Who's Online - 0 members and 242 guests

Jim Wendler Article

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

walkerIcon...22-01-2013 @ 11:52 
Does not need Advice, knows everything.
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
OwenL said:Who wants to be strong and fat, when you can be strong and ripped? Silly man Grin

Can you be as strong as you can be ripped though?
AdamTIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:03 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
Im doing his 5/3/1 programme, im not normally the best for sticking to a program, but i genuinely enjoy this one, easy to follow and im beating a lot of rep pb.
HywelIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:12 
Member 3126, 626 posts
SQ 270, BP 160, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
AdamT said:Im doing his 5/3/1 programme, im not normally the best for sticking to a program, but i genuinely enjoy this one, easy to follow and im beating a lot of rep pb.

Me too, 5/3/1 has helped my pbs out no end, I'm 16 cycles in Cool
AdamTIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:26 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
Hywel said:
Me too, 5/3/1 has helped my pbs out no end, I'm 16 cycles in Cool

It is good if you do exactly what it says. Im onto fourth training cycle now, so still very easy, i also started off a bit lighter than the 85-90% of training max. The plan is to try and run it for a full year, then retest my maxes then. Hopefully they will have gone up a fair bit
OwenLIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:28 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
walker said:
Can you be as strong as you can be ripped though?

i once was fat (95kg) and moderately strong (for age and stuff), Im now lighter, less BF and stronger.

Fat dont lift weights, muscle does Happy If i was 95kg at 10% bf (around the BF i am now) then yes, id be stronger. But thats not being fat Happy

Does that even answer your question? I dont even know. But yes.

If you dont care about bodyfat %'s then yes, eat loads because calories + rest + training = strength gains.
AdamTIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:32 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
OwenL said:
i once was fat (95kg) and moderately strong (for age and stuff), Im now lighter, less BF and stronger.
Fat dont lift weights, muscle does Happy If i was 95kg at 10% bf (around the BF i am now) then yes, id be stronger. But thats not being fat Happy
Does that even answer your question? I dont even know. But yes.
If you dont care about bodyfat %'s then yes, eat loads because calories + rest + training = strength gains.

Extra weight on top of muscle will always be benifical for strength, but obviously some people can still put on more muscle while losing weight, so will probably therefore be stronger than before
milsyIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:34 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
I was given this article on a print out when I started training at that point I didn't even know who wendler was at that point but reading that was a turning point in my training

I think things wendler says should be taken with a pinch of salt I spoke to him on facebook pm and he was sound just seemed abit argumentative with strong opinions we didn't even talk about lifting and he came across that way
brownbearIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:36 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
milsy said:I was given this article on a print out when I started training at that point I didn't even know who wendler was at that point but reading that was a turning point in my training

I think things wendler says should be taken with a pinch of salt I spoke to him on facebook pm and he was sound just seemed abit argumentative with strong opinions we didn't even talk about lifting and he came across that way

All the Internet authors (who all say f**k the intrernet ironically) seem to create a name by being unnecessarily argumentative
OwenLIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:38 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
Extra weight on top of muscle will always be benifical for strength, but obviously some people can still put on more muscle while losing weight, so will probably therefore be stronger than before

Yeah true, but i dont think being heavy as fook will answer all your strength questions. If the only way to get stronger is to get fat as f**k, id address other issues with your training.

You may then reach a point where its necessary to bulk like hell to get strength increases, but i think that average Joe thinks that "oh hes heavier so he can lift more" not necessarily.

I say "you" i dont mean YOU lool, i mean people in general.

I certainly fell into the trap of "im a powerlifter, i can eat loads" (in my powerlifting days lol) and i didnt gain a great deal. Now im far fitter, and faster and stronger Happy
AdamTIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:42 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
OwenL said:
Yeah true, but i dont think being heavy as fook will answer all your strength questions. If the only way to get stronger is to get fat as f**k, id address other issues with your training.
You may then reach a point where its necessary to bulk like hell to get strength increases, but i think that average Joe thinks that "oh hes heavier so he can lift more" not necessarily.
I certainly fell into the trap of "im a powerlifter, i can eat loads" (in my powerlifting days lol) and i didnt gain a great deal. Now im far fitter, and faster and stronger Happy

Well look at some of the strong guys on this board that dont weigh much. Shows you can still be very strong while being extra lean. However a lot of people have to diet hard and do loads of cardio to get lean, so they will lose strength if getting lean is their priorty.
VanillaGorillaIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:43 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
brownbear said:
All the Internet authors (who all say f**k the intrernet ironically) seem to create a name by being unnecessarily argumentative

No they f**king don't.
brownbearIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:44 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
VanillaGorilla said:
No they f**king don't.

Lol you included Wink
OwenLIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:45 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
Well look at some of the strong guys on this board that dont weigh much. Shows you can still be very strong while being extra lean. However a lot of people have to diet hard and do loads of cardio to get lean, so they will lose strength if getting lean is their priorty.

I know, i think i tried to say that. I lose my direction when i answer questions on here and ramble on saying other crap lol Happy

And yeah they will, but what if they lost weight slower? Less of a calorie deficit - less strength loss? Maybe.

Depends how quick they want to get lean i guess.
AdamTIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:49 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
OwenL said:
I know, i think i tried to say that. I lose my direction when i answer questions on here and ramble on saying other crap lol Happy
And yeah they will, but what if they lost weight slower? Less of a calorie deficit - less strength loss? Maybe.
Depends how quick they want to get lean i guess.

Correct. If you lose weight slowly, then any loss of strength shouldnt be to drastic. Its probably better getting lean slowly, as I find it easier to hold on to any of your muscle. If you hammer intense cardio for 5 or 6 days a week, you will ultimately loose some of your muscle and you will not have proper recovery to continue getting stronger.
milsyIcon...22-01-2013 @ 12:51 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
OwenL said:

I suppose the article can be seen in a few ways the way it came across to me was

Stop thinking about how you look don't eat to look a certain way don't train to look a certain way

Train to get stronger
Train to get faster
Eat to get stronger
Eat to get faster

Because at the end of the day that's what counts lifting more than everyone being faster than everyone not looming better than everyone unless your a bodybuilder of course

Look at top level sprinters who are stacked I bet they don't eat so they have visable abs or train to get a lot of muscle mass they train to be fast and powerful the look is a byproduct

Btw anyone seen wendler recently he's stacked

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions