Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumNutritionHow much protein?

How much protein?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Steve
Just read a running website where they advise people to kee p up the protein uptake.

They advise t least 60 to 90 grams a day. Shouldn't that be per meal, at leat 6 times per day?

How much protein do you try to eat and is it necessary or over rated?
It depends on SO many factors - 60-90 could be for an average person, not someone who's breaking down muscle tissue. You WON'T recover from hard training sessions with 60g protein. Your amino acid pool would also be much greater, and 60-90g will probably see you going backwards as the breakdown of proteins/catabolic rate will be greater than anabolic rate. I try and get 180-200g a day, or 1g or more per lb of bodyweight.
Post Edited: 08.12.2012 @ 18:49 PM by luke00
For optimal protein synthesis, some studies suggest 1.5g per kilo of body weight. However, protein cannot be utilized by the body properly without fibre. If you join my page on FB Luke Fullbrook personal training I have written an article on high protein diets.
luke00 said:For optimal protein synthesis, some studies suggest 1.5g per kilo of body weight. However, protein cannot be utilized by the body properly without protein.

A higher percentage of a 200g will get absorbed in comparison to 100g?
Funky_monkey said:
A higher percentage of a 200g will get absorbed in comparison to 100g?

No not a higher percentage, every body has their upper limit but with fiber it ensures that the body will absorb this optimal amount, whereas protein on its own it will not. The dietary fiber has to be rotated to as the body very quickly gets used to the same source.
luke00 said:
No not a higher percentage, every body has their upper limit but with fiber it ensures that the body will absorb this optimal amount, whereas protein on its own it will not. The dietary fiber has to be rotated to as the body very quickly gets used to the same source.

So eating broccoli with every meal isn't as effective?
brownbear said:
So eating broccoli with every meal isn't as effective?

Lol. No, but if that's reference to my diet I rotate the veg and the nuts and supplement my dietary protein. Rotation is the key.
I add chickpeas and oats to food as bulking agents, so burgers, stews and casseroles still have a decent fibre content. What significance does the ROTATION of fibres and proteins have versus ensuring a healthy daily dose of both?
luke00 said:
Lol. No, but if that's reference to my diet I rotate the veg and the nuts and supplement my dietary protein. Rotation is the key.

not to your diet at all. just sometimes notice bodybuilders tend to eat, chicken and brocolli (+rice) a lot!

i always find brocolli easiest veg to eat too
IrishMarc
http://castironknowledge.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/dietary-protei...

Long story short 1.2 to 2.2g per kilo but nothing hugely concrete.
As above. I'd start with a rough 1.5g per kg bw and go for there. Don't need 6 meals a day either. Just get the food in as you can If you need 6 meals cool. If you can get it in with less cool. Have some sort of sensible plan around training and good to go. Assess how your going and add more food as required.

This assumes your trying to add muscle mass. If you not there's even less worry about the above. Unless you have a very high training workload?
luke00 said: protein cannot be utilized by the body properly without protein.

Makes sense to me.
martin said:
Makes sense to me.

Obviously a typo Grin
luke00 said:
Obviously a typo Grin

That's what confused me!
Funky_monkey said:
That's what confused me!

Without fibre*

You are here: HomeForumNutritionHow much protein?
Return to top View Desktop Site