REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 150 guests

UKSC Englands strongest Man southern Qualifier 2012

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

terryhollandsIcon...19-04-2012 @ 15:34 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
VanillaGorilla said:Just throwing this out there...

Do you think the number of qualification places should be based on the number of competitors from each region?

No, cause who is to say those 4 are any worse than the 4 from other qualifiers. Numbers doesn't mean quality. That is of course my opinion.
seankamoIcon...19-04-2012 @ 16:03 
invite only !
Member 1159, 760 posts
JC said:
Really?
There must be loads of lads how can do those weights!?
2-3 of the 105 guys....Sean Kennedy, Cowdrey could at least get a rep or 2
Mike Hawkins
Lloyd
Cuddles
Enzo
Will Egan
and thats just in 2secs off the top of my head. I always though the south had great open depth?

Would love too do this just to make the numbers up but I wouldn't make it through a light novice atm lol. Really hope this goes ahead my training partner chris gearing been putting a lot of hardwork in for this comp.
terryhollandsIcon...19-04-2012 @ 16:05 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
seankamo said:
Would love too do this just to make the numbers up but I wouldn't make it through a light novice atm lol. Really hope this goes ahead my training partner chris gearing been putting a lot of hardwork in for this comp.

Gonna be chris's break out year from what I am hearing! He has all the qualities to go all the way. Should be a good battle between him and Paul I think.
JFLIcon...19-04-2012 @ 18:43 
Englands strongest man 2011
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
the weights are good! there should be no excuses with weights at this level especially if they want to go to the UK's and if you want to go up a level you have to push yourself. More so now with world records getting bigger and faster every year!! The only thing im not keen on is the cut half way and that may be a reason.

Also the Royal Counties comp for that day in all fairness was posted long before this qualifyer was posted and IMO they shouldn't of done it on the same date.

I think there are enough competitors down here i just thinks its bad timing IMO!
Its unfortunate that the numbers for this comp are low and hope the numbers perk up before the deadline as im looking forward to this comp! Its nice to fight for your position and feel youve earned a place!
terryhollandsIcon...19-04-2012 @ 19:23 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Post Edited: 19.04.2012 @ 19:24 PM by terryhollands
JFL said:the weights are good! there should be no excuses with weights at this level especially if they want to go to the UK's and if you want to go up a level you have to push yourself. More so now with world records getting bigger and faster every year!! The only thing im not keen on is the cut half way and that may be a reason.

Also the Royal Counties comp for that day in all fairness was posted long before this qualifyer was posted and IMO they shouldn't of done it on the same date.

I think there are enough competitors down here i just thinks its bad timing IMO!
Its unfortunate that the numbers for this comp are low and hope the numbers perk up before the deadline as im looking forward to this comp! Its nice to fight for your position and feel youve earned a place!

Lloyd even if they don't you'll be a worthy representative of the south of england
JFLIcon...19-04-2012 @ 19:34 
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
cheers terry, means a lot bud
VanillaGorillaIcon...20-04-2012 @ 17:18 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Word on the street is that this is cancelled...?
MrSmallIcon...20-04-2012 @ 17:23 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
You're cancelled.
JFLIcon...20-04-2012 @ 18:04 
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
yer unfortunately the comp is cancelled due to only getting 4 competitors. These boys go through to the final automatically! Its a real shame it came to this i was looking forward to this comp and have been training for this for a few months now. But nevermind moving on, us southern lads will see you boys in the final and best of luck to the boys competing in the other qualifyers over the next 2 weeks!!

The boys that are through:
Paul Carter
Chris Gearing
Will Egan
Myself
ministryIcon...20-04-2012 @ 18:29 
Member 2357, 39 posts
Hi Everyone,
We would just like to clarify the situation here.
The U.K's strongest Man is one of the biggest comps this country does. The Southern Qualifier is always in April and nearly always on this weekend.It is very difficult to organise a competiton at the moment that does not clash with anything else as there are so many being held.

This year the organisers of the English regional qualifiers came together to agree the events so that the 3 seperate qualifiers were similar and fair and one wasnt easier than the others. This was done to standardise the levels of competitors who get to the England's finals and make sure one regional qualifier was not easier than the others.
The weights in the qualifiers have to be decent as in all honesty and as you know the weights for the England's Final are heavier.
We dont want to hold a competiton where the weights are easily achievable or not really beyond the reach of most averagely strong people. We are trying to find the strongest and unfortunately this will mean that numerous people will be unable to compete as the weights are just too heavy. There is no point having light weights in the Southern qualifier. If you can only do one or two reps there is no way you will be able to compete with the heavier weights in the England's final.

We are after all trying to find the strongest man in the UK.
This is a big comp with the potential to get to the final in Belfast and get on the Televised comp.
There was a poor response to the competition and it has been agreed that the 4 that did enter are to go straight through to the Englands final. There is little point risking injury for no real benefit as they will qualify anyway

The bottom line is out of the 4 that are going through to the England's final, Paul Carter has made the UK final several times and has finished top 3, Chris Gearing and Lloyd Renals both made the England's final last year from the South and therefore have proved their ability. The final place is Will Egan and he has come on. I don't think in reality we would have got much better. I cant think of anyone else who is a real contender in the South at the moment. I dont think the quality of the people who qualified has been compromised.

These 4 need to bring their passports to the Englands final.

All we can do is get cracking on preparing for the England's. The details of events will be released as soon as, but the England's final be on the 9th June. This date was released some time ago and it is being held at a large charity event in at Preston Hall, The Royal British Legion Village in Aylesford. This event runs every year and the date for the event was fixed by the Royal British Legion.
This will be a good day.Hope to see you all there
BigTIcon...20-04-2012 @ 18:35 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
Well done boys!! Be good to see Paul, Lloyd and Chris at the ESM final again, as well as young Will, who is sound as well as a talent!

Hope I qualify now and get to see you there!
seankamoIcon...20-04-2012 @ 18:51 
invite only !
Member 1159, 760 posts
I thought phil wooten (hope I spelt correct) was down for this?????
VanillaGorillaIcon...20-04-2012 @ 19:14 
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Wasn't Karl Grant down for this too?
BoarIcon...20-04-2012 @ 19:20 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25565 posts
Administrator
Karl has torn his bicep
VanillaGorillaIcon...20-04-2012 @ 19:38 
Member 1973, 7379 posts