You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitSheiko

Sheiko

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Michael_JonesIconSheiko06-07-2010 @ 20:54 
Member 1460, 74 posts
SQ 330, BP 220, DL 325
875.0 kgs @ 170kgs UnEq
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you guys have had success using sheiko? and if so which variation did u use? e.g. #29-#40, CMS-MS prep etc etc. And also if anyone has customised one to suit themselves and what would be the best way to go about this? Thanks in advance!
nicoIcon...06-07-2010 @ 21:39 
just smoked Ed and Neil - EAT MY GOAL
Member 120, 1582 posts
Post Edited: 06.07.2010 @ 21:39 PM by nico
There are at least two members who might be useful off the top of my head. Tannhauser has a nice Sheiko doc he might share if you ask nicely. Ben_Tricky_Burgess is probablythe best guy to ask; He is also pretty active on the sheiko board which is the best place to get information. http://bmfsports.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sheiko
Ben_Tricky_BurgessIcon...07-07-2010 @ 14:38 
Member 86, 297 posts
Yeah i am a proper Sheiko nuthugger.

Customising Sheiko programs is not as easy as it seems, as the programming is based on waves of relative intensity against overall volume & your 'rating' on the russian PL scale, so unless you are an anal maths bod it is best to leave the main lifts alone, although you have some excersise selection choice on the assistance s**t.

Stick a question up on the Sheiko forum an you will get some good responses though, i will make sure i have a look anyway.
nicoIcon...07-07-2010 @ 20:04 
Member 120, 1582 posts
Ben, I know you've been sheikoing for a while now. You gave me a fair bit of info a while ago. I was wondering if you could go through your personal experience with Sheiko with the benefit of a couple of years of doing it. How have your lifts progressed? What has been the big plus/minus of Sheiko for you? what advice would you give to new Sheikoists?

There is a lot of info about Sheiko, but the personal experience over a long period would be very interesting.
Mr_BenIcon...07-07-2010 @ 20:30 
Member 1216, 194 posts
SQ 240, BP 160, DL 280
680.0 kgs @ 115kgs UnEq
WTF - Sheiko, thought this was a new martial art or something.
Ben_Tricky_BurgessIcon...07-07-2010 @ 21:59 
Member 86, 297 posts
nico said:Ben, I know you've been sheikoing for a while now. You gave me a fair bit of info a while ago. I was wondering if you could go through your personal experience with Sheiko with the benefit of a couple of years of doing it.

How have your lifts progressed?
I think I ran my 1st Sheiko cycle mid way through 2008, i was probably good for 580ish at the time. Now I am probably good for 720ish on a good day with a following wind (i.e. after a run of unijured training).

I think the gains would have been a LOT more if:
a) I had understood or at least trusted the principles behind the programming from the start. Like everyone else i thought i knew better than one of the most sucessful powerlifting coaches of all time, and f**ked around with it to 'customise' it Roll-Eyes

b) Id had way more uninterrupted training...ive had a s**t year for injuries and havent gained much since Nov 09

What has been the big plus/minus of Sheiko for you?
Well the big plus is that it meks me stronger. Sounds right daft but I am not a natural born athlete and even for me to be average, like what i am now, has been a fair old slog. Now gains come even slower, but i KNOW without doubt that if i put a run of 12 wks solid training together (i.e. 2 prep cycles and 1 comp cycle) i will gain something on my total.

It also suits my wierdo OCD brain - I like understanding the maths/science behind the method and I work better if i have everything planned out before i get to gym and complete the planned workload even if it is rediculously brutal.

Cons are that the sessions take f**king ages, you are out of sync with your training partners who do 'normal' methods, you dont gain much muscle and that it kills you to death in terms of recovery and hormones balance and s**t. Quite often you make your best gains after you have been really beat up with bad sleep, no libido, pissed off all't time etc. - part of the principle is still training super high volume when you are very fatigued and forcing your body to adapt & get stronger I suppose. Probly part of the reason the ruskis do so well off it is that the whole team is on the special breakfast and recovers amazing.

What advice would you give to new Sheikoists?

1. Dont f**k about with it too much. The glorius comrades of the Soviet Union did tests on thousands of athletes and a lot of their best PLers have followed routines written by Boris and most people gain great off a stock cycle.

2. Be prepared to feel weaker from training, not stronger. The high volume & s**t means that weights that felt easy on wk 1 & look light on paper feel like a s**t-ton on wk 9 or whatever. A lot of people give up then cos they feel beat up and like their lifts are going down. Its not until you have peaked/deloaded that you see the gains

There is a lot of info about Sheiko, but the personal experience over a long period would be very interesting.

Hope that is what you wanted
nicoIcon...08-07-2010 @ 09:04 
Member 120, 1582 posts
Thanks Ben, that was exactly what I was hoping for. Do you train/compete equipped?
Ben_Tricky_BurgessIcon...08-07-2010 @ 10:20 
Member 86, 297 posts
I usually compete equipped although i did do a raw meet in May but in terms of the British etc. yeah equipped, usually at 82kg.

I train raw probably 95% of the time.
Michael_JonesIcon...14-07-2010 @ 09:40 
Member 1460, 74 posts
SQ 330, BP 220, DL 325
875.0 kgs @ 170kgs UnEq
Thanks for the help and responses guys! very helpful! Ben's personal account of sheiko was a very good read!
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitSheiko
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions