Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitMy article on the overhead press

My article on the overhead press

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Love reading your stuff mate, great article.
cracking read Happy
Great article. Do you know what the heaviest ever standing barbell strict press is?
alex_tait said:Great article. Do you know what the heaviest ever standing barbell strict press is?

This is a very tough question to answer really as a lot are rumours or stories. Very little video footage of current overhead beasts . Mike Jenkins pressed 390lb for 5 reps IIRC ? Big Ed strict pressed 200kg on an axle and Robert Wilkerson has done 200kg strict but although their is no footage there are various suggestions that Z has rack pressed 227kg but I would imagine he flicked his heels in his normal fashion. I've only used current lifters as the older 'pressers' used a lot of hip thrust and bent knees ,hence why it was banned.
PaulSavage
ursus said:
I did ten sets of 50 in the morning and ten sets at night , took no more than 20mins(about 1 mins rep between sets) . I did it for a good year and a half ,guaranteed best pump ever lol

At what bodyweight was this? What could you do for max reps? Would have be 200+?

Thanks for the article.
MCM
Brilliant article, you are such a beast - wish I could have that level of dedication!

Question - do we count the old Olympic lifts as strict presses?

For example?
PaulSavage said:
At what bodyweight was this? What could you do for max reps? Would have be 200+?
Thanks for the article.

no way ,not 200 ,could have done 100 easy and often did to speed up the workout but pumped up too quick after that .
MCM said:Brilliant article, you are such a beast - wish I could have that level of dedication!

Question - do we count the old Olympic lifts as strict presses?

For example?

Thanks alot mate . When it comes to a strict press the one above is not for me ,as impressive as it is.
PaulSavage
ursus said:
no way ,not 200 ,could have done 100 easy and often did to speed up the workout but pumped up too quick after that .

Mental recovery to do 10 sets of 50 with 1 minute rest. I don't think i could move my arms after 2 sets.
ursus said:
Thanks alot mate . When it comes to a strict press the one above is not for me ,as impressive as it is.

Can't see the difference between calling this a "strict press" and calling some your lifts or my lifts "strict" tbh
Post Edited: 22.04.2014 @ 11:48 AM by Savolainen87
ursus said:
This is a very tough question to answer really as a lot are rumours or stories. Very little video footage of current overhead beasts . Mike Jenkins pressed 390lb for 5 reps IIRC ? Big Ed strict pressed 200kg on an axle and Robert Wilkerson has done 200kg strict but although their is no footage there are various suggestions that Z has rack pressed 227kg but I would imagine he flicked his heels in his normal fashion. I've only used current lifters as the older 'pressers' used a lot of hip thrust and bent knees ,hence why it was banned.

Z second rep on 208 kg axle was absolutely strict (arnold 2010)

Great article by the way , just wondering how u keep improving when staying natural , most natural guys hit the wall for years . Is it always raleted gaining bodyweight to strenght or cahnge in the training . Natural guys always need more weight to gain strenght . Will be interesting to know what u think about that .
AMH_Power
Brilliant read, thanks.
Ursus is not natural... he was sent from outer space
Cracking stuff jay!

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitMy article on the overhead press
Return to top View Desktop Site