You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitGBPF renewal

GBPF renewal

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

FatpeteIcon...12-11-2009 @ 13:02 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17896 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Martin1956 said:Compared to the money I spend on training, supps, travel to comps, shirts, wraps, etc., etc. £40 (77p a week) is no big deal. I spent more than £40 just going down to Birmingham in June to officiate. The visas thing obviously gives the opportunity for an easy laugh but subs were set well before that happened. Powerlifting is certainly worth more than 77p a week to me. If anyone values it at less than that...

That's not the issue though. It's all about value. What extra does the 40 quid to the GBPF get us that the 20 to BWLA didn't. I've a little think and I came up with nothing, zero, zilch, not a damn thing. That being the case it is extremely expensive. I may very well just take your very excellent advice.
Martin1956Icon...12-11-2009 @ 13:52 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7742 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Fatpete said:
That's not the issue though. It's all about value. What extra does the 40 quid to the GBPF get us that the 20 to BWLA didn't. I've a little think and I came up with nothing, zero, zilch, not a damn thing. That being the case it is extremely expensive. I may very well just take your very excellent advice.

Well for a start £12 goes on insurance, leaving a balance of £26 per head to run a national organisation. It's easy to forget how bad things were under BWLA, how powerlifting was run by weightlifters who didn't give a toss about the sport. When we get sponsorship, double membership numbers, and hopefully some UK Sport funding then no doubt the fee can reduce, but in the meantime I'm happy to pay my £40 to sustain the new organisation in it's early years, as well as putting time and money in to help it achieve its goals.

Everyone's perception of value differs, but you have many voluntary people in the organisation putting in countless hours to sustain a network that provides competitive opportunities throughout the country, often at great personal financial and time cost, to give me as a lifter a regular opportunity to strut my stuff for an annual fee, after insurance, that equates to the price of a tub of promass. Might not represent value to you, but it damn sure does to me!
Martin1956Icon...12-11-2009 @ 14:02 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7742 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
little_a said:
I may as well ask it before someone else does Martin, but have you approached either Tony or Mark about this?
The GBPF is a national organisation. Garden productions is a weekend warrior and a few of his mates. I'm not saying you're not trying, but your comment is in stark contrast to Marks RE sponsorship. You may just be missing something that they can put you straight on?

I was referring to the national situation mate, Bryn does the divisional stuff and I'm sure when he sees this he'll be delighted to accept Mark's offer. To give a little illustration of what goes unreported, in the last week I've contacted all the national papers about Dean's win (zero response to news of a British World Champion!!), been in touch with two companies about national level sponsorship of the sport, and attended meetings about setting up a disabled powerlifting centre of excellence and getting a big venue for February's NW Raw Bench. Not a completely typical week, in fairness, but stuff like that is going on all the time that never gets reported.

And look what Paul Rees has done on the junior side. British Universities and Colleges event oversubscribed, when a couple of years ago nothing was happening. Rob Thomas taking months to build a new website on a totally voluntary basis. Plenty more examples I could use...

The sport is building, it is a case of lifters (or ex lifters) organising events for lifters, we're still in the infancy of GBPF, it will build year on year.
Ben_FIcon...12-11-2009 @ 14:05 
vegetarian with a big deadlift - who would have thought...
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Martin, just out of interest - what does the insurance cover?

With the GBPF, is the drug testing funded by memberships and or entry fees? I know it doesn't come cheap - especially when done by UK Sport.
little_aIcon...12-11-2009 @ 14:19 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Martin1956 said:
I was referring to the national situation mate, Bryn does the divisional stuff and I'm sure when he sees this he'll be delighted to accept Mark's offer. To give a little illustration of what goes unreported, in the last week I've contacted all the national papers about Dean's win (zero response to news of a British World Champion!!), been in touch with two companies about national level sponsorship of the sport, and attended meetings about setting up a disabled powerlifting centre of excellence and getting a big venue for February's NW Raw Bench. Not a completely typical week, in fairness, but stuff like that is going on all the time that never gets reported.
And look what Paul Rees has done on the junior side. British Universities and Colleges event oversubscribed, when a couple of years ago nothing was happening. Rob Thomas taking months to build a new website on a totally voluntary basis. Plenty more examples I could use...
The sport is building, it is a case of lifters (or ex lifters) organising events for lifters, we're still in the infancy of GBPF, it will build year on year.

As I said previously, there's no hint that you're not trying, but whether it's national or local...

MarkClegg said:
I find it strange that me and Tony can run Strongman comps and secure 4 - 5 Sponsors but you can`t find any , i just don`t beleive it ..

These lads are pushing buttons that you arent in regard to sponsorship and media coverage. A chat cant do any harm. They're quite nice blokes really.
mikex101Icon...12-11-2009 @ 14:22 
never too old
Member 637, 760 posts
x4

Plastic trophy's (not that ive won many) arnt why I compete. Id rather then money went to charity. It would probably bring some media attention on the sport at a local level too and bring in sponsorship that way for futrue events.
Martin1956Icon...12-11-2009 @ 14:29 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7742 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Ben_F said:Martin, just out of interest - what does the insurance cover?

With the GBPF, is the drug testing funded by memberships and or entry fees? I know it doesn't come cheap - especially when done by UK Sport.

Not the best person to give the ins and outs of insurance Ben, so I'll avoid waffling and leave that to someone else.

Drug Testing. Until UK Sports gives us governing body status we have to fund our own tests (roughly £250 a time). Once that is given (hopefully very soon), we will come under the new national testing agency. Until then, we fund our own tests. Problem is that unless tests are conducted by WADA approved testers the results are invalid. We've looked at going down the self testing route a la BDFPA, but because we're affliated to WADA via IPF that's just not possible. No point self testing if you'd just lose every appeal.
Martin1956Icon...12-11-2009 @ 14:31 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7742 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
little_a said:
These lads are pushing buttons that you arent in regard to sponsorship and media coverage. A chat cant do any harm. They're quite nice blokes really.

No doubt a chat will be had, but watch this space re venues and publicity in the NW in 2010.
little_aIcon...12-11-2009 @ 14:36 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Martin1956 said:
watch this space re venues and publicity in the NW in 2010.

You're too good looking not to watch, and this space is where I liveGrin
little_aIcon...12-11-2009 @ 14:38 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Martin1956 said:
Until UK Sports gives us governing body status we have to fund our own tests

Does no one have this status yet? Please tell me it's not still in the hands of those dispicable weightlifters and their evil mutant ninja turtle leader.Angry
bigladluskIcon...12-11-2009 @ 14:39 
potatoes contain no protein
Member 635, 458 posts
SQ 230, BP 145, DL 230
605.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
its all about the trophies i wasn't loved as a child and its all i have to validate myself....they're my only friendsTongue lol

its 50euro per year membership and 20euro per meet in gpc ireland and i think all the money goes into buying equipment weights etc.
i dont think any of the lads mind.
little_aIcon...12-11-2009 @ 14:41 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Martin1956 said:
To give a little illustration of what goes unreported, in the last week I've contacted all the national papers about Dean's win (zero response to news of a British World Champion

Just a thought Martin. Someone as big as a SH PL may come across better on TV. Silly Q but did you try them?
RobJIcon...12-11-2009 @ 14:49 
The 500lb deadlift is out there .....
Member 772, 191 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 142.5, DL 230
575.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
little_a said:
Just a thought Martin. Someone as big as a SH PL may come across better on TV. Silly Q but did you try them?

Someone did!

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/13153
little_aIcon...12-11-2009 @ 14:55 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Hope no ones going behind the big fella's backAngry
CuddlesIcon...12-11-2009 @ 15:26 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I have nothing to add other than £40 seems like a lot of money.

You're not going to get a lot of first timers at a comp who arent sure its for them if they have to pay £40 plus the comp entrance fee to find out. Is there a mechanism for guest lifters to compete without joining?

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitGBPF renewal
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions