REGISTER
 
You are here: Home → Forum → Training Journals → Cookie's Journal

Cookie's Journal

12345678

CookieIcon...08-11-2009 @ 20:00 
Avatar
Member 711, 150 posts
SQ 142.5, BP 102.5, DL 208
453.0 kgs @ 60kgs UnEq
Well I'm back from Nottingham after a long weekend so I'm writing up my weekend starting with the weight cut prep.

PSUK Championship (GBPF) Sat 7th Nov - Nottingham

2 weeks out - weight 147lbs
1 week out - 138.4lbs
Tue AM - 138.2
Wed AM - 137.0
Wed PM - 138.0
Thu AM - 136.0
Thu PM - 136.4
Fri AM - 135.0
Fri PM - 135.8

The above was done through water loading and slowly cutting out carbs. By the end I was clearing 10 or 11 litres of water a day easily and I loaded Vit C on the Fri to help the clear out.

Saturday morning I woke up at 6am for the 8am weigh-in.
My scale said 134.0 and the target was below 132lbs for the 60kg class.
Did the hot bath thing for 20 mins, then a further 10 mins then put sweats on, with the scale showing 133.0.
Did a few interval jogs in the car park when I got to Nottingham Uni Gym, to get the last of the water out.

I dried off and weighed in at 59.7kg at the first time of asking,
and then over the next hour had 2 litres of water, a box of jaffa cakes, a large bag of peanut M&Ms, and 2 litres of Powerade, and felt fantastic.

Lifting was slightly delayed until 1015am, and I gradually warmed the squats up to a single with 90kg for my 105kg opener.

Not surprisingly I was the lightest there so I opened the lifting for the whole comp.
Squat attempts:
105kg- Easy lift. Great confidence boost. 3 white lights.
115kg- An absolute grind coming up. In my head it felt like I was fighting for at least 10 seconds but the video has it at 2 secs at the most. 3 white lights.

From that I knew I couldn't reproduce my gym PB of 120kg as I had no more to give. So i opted out of my third lift.

Bench
85kg- easy. 3 white lights.
90kg- ok. 3 white lights.
92.5kg- Set up was wrong. Touch on the chest was too high. Pushed it back too close over my head and bounced it off the support. Fail. Slightly disappointed that I fluffed it as I did get it up, but I think I failed on a slight head movement too. This would have broken the 67.5kg Bench record of 91kg.

DL
I revised my opener downward as I knew the weight cut had taken its toll on me, and I didn't want to bomb out at the last section.
135kg- Easy
145kg- It went up fine for 3 whites but was getting there.
155kg- This was a gym PB equalling attempt and was the lift I needed to reach a total of 360kg and qualify (just) for the full GBPF nationals next year. It came up about 2- 3 inches, and I just didn't have the fight to finish it. I was slightly disappointed but I feel I'd given it my all.

Final total: 350kg
By virtue of the fact I am the first PSUK 60kg competitor I now hold the records and won. Yes it's somewhat of a hollow victory beating nobody but my lad's chuffed with the little winner's medal.

No pics from the event due to camera problems, but I do have the lifts on video. If I ever figure out how to do it I'll put some on here for your amusement.

Also thanks for the comments and messages of encouragement- it's always appreciated.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...08-11-2009 @ 20:23 
Avatar
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Good lifting man.

There's no such thing as a hollow victory, a win is a win, it isn't your fault nobody else turned up! At least that's what I told myself when I didn't have anyone to beat the other week!

Any plans to compete in 67.5s in future?
richards9876Icon...08-11-2009 @ 20:30 
Avatar
Still mostly bodybuilding
Member 501, 10465 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 250
620.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
Nice work Cookie - well done on being a record holder.

Like Luuukey said - no such thing as an empty victory.
dan302Icon...08-11-2009 @ 20:49 
Avatar
i shy away from hard work
Member 549, 2761 posts
SQ 250, BP 132.5, DL 282.5
665.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
great lifting mate, im really impressed with your bench! and a victory is a victory
Paul_DIcon...08-11-2009 @ 21:07 
Avatar
Hey mate, my name is Paul Dudley
Member 632, 3628 posts
SQ 200, BP 155, DL 282.5
637.5 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Good job in the comp mate, well done!

Paul
CookieIcon...09-11-2009 @ 12:34 
Avatar
Member 711, 150 posts
SQ 142.5, BP 102.5, DL 208
453.0 kgs @ 60kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.11.2009 @ 12:35 PM by Cookie
Video from the comp:

just_tIcon...09-11-2009 @ 12:36 
Avatar
Mr.Fit
Member 164, 5028 posts
SQ 170, BP 135, DL 230
535.0 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
ahhh i know who you are. im the guy who was with dil. nice lifting on the day mate
tonyjb72Icon...09-11-2009 @ 14:10 
Avatar
abs by summer 2011? Experts opinions vary
Member 290, 2552 posts
Nice lifting Cookie!! Sorry I couldn't make it this year - next year deffo though. Any other lifters from GMP?
CookieIcon...09-11-2009 @ 14:44 
Avatar
Member 711, 150 posts
SQ 142.5, BP 102.5, DL 208
453.0 kgs @ 60kgs UnEq
Lukey: I'm staying as a 60 for now, but need to strip down a bit so I don't ever need to do a stupid massive weight cut again.

Just_t: ahh I know who you are too. Cheers for your help in the warmups.

Tony: Nope just me as team GMP this year. Glad to hear you'll be back next year but I can see why you gave it a miss- it was a big hit for the finances. I'll probably put something in Brief and try to rally some people for next year.
tonyjb72Icon...09-11-2009 @ 14:58 
Avatar
abs by summer 2011? Experts opinions vary
Member 290, 2552 posts
Cookie said:

Tony: Nope just me as team GMP this year.


I know how that feels! LOL

Cookie said:I'll probably put something in Brief and try to rally some people for next year.


That'll be good. Might even get some funding from Sports and Social!!
d_singhIcon...09-11-2009 @ 22:32 
Gillette - The best a man can get
Member 466, 1389 posts
SQ 196, BP 120, DL 254
570.0 kgs @ 74kgs UnEq
top vid mate and great performance . look forwards to seeing your progress
CookieIcon...26-11-2009 @ 13:07 
Avatar
Member 711, 150 posts
SQ 142.5, BP 102.5, DL 208
453.0 kgs @ 60kgs UnEq
Right back to it.

I was planning on having a week off after the comp anyway,
and then I tweaked my right thigh again training at work.
So I had another week off to try to let it mend.

Sunday 22nd Nov
Light Bench - 60kg 6 sets of 3

Monday 23rd Nov
Squat - 95kg 6 sets of 2

Thurs 26th Nov
Squat - 60kg 6 sets of 2
Bench - 50 x 8, 60 x 5, 70 x 3, 80 x 2, 85 x 1

Just trying to get back into it really.
Monday's squat workout was really hard.
It's the first day from the "Russian Squat Program" (Not Smolov).
That is based on 3 weeks of volume building to 6 x 6 with 80% 1RM,
and then 3 weeks of intensity for a new 1RM.

The 6 x 2 with 80% is the core workout and I found it a bit too hard to launch straight into the program. I'll try again Monday and see how I go.
CookieIcon...02-01-2010 @ 14:30 
Avatar
Member 711, 150 posts
SQ 142.5, BP 102.5, DL 208
453.0 kgs @ 60kgs UnEq
Not updated this in ages so this will be a catch up post to get me back up to date.

Week 1 - 30th Nov
Mon - Squat singles up to 110Kg
Bench Singles up to 80Kg

Thu - Bench EDT 80Kg 10 singles in 10 mins

Week 2 - 7th Dec
Mon - Bench EDT 82.5Kg 10 singles in 10 mins
(AM) Chins Max in 5 mins -> 30
OH Press 30Kg x5 x5 x5

Mon Squat Singles up to 110Kg
PM

Thu - Good Mornings up to 60x3 , 70x3, 80x3
(AM) Box Squat 20x5, 20x5, 30x5, 30x5, 40x5 (Struggling with flexibility getting feet wider and stopping knees caving in)
Box step up - 40Kg 5x5

PM Bench 80Kg x 5 singles
Bench 60Kg 5x5


Week 3 14th Dec
Tue - Bench up to 80x1, 85x1, 90x1
Bench 70kg x5, x5, x5
Pressups (slow) x8, x8 ,x8

Fri - GMs up to 60x3, 70x3, 82.5x3
Box Squat up to 60Kg x 5
Squats (slow) BW x8, x8, x8

Sun - Bench up to 80Kgx1, 85x1, 90xF (Long time since I failed on 90Kg. I blame having to unrack it myself and losing focus on tech).
Bench 72.5 x5, x3, x3
Pressups (slow) BW x8, x8 ,x8

Week 4 - 21st Dec
Tue - GMs up to 75x3, 85x3
Box Squat up to 65x5
Squat (Slow) BW x8, x8, x8

Sat - speed DL Conv 100Kg x1, x1, x1
speed DL sumo 100Kg x1, x1, x1
Bench 60Kg x singles x 10

Week 5 - 28th Dec
Mon - GMs up to 90x3
Box Squat up to 70x5
Partial DL (double over grip) 70 x3, 90 x3 (grip gives out)
(Left Hand Under grip) 110x5secs, 130, 150, 160xF (slipped with no chalk)
Squats (slow) BW 3x8

Wed - Clean + Push Press up to 50x1, 55x1, 60x1, 62.5x1, 65x1 (PB) 67.5xF
C+P 50Kg x3, x3, x3, x1 (held breath and blacked out) x3
Mil Press (slow) 5Kg 3x8
Chins BW x5, x5, x5

Thu - Wasn't planning on training but someone wanted help with bench.
Bench up to 80x1, 85x1, 87.5x1, 90x1, 95x1 PB
This was a grind but I know it was 95Kg. The PB at Catt's must have been on the "light bar" so I don't know what it actually was. This was the best I have benched in ages- probably because I had a spotter.

Sat - GM up to 85x5
Box Squat up to 95x1, 100x1, 105x1 PB
Squat (slow) BW 3x8

So now we are up to date, and 3 PBs in the last week.

Aims for this coming year:
Break 100Kg on the bench at 60Kg
Get DL up to around 170-180 by extra grip work
Increase squat past 120Kg (any improvement will do!)
CookieIcon...07-01-2010 @ 17:34 
Avatar
Member 711, 150 posts
SQ 142.5, BP 102.5, DL 208
453.0 kgs @ 60kgs UnEq
Mon 4th Jan

Bench- 50x3, 60x3, 65x3, 70x3, 75x3, 80x3
90x1, x1, x1
70x15
I've never really repped all out before, but was really pleased to hit all 3 90Kg's, and then to get 15 reps with what used to be hard.

Thurs 7th Jan

DL 60Kg x1, x1, x1
80 x1, x1
sumo 100 x1
110 x1
120 x1
130 x1
140 x1 (Chalk up hands and put on belt)
150 x1 (Ok but felt like I could do more, and was after breaking PB of 155Kg)
160 x1 (Good rep but felt I could squeeze more out.New PB by 5Kg)
I was tempted to just go for 165Kg while my luck was in but my training partner put it up to 170Kg and pulled it. So I thought why not give it a go.
170 x1 It went up with no hesitation. New PB by 15Kg!
I was spent here so called it a day.

I really think that the last few weeks built this huge DL PB. I've worked on grip (couldn't hold 160Kg at lock out last week!), worked on wide box squats for the start of the sumo, and my back with the GMs.

So chuffed with how training is going right now!
LuuuuuukeyIcon...08-01-2010 @ 11:54 
Avatar
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Well done on the PB!

12345678

You are here: Home → Forum → Training Journals → Cookie's Journal
© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions