Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosMalanichev Andrey, squat 470kg

Malanichev Andrey, squat 470kg

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Titch said:
Massive weights.

The squats look completely bent though. I think I'll just watch Oly lifters in future if I want to be impressed by a squat - this moving 3 inches up and down does nothing for the sport.

Non-deep squatters should be castrated.

Balyevs looks suspect, but Malanichevs looks spot on. I assume your taking up oly lifting now?

Happy
Post Edited: 25.05.2009 @ 11:39 AM by Titch
IainKendrick said:
Titch said:
Massive weights.

The squats look completely bent though. I think I'll just watch Oly lifters in future if I want to be impressed by a squat - this moving 3 inches up and down does nothing for the sport.

Balyevs looks suspect, but Malanichevs looks spot on. I assume your taking up oly lifting now?

Happy

No.

I like deep squats, that's all.

Huge weights being thrown around in those vids, I just wish it was mandatory for the squats to be deeper.

Happy
Post Edited: 25.05.2009 @ 20:04 PM by Rob
You have to be taking the piss Titch? How deep do you want the squats to be... that 470 was a deep and easy squat.

http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/uploads/misc/74451243247995.jpg

Belyaev's will have been below parallel too, but only just much as it had to be.. the guy is a master technician... there's no other way you squat 400 at around 90-100 kilos.

Maybe you and the lads should write your own rule book??? Roll-Eyes
Rob, no need to get stroppy.

Belyaev is a beast.

Not a fan of his squat depth though.

I seem to struggle with a third of the weight these guys are shifting, I just like deep squatters.
Titch said:
I seem to struggle with a third of the weight these guys are shifting, I just like deep squatters.

I understand where you are coming from, but if the squat passed under IPF rules, as it clearly did, then it's a good powerlifting squat. If you don't like powerlifting squats that's fair enough.
IainKendrick said:
Titch said:

I understand where you are coming from, but if the squat passed under IPF rules, as it clearly did, then it's a good powerlifting squat. If you don't like powerlifting squats that's fair enough.

I love powerlifting squats, when they're deep.Wink

470kg is a huge weight. As is 425kg. I genuinely prefer the sight of a deep squat over a "technically sound" one though.

I'll get back to you when I can squat 240kg raw and deep.Wink
Steve
Post Edited: 25.05.2009 @ 12:52 PM by Steve
Titch said:
Massive weights.

If you watch many olympic lifters squat you'll actually see that they don't squat as deep (if you compare their hips to their knees).

Weightlifters allow their knees to travel forward during the squat and often struggle to make depth if they switch to powerlifting
?
Steve said:
If you watch many olympic lifters squat you'll actually see that they don't squat as deep (if you compare their hips to their knees).
Weightlifters allow their knees to travel forward during the squat and often struggle to make depth if they switch to powerlifting

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/612/olympicsquat.jpg
Confused
Post Edited: 25.05.2009 @ 13:46 PM by Alex
Even I think that was well in! Nothing wrong with it, apart from the kit of course lol

Could have been loads deeper, but it's just a PL comp
Steve
MarkClegg said:
Steve said:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/612/olympicsquat.jpg
Confused

There are many weightlifters who do squat very deep, but there are also a lot where their knee position means they would struggle to meet the requirements of a powerlifting competition, despite a large amount of knee bend and an apparently deep squat.

Check out the bottom position of this squat (I'm too old to know how to take stills off it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3xEhNZnIiU

The knees have travelled forward right over the toes and are significantly bent (far more than most powerlifters) and yet the depth is at best dubious compared to what would be required in a powerlifting competition.

Del when at his first British struggled with squats - lots of knee bend, but a struggle to reach depth.

I trained for many years with Keith Boxell who was unbelievably strong, squatting over 290kg at 90kg (with just a weightlifting belt). His knees were bent to almost a 45 degree angle, way more than necessary, but would have still struggled to reaching powerlifting depth.
BritishBarbell
Just to be clear, British Barbell has no intention of creating its own rule book, we are happy to use the IPF Technical Rules.

In my opinion, from these camera angles, both of these squats do enough to meet the rules.
Some awesome lifting there!
LOL, great pic from mark and robs pic shiws any deeper and no man would have gotten back up !! picture perfect
Post Edited: 25.05.2009 @ 18:28 PM by Alex
Maybe I'm being thick here, but that makes no sense to me Steve. How can the hips get any lower without the knees bending more?

I don't think Andy would call that double ass to grass or anything either, was probably no need for it with 275kg

You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosMalanichev Andrey, squat 470kg
Return to top View Desktop Site