Who's Online - 0 members and 171 guests

UK's Strongest Man 2012 events

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

drewIcon...25-07-2012 @ 16:30 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
BigT said:I can't defend having a Snatch in a strongman comp anymore, having just tried it. Its fecking s**te!

Was it too hard or too dangerous? Or both?
BigTIcon...25-07-2012 @ 16:59 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
Post Edited: 25.07.2012 @ 16:59 PM by BigT
I train by myself in a barn, nor do I have any experienced oly lifters to hand to train me. Its fecking hard, not dangerous as such but wouldn't be hard to imagine injuries occuring quite easily.

I kind of have to do an explosive star jump to get it almost passable but it still has a small press movement. I am not flexible enough, nor have the time to learn to catch it in the squat position. The squat catch and associated technique, in my mind, is dangerous for an untrained, solo trainer.
elitestrongmanIcon...25-07-2012 @ 17:15 
thats the way I do it, don't like it not my prob
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
BigT said:I train by myself in a barn, nor do I have any experienced oly lifters to hand to train me. Its fecking hard, not dangerous as such but wouldn't be hard to imagine injuries occuring quite easily.

I kind of have to do an explosive star jump to get it almost passable but it still has a small press movement. I am not flexible enough, nor have the time to learn to catch it in the squat position. The squat catch and associated technique, in my mind, is dangerous for an untrained, solo trainer.

come see me?
AKBCIcon...25-07-2012 @ 22:18 
Kettlebells RULE !!!
Member 3699, 407 posts
Personally I am looking forward to seeing the snatch. I would have thought that catching it overhead without a squat will be ok but no press-outs allowed?

Only thing I find odd about it (as I say I'm looking forward to it) is that weight for height is explosive and floor to overhead is if the athlete chooses/benefits from it being so. As a result I don't really get what the point of the event is. Seems overly technical for strongman and a poor test of any particular facet of strength?

I always thought one of the main principles of strongman was A to B in whatever way you can, hence hitched deads, conti cleans etc?

As I say, I'm still looking forward to seeing it as I imagine it'll actually be good to watch.
siovrhylIcon...25-07-2012 @ 22:29 
Wales strongest man 2012
Member 548, 1197 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 360
855.0 kgs @ 128kgs Eq
i spoke to glenn about this and he said with it being an olympic year he wanted to bring in a oly lift so they trialed it at the all irish strongest man and he got a lot of good feed back about it
brownbearIcon...25-07-2012 @ 22:53 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
Tom said "only full Olympic snatches" which to me would infer a squat snatch. Maybe a mis-communication but if they've said no muscle snatches and it must be a full snatch, then it appears to be fairly clear what's needed......It's going to be like watching car crash tv!
I think I might Sky+ it all but i fear by the time I've fast forwarded the adverts and s**t events there's only 15-minutes of footage left. Unhappy

Lol every program starting with 20 minutes of strongman profiles lol
BigTIcon...26-07-2012 @ 17:31 
Member 799, 1484 posts
Cheers Bob, I will try and get some dates sorted and will be in touch.
BigTIcon...07-08-2012 @ 16:21 
Member 799, 1484 posts
Watched an old Super Series last night from 09 (I think), in Norway, that had a max axle deadlift in. Only Pudz and Terry got 310kg then both failed 330kg.

Shows how much the sport has jumped forward when we will almost certainly see 330kg or more done in the UK's.
siovrhylIcon...07-08-2012 @ 20:55 
Wales strongest man 2012
Member 548, 1197 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 360
855.0 kgs @ 128kgs Eq
Yeah most definatly Chris gearing, James fennely ed hall tom will all pull more
richardlooneyIcon...12-08-2012 @ 12:58 
Member 2267, 2 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 300
770.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
For all the complaining about the different events, what will work and what wont work people are forgetting the huge effort glenn puts each year into constantly changing and coming up with new events to keep the sport fresh and interesting! we can all predict what the majority of events in this years WSM will be, thats even getting a bit dull events wise - the competitors are what makes WSM so interesting to watch.

Each year there are several new events in the uks, like them or love them they keep the interest of the public and spectators and they always present a fresh challenge to competitors! Its also a large financial investment to get new events and equipment made each year which most promotors are too lazy to do!

the majority of comps are dull and predictable to watch consisting of the usual - farmers, yoke, log, etc and there is usually a huge lack of imagination by promoters when it comes to strongman comps. this can never be said about the uks, while some events might not seem right or please everyone they are always new and interesting and makes the uks as popular as it is and keeps the interest of tv companies, public etc
ursusIcon...12-08-2012 @ 13:53 
Man up and have a fuckin coffee
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
richardlooney said:For all the complaining about the different events, what will work and what wont work people are forgetting the huge effort glenn puts each year into constantly changing and coming up with new events to keep the sport fresh and interesting! we can all predict what the majority of events in this years WSM will be, thats even getting a bit dull events wise - the competitors are what makes WSM so interesting to watch.

Each year there are several new events in the uks, like them or love them they keep the interest of the public and spectators and they always present a fresh challenge to competitors! Its also a large financial investment to get new events and equipment made each year which most promotors are too lazy to do!

the majority of comps are dull and predictable to watch consisting of the usual - farmers, yoke, log, etc and there is usually a huge lack of imagination by promoters when it comes to strongman comps. this can never be said about the uks, while some events might not seem right or please everyone they are always new and interesting and makes the uks as popular as it is and keeps the interest of tv companies, public etc

agree totally. Glenn is a legend, and thank god hes not stuck in the dark ages ,i think hes been creative, and regards the snatch, it will be fun and a fella with brute strength and a good grip should be able to muscle up a half decent weight with zero tech .

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions