A bit queasy

Ahhh come on, don't be like that!
dr_hazbunIcon...21-12-2012 @ 15:03 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Post Edited: 21.12.2012 @ 15:06 PM by dr_hazbun
I enjoy both partaking in and watching equipped powerlifting. Having lifted in suits and bench shirts, I can really appreciate what it takes to get strong in gear. It's difficult and requires mastery of technique.

I do also enjoy unequipped powerlifting and applaud the IPF for things like the classic and so on. I can fully appreciate the desire to demonstrate unassisted strength.

Sometimes equipped lifting can take the piss, particularly with monolifts, high squats, belly benches etc but I think the IPF has it just right. Well executed lifts in single ply are, in my humble opinion, a beauty to watch.
DanIcon...21-12-2012 @ 19:21 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
brownbear said:I see your point dan and agree on some levels, but not about the belt.

I definitely agree about the suit. I have pictures of fat useless American c**ts walking around telling everyone they squat 800 and bench 500.... Well if you wear briefs a suit wraps to squat and a ridiculous shirt to bench course you will. I've seen training logs of these guys and they'll mention a new lifter hitting 700 squat in the kit! Lol f**k off. Said fat useless c**ts definitely go around telling people they bench 500 and people will believe it at face value.

Kind of gay as it devalues actually impressive lifting.

A 140 unequipped drug free bench is impressive and 180 is amazing, ursus is just something else.

Same goes for the squat, an uneq drug free 220 is impressive and 260 is amazing.

Deadlift I've never seen someone who could pull 300 suited but 240 without

I'm glad I'm coming across as I intended. I'm not trying to take anything away from equipped lifting, each to their own and at the end of the day it's only my opinion.
I have sat and watched equipped comps all day long and come away with no idea how much any of them could actually lift, and not even certain that the strongest man has won.
My first question to an equipped lifter is how much can they lift without all the clobber on !
Just that my own preference is for a full range of motion, equipment free - beltless - lift.
That's how I train and those are the only numbers I can identify with.

And with you 100% on the fat american c**ts Wink
FazcIcon...21-12-2012 @ 19:37 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Dan said:I have sat and watched equipped comps all day long and come away with no idea how much any of them could actually lift, and not even certain that the strongest man has won.

Could the same not be said for most strength sports? Tom bought this point up on his first session at his Oly club recently. His missus asked him how he did, he said he didn't lift much compared to everyone else. She asked was he the strongest guy there, he said was.

In some respects he probably was, in other respects he definitely wasn't.
DanIcon...21-12-2012 @ 23:20 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Fazc said:
Could the same not be said for most strength sports? Tom bought this point up on his first session at his Oly club recently. His missus asked him how he did, he said he didn't lift much compared to everyone else. She asked was he the strongest guy there, he said was.
In some respects he probably was, in other respects he definitely wasn't.

I take your point, people tend to be good at things they train at.
But in PL we are all doing the 3 same movements - in theory at least - that we do week in, week out in training.
The strongest guy SHOULD win but equipment, for me at least, only serves to muddy the waters.
Anyway, we all know Oly lifting is all technique Wink
FazcIcon...21-12-2012 @ 23:23 
Member 38, 6253 posts
Yeah, I don't really believe that to be honest I was just making conversation.

However in my (relatively limited) experience in equipment, it is still very much about strength just in a different way. You need strength to fight against the suit, to make it work for you. It's not as simple as putting it on for support and it adding kilos, or just a matter of learning the technique. I know this sounds like a silly distinction if you've never used gear but believe me it's a large part of it. So I guess my perspective is a little different.

Dan said:Anyway, we all know Oly lifting is all technique Wink

Smoke 'n' mirrors Wink
IainKendrickIcon...22-12-2012 @ 12:50 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
*takes deep breath*

Nahh.. one thread a year I think on this topic for me Tongue
FazcIcon...22-12-2012 @ 12:54 
Member 38, 6253 posts
IainKendrick said:*takes deep breath*

We're having a civilised debate here, Kendrick. Wink
IainKendrickIcon...22-12-2012 @ 13:04 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Happy
davidhowarthIcon...22-12-2012 @ 13:06 
Americans 'win' with cheese
Member 2293, 1493 posts
When we say squats...... how much knee bend are we talking about?

I look at raw as shoes only but that is just me.
force10Icon...22-12-2012 @ 13:09 
Drugs cheat
Member 3860, 630 posts
SQ 335, BP 210, DL 330
875.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Raw is what it is Raw, but then again in the interest of safety we should throw stupidity out the gym door and put a belt on when DLing and squatting, I even think knee wraps should be worn. If you f**k a knee up your basicly done in for a long time.
Personaly I train to over 200kg without but wouldnt risk an injury just to say, 'oh yeh raw is wearing nothing at all.'
ChrisGloverIcon...22-12-2012 @ 13:13 
does 'bench only' comps ...LOL
Member 1469, 377 posts
Jordan said:This is a mind-numbing topic!

Baffles me how people think that wearing a belt isn't raw. Weightlifters use belts. Does this make their lift a "unequipped" snatch or clean and jerk?

THIS!!
davidhowarthIcon...22-12-2012 @ 13:25 
Americans 'win' with cheese
Member 2293, 1493 posts
Chris and Jordan I see what is being said but dont think you can match the two up.

raw is a mess made by powerlifters so the weigtlifting thing of saying they where knee wraps and belts is not the same.
robocopIcon...22-12-2012 @ 14:01 
Commentators say: he benches like a bodybuilder
Member 231, 1873 posts
SQ 400, BP 275, DL 365
1040.0 kgs @ 135.7kgs Eq
Post Edited: 22.12.2012 @ 14:06 PM by robocop
davidhowarth said:Chris and Jordan I see what is being said but dont think you can match the two up.

raw is a mess made by powerlifters so the weigtlifting thing of saying they where knee wraps and belts is not the same.

well actualy it is the same
people are saying raw is no belt and no wraps but weightlifter A can lift against weightlifter B one can have a belt on and knee wraps and other can have nothing
so why does weightlifting (which powerliftings origins are from) not feel the need to class these lifts as different?

if someone does not want to use anything whilst lifting thats fair enough but IMO, no suits on is a raw lift, lifting with suits on is equipped.

when i did strongman in Scotland we had a guy who used to go round saying that all belts, suits and even neoprenes should be banned, he used to show up in a pair of boots and a sweatpants......and spent most of the year injured.
For me a belt is not an aid its protection from injury
MalloneIcon...22-12-2012 @ 14:54 
Has achieved nothing.
Member 1386, 292 posts
Fatpete said:Why do so many people feel the need to write the word "raw" in this context in capital letters when it is so clearly wrong to do so ?

It's not "raw" it's "RAW" . I.m on recharge, you would all be negged for getting it wrong. RAW lifting distinguishes from the use of cheater equipment.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/negged/grand/di-B1RF.gif

There is a 100% RAW fed

The 100% RAW Powerlifting Federation is just that, 100% RAW. They don't allow shirts, wraps or lifting suits of any kind. They also are a drug free organization. Their stated goal is to "showcase powerlifters safely competing with no special "support" equipment and 100% Drug-Free!"

The 100% RAW Powerlifting Federation was established in 1999. They primarily offer events on the East coast. The do have international affiliates in Brazil, Serbia, India, Turkey, Urkraine, China and Asia.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions