Squat depth check

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

ursusIcon...13-09-2013 @ 12:57 
Man up and have a fuckin coffee
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
frankie1parke said:
ive found that the bigger my legs have grown the worse my depth looks, the smaller your quads are the better the knee:hip angle looks, the femur could be at quite a deep angle but the huge amount of mass around it can make it look not so deep, you take a guy like ray williams hes going as deep as he can but its just never going to look that deep because his legs are so f**king big
However you can still probably get deeper with more mobility work, kelly starretts becoming a supple leopard is well worth the money

great post
MattD90Icon...13-09-2013 @ 14:05 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 13.09.2013 @ 14:06 PM by MattD90

I have absolutely no idea why people insist on stretching their hip flexors like this. Anyone know why? (vanillagorilla or someone?) All it does is make my hamstring cramp badly, the rear foot may aswell be on the floor it makes no difference if your knee is bent. I suppose flexing the knee will pull the patella down more distally compared to having your foot on the floor which will in turn stretch rectus femoris a little more but surely this is marginal.

I always do it like this, and simply squeeze glutes and push hips through to vary more/less of a stretch.

[IMG]http://www.osteoarthritisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/H...
WaterfieIdIcon...13-09-2013 @ 14:17 
Member 4114, 355 posts
It's just a harder variation of that stretch afaik, your pic is just part of a progression to it.

If you keep your torso pretty upright you should feel your hip flexor stretch. IIRC Kelly Starrett mentioned that it keeps your lumbar in a good position so when you push through you won't round it.

It's been a while, all I know is it was hard at first but helped a ton.

I'll dig up a few videos on it if you want, no doubt he'll mention some bo***cks about torque, loading the muscle, going into the pain cave and about how sunny it is etc lol.
MattD90Icon...13-09-2013 @ 14:26 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 13.09.2013 @ 14:26 PM by MattD90
WaterfieId said:It's just a harder variation of that stretch afaik, your pic is just part of a progression to it.

If you keep your torso pretty upright you should feel your hip flexor stretch. IIRC Kelly Starrett mentioned that it keeps your lumbar in a good position so when you push through you won't round it.

It's been a while, all I know is it was hard at first but helped a ton.

I'll dig up a few videos on it if you want, no doubt he'll mention some bo***cks about torque, loading the muscle, going into the pain cave and about how sunny it is etc lol.

I know it looks like a harder version and mine looks like a more basic/progression version but just look at your picture and look at the muscles she's trying to stretch and where they live, where they attach etc. Now imagine just bringing her foot down to the ground.. it hardly changes anything (at least to my mind anyway, I might be wrong).

I hear you about not rounding your lower back and it can be an easy mistake to make by pushing glutes hard and going lordotic and not even stretching the right muscles but once the awareness is there of what you need to stretch I think you can't go wrong with the way I do it. I don't know who Kelly Starrett is though and I'm just nobody lol
drewIcon...13-09-2013 @ 14:35 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:
I know it looks like a harder version and mine looks like a more basic/progression version but just look at your picture and look at the muscles she's trying to stretch and where they live, where they attach etc. Now imagine just bringing her foot down to the ground.. it hardly changes anything (at least to my mind anyway, I might be wrong).
I hear you about not rounding your lower back and it can be an easy mistake to make by pushing glutes hard and going lordotic and not even stretching the right muscles but once the awareness is there of what you need to stretch I think you can't go wrong with the way I do it. I don't know who Kelly Starrett is though and I'm just nobody lol

I've done both. Feet up is nion impossible. Feet behind is fine. It stretches the same bit but is so much harder
WaterfieIdIcon...13-09-2013 @ 14:36 
Member 4114, 355 posts
He's the crossfit mobility wod guy who wrote the "supple leopard" book, I think this is one of his original videos about it which might be how it caught on(more or less got his memes spot on hahahaha)

2:20 if you want to ignore the waffle

I think you're right, and when he gets set up he goes from a similar position in your picture to the upright bit.
frankie1parkeIcon...13-09-2013 @ 14:44 
Squat depth : approved.
Member 3804, 224 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 272.5
752.5 kgs @ 115kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 13.09.2013 @ 14:46 PM by frankie1parke
MattD90 said:

the variation of the stretch with your leg up agaisnt the wall is much more effective thats why its so much harder, the hip flexors tie into the quad which is probably makes it more demanding having the leg flexed up against the wall

now that i can do the one with my leg up the more basic variation does literally nothing for me, also i found getting good mobility in my hip flexor from the stretch the way kelly starett teaches it made a massive difference to my squat

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions