Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumNutritionWhy we get fat and what to do about it

Why we get fat and what to do about it

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Steve
glen_danbury said:Mate - i am willing to bet £100 quid, give me an obese person and i could get them to shed a ton of weight on a higher carb calorie restricted diet- the big issue is whether they stick to it

i am willing to put my money where my mouth is, give me any obese individual and if they stuck to it i could get them to shed over a stone in two months eating higher carb (>50%) calorie controlled diet

If a person is eating a high carb diet (>50%) they try to loose weight just by restricting calories the biggest restricion they make will be in te amount of carbs they are taking in.
No

say a 2500kcal diet, 300g or so of carb, low fat and the rest protein. for most obese this would be a deficit, add in some gentle exercise and virtually all obese would lose a fair amount if weight if stuck to for a period
Steve
glen_danbury said:No

say a 2500kcal diet, 300g or so of carb, low fat and the rest protein. for most obese this would be a deficit, add in some gentle exercise and virtually all obese would lose a fair amount if weight if stuck to for a period

Say a person curently gets say 60% (or any figure over 50%) of their calories from carbs and 20% from fat and 20% from protein - if they simply reduce their calories and maintain the same proportions (60%:20%:20%) the biggest reduction in calories has to come from carbs
I cant imagine a world where i could sustain a very very low / no carb diet .... with all the best intentions , it must be near impossible ?? can you imagine the carb binge if you fell off the waggon 4 weeks in ???

I think mabie low GI foods might be a good compromise , I did read the book and the section where he says even a very low carb diet may be enough to make you fat or atleast prevent you from losing fat .... bummer !!!
Steve
Boar said:I cant imagine a world where i could sustain a very very low / no carb diet .... with all the best intentions , it must be near impossible ?? can you imagine the carb binge if you fell off the waggon 4 weeks in ???

I think mabie low GI foods might be a good compromise , I did read the book and the section where he says even a very low carb diet may be enough to make you fat or atleast prevent you from losing fat .... bummer !!!

I've got to agree - I can't imagine how you I would manage a really low/no carb diet.

I do like to to use the book to justify half a dozen slice of bacon and 5 or 6 eggs for breakfast every day.
As a theoretical stand point yes if someone's at 60% carb and cuts calories carbs will be the greater proportion, but the average person eats closer to 38% fat, 12% protein and fifty percent carbs and cutting kcals from fats would push the percentage of the other two without altering total gram intake of them.

I have been on a low carb bulk and gained weight but it was boring!!!!!
At LIW I sampled carb free, fat free high protein ice cream! Tasted awesome

http://wheyheyicecream.com/index.php?lang=en
James99
I think when arguing a ‘low carb’ approach it’s far more important to emphasise periods of time with little to no carbs rather than just having a low proportion of calories from carbs or low total amount over a measured period. This might not seem like much of a distinction at first but the point is to try and avoid chronically elevated insulin levels as this environment gives the body no opportunity to utilise body fat as a source of energy.
excellent second post james !!!

I agree
streak
Boar said:I cant imagine a world where i could sustain a very very low / no carb diet .... with all the best intentions , it must be near impossible ?? can you imagine the carb binge if you fell off the waggon 4 weeks in ???

I have a theory on GI. It's my view that 'the authorities' know that their high-carb/low fat advice isn't working and that instead of admitting their errors they came up with the G Index. If you follow a low GI diet you must exclude the worst of the highly refined, easily digested carbohydrates. Period.

This method of coercion could also be used by lowcarb proponents to promote their agenda because, frankly, lowcarb diets have such a bad reputation. Almost everybody I know knows nothing about lowcarbing except that's it's bad for you. Wtf??!!
all these fad diets are very individualistic, just looking at what some dude can do who has been fooled to buy some book or something.

Obesity is an epidemic, and a nation wide population wide issue so the policies should be similar, like education, school food schemes, excercise programmes and activities, walking paths, public transport and all that kind of stuff which would change the behaviour of large sections of population.
carbs are the drug of the nation !!! and we thought it was TV , booze and fags !!!
Streak imo your theories back to front- the governments pushed lowering fats especially saturates, the food companies jumped on this and brought out lots of low may versions of foods- problem is that reducing fat pulls mouth feel of food so the companies whack in more sugar (which also pushes down fat as a percentage). As such the original message is probably right but companies and general public distort it to fit their own needs and wants.

GI isn't great anyway for a few reasons such as ice cream is low GI but is not going to aid weightloss is it? Certain foods are low GI but are also highly insulinogenic due to other factors in it (milk and wheat being two that come to mind(. Also some foods are high GI (carrots) but have a low glycemic load (GL ) due to little amounts of carbs.

Insulin does not always shut off fat burning, i will try and find the study but glucose post exercise had no effect on fat oxidation despite rises in insulin levels.
Boar - look at most junk food and its high in both fats and carbs IMO, end result a great easily five minute digestion of a fifth of someone's daily kcal needs.

If the nation cooked more and walked everywhere those two things imo would eradicate obesity
yea, I guess cleaning up the diet is priority number 1

You are here: HomeForumNutritionWhy we get fat and what to do about it
Return to top View Desktop Site