Who's Online - 0 members and 177 guests

How wide for squat?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

bulkaholicIconHow wide for squat?26-07-2009 @ 20:17 
Member 762, 79 posts
SQ 200, BP 135, DL 250
585.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
Hello All,

First I had better introduced myself. My name is Colin and I live in Westbury Wilts.

I had a couple of goes at lightweight body building and to be honest just striggled getting fat down to where I needed it. I also hated the prep training which was high reps, volume type training. But I love lifting weights so decided to give power lifting a go. Now i am not massively strong and total raw is a mere 510kg at present so have a long way to go yet before having a go at a comp. I am 5'10 tall with long arms. bench is not my strong point (well nothing is at present lol)

Lifts are at present:
DL 200kg
Squat 180kg
Bench 130kg

Now to the original question. I have started squatting really wide as I am told I should for power lifting but I feel quite weak around knees etc like this and feel stronger with more quads involved as they are very dominant on me. So question is do I persevere with wide stance or maybe drop it in a bit please? I am happy to persevere id this leads to eventually a bigger squat.

Any help much appreciated.

Colin Heath
JasonGriffithsIcon...26-07-2009 @ 20:29 
better at shagging than his big brother
Member 392, 162 posts
SQ 325, BP 170, DL 275
770.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Really does depend mate. Going too wide can cause problems getting to depth. Typically you can gain more out of equipment with a wider stance. Flexibility comes into play too, if you haven't got the felxibility in the hips then the wide stance could cause problems.

Personally I squat relatively wide raw, then a few inches wider in equipment...I have short legs however (29") and my hams and fat ass do help. If you say you are quad dominant then perhaps staying with your current stance would be best, then do some hamstring work for assistance (Good mornings, Romanian Deads, glute ham raises) until you hams are stronger. You could also train both narrow and wide and see how it goes!?
philnoskoIcon...26-07-2009 @ 20:36 
He's BACK
Member 177, 1039 posts
SQ 230, BP 155, DL 300
685.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Good advice from Jason.

Going wide for me felt so unnatural to begin with. But it got easier each week and it wasnt too long before I put extra kgs on to my squat, having previously hit a plateau. Make sure you point your toes out a bit (mine are almost 45 degrees). Going wider reduces the distance you have to go to reach parallel, but as Jason said it is a bit harder to get depth as it requires a certain amount of flexibility. If this is an issue then work on adductor flexibility. Maybe you could even try going a little wider each week until you find your perfect width.
FazcIcon...26-07-2009 @ 21:17 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Great answers so far. Ultimately a wider, more hamstring/low back oriented Squat has the potential for more weight. It's less distance to travel and you're relying on muscles and joints which are capable of handling more weight safely.

But it does need some training and flexibility work to really get the most out of it. I'd start to pound the wide stance Good Mornings, leg presses with the feet high on the platform and begin a lot of stretching for the inner thighs and hamstrings/calves. Romanian Deadlifts are also great, stretching with weight works really well.
MattGriffIcon...26-07-2009 @ 21:28 
Member 194, 3976 posts
Capt Kirk did ok with a relativly narrow stance.

And do a comp, don't worry about your total!
bulkaholicIcon...26-07-2009 @ 22:12 
Member 762, 79 posts
SQ 200, BP 135, DL 250
585.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
Thanks for all the great replies and so fastGrin

OK so I think perhaps I need to persevere with the wide stance then as I have hot a personal best with wide, so maybe I am confusing comfort with good lifts??? I get the feeling these 2 don't go hand in handWink

I will work on hams much more as it is something I have always neglected if I am honest.

I don't have squat equipment yet and will wait until i get my raw power up more until using.

Flexibility is something I do have and can get to parallel no problem with legs out really wide. When I go real wide my knees buckle in though at heavy weight and back gives so end up with a weird elvis style good morning going onGrin
bulkaholicIcon...26-07-2009 @ 22:18 
Member 762, 79 posts
SQ 200, BP 135, DL 250
585.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
MattGriff said:
Capt Kirk did ok with a relativly narrow stance.

And do a comp, don't worry about your total!

Ok mate would love to do a comp but have held back as dont want to get up there and lift really bad! Perhaps I should pick one around 3 months time and work for it.

Will be lifting in untested feds so BPC probably so need to search for a comp perhaps. or maybe a smaller local comp.
PorkPieIcon...27-07-2009 @ 08:03 
Do hugs, not drugs.
Member 136, 712 posts
SQ 380, BP 242.5, DL 330
952.5 kgs @ 110kgs Eq
Well done for knocking the homo erotic, narcissitical bodybuilding on the head - a disgraceful sport by any measure.

Men lift weights, have power bellies and are hairy in places that women are not (although Mrs PP is taking on something of a German look about her at the moment).

There will be a BPC comp in September, London way, that would suit you. Ideal first timers competition.

The BPO (different fed to the BPC) have regular comps in Bath/South Wales.

Finally there is the WSA (Welsh Strength Association) who have comps very regularly in Swansea/South Wales. These Welsh one's are again, ideal for novices and have a friendly informal atmosphere.

All the full details are "googleable" I'm sure. If not PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Kit wise you will need to purchase, in this order, as money and time allow:

- Powerlifting belt
- Knee and wrist wraps (Inzer, 2.5 meter)
- Squat suit (I would buy a sinlge ply suit if I was you Titan NXG+)
- Bench shirt (single ply Titan Fury)
- Singlet (needed for comps)
- Briefs
- Deadlift suit

You need to revise your "supplementation" from bodybuilding when strength training. PM your Uncle Porky and I'll advise you further.
martinIcon...27-07-2009 @ 09:41 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Top advice from Mr Pork Pie there as always.

My advice - get a belt, knee wraps and wrist wraps ordered today and enter the BPC UK Open on 6th Sept and do it raw.

As for squat stance wider is better but only normally in gear. Going wide stance raw can be too stressful on the hips. You want shoulder width or slightly wider without equipment on I'd say.

M
cuntosIcon...27-07-2009 @ 10:26 
old fat fingers needs to find 10kg
Member 192, 640 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 245
735.0 kgs @ 122.7kgs Eq
Just to chime in, you really do need to do a comp and it's quite likely you will make a few mistakes in your first comp, so get it done ASAP and don't worry about it. The UK Open is a brilliant comp for you to start. So much so, that if you don't do it you are a f**king homo!

Seriously, do the UK Open. If you try your best I promise you that nobody will laugh at you, whether you total 1100kg or 300kg. That's what's so great about powerlifting!
JasonGriffithsIcon...27-07-2009 @ 10:31 
Member 392, 162 posts
SQ 325, BP 170, DL 275
770.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
c**tos said:
Just to chime in, you really do need to do a comp and it's quite likely you will make a few mistakes in your first comp, so get it done ASAP and don't worry about it. The UK Open is a brilliant comp for you to start. So much so, that if you don't do it you are a f**king homo!

Seriously, do the UK Open. If you try your best I promise you that nobody will laugh at you, whether you total 1100kg or 300kg. That's what's so great about powerlifting!

Agreed. Do the comp!

That is one good thing about PL'ing, there is always plenty of support for anyone and everyone whether your name is Joe Average or Andy Bolton.

If you do enter, providing our lifting doesn't clash I dont mind helping you. However I am sure plently of people will be willing to help.
JasonGriffithsIcon...27-07-2009 @ 10:33 
Member 392, 162 posts
SQ 325, BP 170, DL 275
770.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
bulkaholic said:
When I go real wide my knees buckle in though at heavy weight and back gives so end up with a weird elvis style good morning going onGrin

This is a sign of weak hamstrings. I wouldn't go too wide or too heavy until your hamstring strength has increased. You know the drill Grin
FazcIcon...27-07-2009 @ 10:34 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Post Edited: 27.07.2009 @ 11:51 AM by Fazc
c**tos said: If you try your best I promise you that nobody will laugh at you, whether you total 1100kg or 300kg. That's what's so great about powerlifting!

Truth!
bulkaholicIcon...29-07-2009 @ 18:27 
Member 762, 79 posts
SQ 200, BP 135, DL 250
585.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
PorkPie said:
Well done for knocking the homo erotic, narcissitical bodybuilding on the head - a disgraceful sport by any measure.

Men lift weights, have power bellies and are hairy in places that women are not (although Mrs PP is taking on something of a German look about her at the moment).

There will be a BPC comp in September, London way, that would suit you. Ideal first timers competition.

The BPO (different fed to the BPC) have regular comps in Bath/South Wales.

Finally there is the WSA (Welsh Strength Association) who have comps very regularly in Swansea/South Wales. These Welsh one's are again, ideal for novices and have a friendly informal atmosphere.

All the full details are "googleable" I'm sure. If not PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Kit wise you will need to purchase, in this order, as money and time allow:

- Powerlifting belt
- Knee and wrist wraps (Inzer, 2.5 meter)
- Squat suit (I would buy a sinlge ply suit if I was you Titan NXG+)
- Bench shirt (single ply Titan Fury)
- Singlet (needed for comps)
- Briefs
- Deadlift suit

You need to revise your "supplementation" from bodybuilding when strength training. PM your Uncle Porky and I'll advise you further.

LOL @ mrs Porky Pie with the german thing going onGrin

Thanks for all the info there mate, much appreciated. I will drop you a PM when back from the gym tonight.

I will have a look at the feds and comps although can't do open as will be working in china for a month then.

I know what you mean about BB I was getting very ego driven and didn't like that as it's just not me!

Cheers

Colin
bulkaholicIcon...29-07-2009 @ 18:29 
Member 762, 79 posts
SQ 200, BP 135, DL 250
585.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
c**tos said:

LMAO f**king homoGrin I will get a comp done Nice and soon then. Work will mean around october onwards will be good. Looking forward to it

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions