REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 298 guests

Wales' Strongest Man 2013

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

RickFIcon...06-03-2013 @ 13:33 
Member 3090, 174 posts
SQ 230, BP 195, DL 290
715.0 kgs @ 115kgs Eq
Martin_Jones said:Some promotors stay and some go... its hard work putting on a comp.

I think bring things back to basics in Wales is whats needed. To many people try to run before they can walk. Car parks and unit as locations are great if the time and effort are put in to make it a success.

If you qualify then you get the TV coverage. Wales Strongest Man does not need a big venue or TV... it was painful to watch last year. Let the comp standard progress naturally and stick to the basics.

If Mark is offering to put on the comp let him, no one else is stepping up, and time is running out.

Exactly the wrong attitude IMHO
SteadmarkIcon...06-03-2013 @ 13:43 
Member 4426, 155 posts
SQ 180, BP 95, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Martin_Jones said:Some promotors stay and some go... its hard work putting on a comp.

I think bring things back to basics in Wales is whats needed. To many people try to run before they can walk. Car parks and unit as locations are great if the time and effort are put in to make it a success.

If you qualify then you get the TV coverage. Wales Strongest Man does not need a big venue or TV... it was painful to watch last year. Let the comp standard progress naturally and stick to the basics.

If Mark is offering to put on the comp let him, no one else is stepping up, and time is running out.

My thoughts Exactly Martin 80% of comp are run in unit and Small gyms and car parks all we need is the comps 2 go Ahead and not 2 be Use as a money making scheme it about Strongman at the end of the day And nothing else
ystradboy79Icon...06-03-2013 @ 13:56 
Chris 'The Magician' Melling
Member 1443, 978 posts
SQ 270, BP 180, DL 320
770.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
Sorted now by the looks of it Happy

Rick f putting it on in prestatyn at the haven park site , nice big venue with Glenn ross hosting for an hour long spot on challenge , how anyone can think that this kind of exposure is bad for the sport in Wales is beyond me.
jones105Icon...06-03-2013 @ 14:36 
most definatley not an idiot
Member 2731, 3590 posts
SQ 260, BP 170, DL 300
730.0 kgs @ 87kgs Eq
ystradboy79 said:Sorted now by the looks of it Happy

Rick f putting it on in prestatyn at the haven park site , nice big venue with Glenn ross hosting for an hour long spot on challenge , how anyone can think that this kind of exposure is bad for the sport in Wales is beyond me.

ick has don a good job and exposure is what we need but think U were not seeing from my point of view,a view I belive Marin shares...there is nothing wrong with carparks...thats all in saying...no one is realy saying its bad Chris...other comps are still held in carparks and gyms and run very well....
Bottem line is Rick has now sorted so hats off to him..all the other cats got a good indoor venue so lets all get on with it and enjoy it!
bigdave30Icon...06-03-2013 @ 14:48 
if I had a hat on I would take it off
Member 3343, 1045 posts
SQ 330, BP 170, DL 350
850.0 kgs @ 141.8kgs Eq
so its up in north wales yea guys???
ystradboy79 said:Sorted now by the looks of it Happy

jones105Icon...06-03-2013 @ 14:57 
Member 2731, 3590 posts
SQ 260, BP 170, DL 300
730.0 kgs @ 87kgs Eq
Yea bud..rick has sorted it
jones105Icon.....06-03-2013 @ 14:57 
Member 2731, 3590 posts
SQ 260, BP 170, DL 300
730.0 kgs @ 87kgs Eq
Yea bud..rick has sorted it
Martin_JonesIcon...06-03-2013 @ 15:59 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
RickF said:
Exactly the wrong attitude IMHO

My point was you don't have to have a big venue to run a decent comp. If time effort and money is not reasonably practicable, then you have to do what fits.

If you have organised a great venue and prize money etc then great, I wish you all the best. I'm sure the lads will be over the moon with your work. I was not putting your efforts down, I was simply stating what works and being as the venue wasn't sorted (until now) it would be a great comp if it was in someones back garden.

If it was closer I would come and watchWink
phil1983Icon...06-03-2013 @ 16:13 
Member 2271, 337 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Martin_Jones said:
My point was you don't have to have a big venue to run a decent comp. If time effort and money is not reasonably practicable, then you have to do what fits.
If you have organised a great venue and prize money etc then great, I wish you all the best. I'm sure the lads will be over the moon with your work. I was not putting your efforts down, I was simply stating what works and being as the venue wasn't sorted (until now) it would be a great comp if it was in someones back garden.

it will be great no matter what.....i totally get what you mean tho.......even at times if funds or options not available as long the comp is held.....it be great no matter what! ......i loved the 105s up at fitness first in cardiff 2years ago...same place where the opens where held.......1 of best memories of competing for me!
WelshpowerIcon...06-03-2013 @ 21:52 
Member 4379, 39 posts
Post Edited: 06.03.2013 @ 21:53 PM by Welshpower
Martin_Jones said:

martin as you know ive competed in loads of car park comps and thoroughly enjoyed them but i think as we now have tv interest to have it in a unit or a car park would make it look s**t the venue i organised is class we wont be paying a penny for it either there expecting crowds in the 1000's too.
also why were you cringing at last year tv show
Martin_JonesIcon...06-03-2013 @ 22:50 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Welshpower said:
martin as you know ive competed in loads of car park comps and thoroughly enjoyed them but i think as we now have tv interest to have it in a unit or a car park would make it look s**t the venue i organised is class we wont be paying a penny for it either there expecting crowds in the 1000's too.
also why were you cringing at last year tv show

Simon I didn't realise this was you - Stop changing your bloody name Happy

Its great if you have TV courage and a top venue. All I was saying is that the comp doesn't need it to be successful. I made the point as time was ticking and no information was being passed on with what was in the pipe line. People were getting concerned. But hey as you've organised something great.

I found the viewing uncomfortable because the weights where set to high, and there was alot of people failing the events and it wasn't good viewing. I thought it was very boring to watch. Obviously this no reflection on the athletes on a personal level. It was only you that really dealt with the weights, if it was lighter i'm sure the results would have been the same.
WelshpowerIcon...06-03-2013 @ 22:57 
Member 4379, 39 posts
Ok mate I see your point it was kind of an experiment to push on the quality of athlete here and to a certain extent it work as in the guys exceeded there potential some guys hadn't done a 350 yoke when the events were announced and most managed half way at least the frame was a fail but it pushed me on as I couldn't break it off the ground at the euros qualifier 4 weeks earlier plus we didn't know it was being filmed till last minute so didn't want to change the events
Martin_JonesIcon...06-03-2013 @ 23:01 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Welshpower said:Ok mate I see your point it was kind of an experiment to push on the quality of athlete here and to a certain extent it work as in the guys exceeded there potential some guys hadn't done a 350 yoke when the events were announced and most managed half way at least the frame was a fail but it pushed me on as I couldn't break it off the ground at the euros qualifier 4 weeks earlier plus we didn't know it was being filmed till last minute so didn't want to change the events

We live and learn mate!!! Its good to progess things, but you have to let them mature in time... like me, and old git!!!
bigdave30Icon...31-03-2013 @ 16:26 
if I had a hat on I would take it off
Member 3343, 1045 posts
SQ 330, BP 170, DL 350
850.0 kgs @ 141.8kgs Eq
just to confirm guys.... i know the venue has changed, is prestatyn a definate, and also are the events the same and the date??

thanks....

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions