
I agree that looking up doesnt help everyone from getting folded over, but high bar + looking almost straight down doesnt either.

Yes there is a difference - but he doesn't squat that deep either so he can maintain a better position.

My squats are kind of hybrid between low and high bar - more of the former than the latter.

Fair play on the squat, lifts on the limit are never going to be pretty.
Do you compete? Mid 700s total would be fairly competitive in GBPF.

No I don't - maybe one day!

You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training Videos192.5kg bench press
Return to top View Desktop Site