Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumCompetitionsUK 105's

UK 105's

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Joni said:people dont need unconditional uncritical support - the sport has grown past the stage where you have to beg on your knees for a promotor to put up a comp.

Now we have a situation where we have plenty of very good promotors and teams of comp organisers out there.

Things like BSM etc shouldnt be owner by one person alone anyway, but thats another can of worms.

good post.
Ben_F said:
I would if it was in the same country EVERY year! Wink

Under 105 wsm was in china for 3 years on the bounce! Nobody moaned about that! The biggest majority of comps I have done last couple of years have been in the states! people just get on with it! Did you hear any of the open guys saying that someone who lives close to minehead had an unfair advantage cause we all had to drive for at least 3 hours?? No, we all just turned up and did our best!

For some little comp I wouldn't travel! But for a National comp I would go wherever it is and just be happy to be in it!
MarkClegg said:Personally i couldn`t give a s**t where the finals are or what the events are !!!

I just wanna play STRONGMAN ...

If i`ve gotta travel then i`ll pack a suit case as for money i`ll take 3 finals over my family holiday .. lets stop f**kin moaning and go and toss some f**king kegs you set of Northern c**ts !!!!!

think that is a lot of peoples prob though mark, they dont wanna make that sacrifice for 3 comps

i dont and wont, and frankly, shouldnt have too
I agree with the cleggster. If you want to compete then compete. If you dont then dont. I dont care about the location or the events. I just want to play Strongman and thats all im interested in.
MarkClegg said:Personally i couldn`t give a s**t where the finals are or what the events are !!!

I just wanna play STRONGMAN ...

If i`ve gotta travel then i`ll pack a suit case as for money i`ll take 3 finals over my family holiday .. lets stop f**kin moaning and go and toss some f**king kegs you set of Northern c**ts !!!!!

That is exactly the attitude a strongman should have! surely we all do it cause we love to compete? I flew all the way to LA 2 weeks ago for f**k all, no money or anything! I did it cause I enjoy competing!
terryhollands said:
That is exactly the attitude a strongman should have! surely we all do it cause we love to compete? I flew all the way to LA 2 weeks ago for f**k all, no money or anything! I did it cause I enjoy competing!

someone making money/a living out of SM maybe

choosing comps over family holiday at our level?

not for me thanks
Madcowdrey said:I agree with the cleggster. If you want to compete then compete. If you dont then dont. I dont care about the location or the events. I just want to play Strongman and thats all im interested in.

lets just see if/when BSM in Scotland, how many southerners turn up hey
Tiff_P
terryhollands said:

Bloody right!!! As a squaddie in the the past I have had to travel all over the counrty (and Germany) most of the time at my own cost to compete in various sports and just always got on with it as i wanted to compete (I'm sure Strange1 and Ozz will agree).

If there are to be qualifiers all over the country then it really doesn't matter where the final is!!! If some one has gone to the effort and exspense of organising a National Comp for people who do nothing but moan then why shouldn't it be local to the organiser!!! Unless those who disagree want to stump up the money to shift all the kit to there desired location!!!

If the moaners ever got to international level would they insist on all comps being held in North England?!?

If you are at the level where you make it to a national final (U105 Uks) then just be glad you got there and compete at 110%! If you don't want to travel outside of your own back yard then just carry on competing at local level. At the end of the day compete because you love it not just to win, where ever that is!!!!
Madcowdrey said:I agree with the cleggster. If you want to compete then compete. If you dont then dont. I dont care about the location or the events. I just want to play Strongman and thats all im interested in.

It's unfortunately not just down to the desire to compete. Next year I will be able to stretch to one trip away to compete. Unfortunately this will mean I have to chose between bsm and the uks.

I think all the northern lads had hoped at least one major comp would have been up here allowing people like myself to compete in both,assuming I qualify.

End of the day this is only my hobby, when you add up the cost of equipment,hotels etc I just cannot justify the cost when the money could be spent on my family.

I give all credit to terry etc for trying to take this sport forward but feel a little let down that the northern lads are again having to bite the financial bullet for another season.
terryhollands said:
Under 105 wsm was in china for 3 years on the bounce! Nobody moaned about that! The biggest majority of comps I have done last couple of years have been in the states! people just get on with it! Did you hear any of the open guys saying that someone who lives close to minehead had an unfair advantage cause we all had to drive for at least 3 hours?? No, we all just turned up and did our best!
For some little comp I wouldn't travel! But for a National comp I would go wherever it is and just be happy to be in it!

3 Years in one place? Yes, I would have moaned! lol... Nothing changes if people don't speak up or don't get involved in the debate or the running of events etc...

I have travelled plenty for comps, including Cornwall to the South and up near Aberdeen the other way... no worries - that was my choice... but I had a choice of comps in a choice of locations, with the 3 finals being in the South there is no choice for someone who is focussed on the 105s and qualifies for them all, other than not to compete at all.

Anyway, there are positive sigs of change and progression, thats good and will have to do for now.

I would add though that anybody who doesn't voice an opinion or try and contribute to changing things, please don't moan about it later down the line when it is too late!
Tiff_P said:
Bloody right!!! As a squaddie in the the past I have had to travel all over the counrty (and Germany) most of the time at my own cost to compete in various sports and just always got on with it as i wanted to compete (I'm sure Strange1 and Ozz will agree).
If there are to be qualifiers all over the country then it really doesn't matter where the final is!!! If some one has gone to the effort and exspense of organising a National Comp for people who do nothing but moan then why shouldn't it be local to the organiser!!! Unless those who disagree want to stump up the money to shift all the kit to there desired location!!!
If the moaners ever got to international level would they insist on all comps being held in North England?!?
If you are at the level where you make it to a national final (U105 Uks) then just be glad you got there and compete at 110%! If you don't want to travel outside of your own back yard then just carry on competing at local level. At the end of the day compete because you love it not just to win, where ever that is!!!!

You state "a national final" but that misses the point - we are talking about 3 national finals. And of course I wouldn't moan if an international final wasn't in the North. but as above - I would moan if it was in the same country every year. And if I was directly involved for a number of years I would push for it to be held in my own country of course. Why not?
all this s**t about 'moaners this' and 'moaners that' is pissing me off. people are just offering their opinions on how the division is run because they care about what happens and want the best for it. most of the guys posting are involved in running the qualifiers in some way or another so why shouldnt they have an opinion?
Martin_Jones
Ok then I'm not promoting so here is my opinion.

A lot of people are saying it is only a hobby, but what about the people that put there whole life on hold to try and achieve some success. I should know because that is what I do. All my money, time and effort. I've had some success but I want to try and get more, and more. Before it's to late I want to see how far I can get. At least I've tried!!!

If poeple are competing just because they enjoy it then that's fine. Don't do both comps and just choose the ones you are interested in, let the people who are more committed worry about the other comps.
Martin_Jones
Ben_F said:Yes, you're right, it perfectly acceptable that all the finals are in the South. I am sure if all the finals were in Scotland and the North nobody in the rest of Britain would have any problem with that at all. Roll-Eyes

Andy Cairney offered to put the BSM on in Scotland, I would put it on and I am sure there are others too.

In the same vein, if someone wanted to run the Northern quaifier in the North East or more centrally in the North I would say that is fair enough and give it up for a year or two so it could be rotated fairly.

Craig has said this will happen with the ESM which I am pleased about, I'd be happier though if it was this year that it moved but maybe I'm alone in that. If the Northern and Scottish guys are happy to take it in the arse for another year, no worries - I'll shut the f**k up!

The Scots never complained when it was down Portsmouth in 2006 and in Bexhill in 2007.... they just turned up to see who was the best!!
Martin_Jones
Oh and another thing..

I've made it to the UK's in 2007 and in 2009. Glenn dosen't pay for travel, yes he pays for some food and accomodation but that still cost me £500 each time, and I f**ked up on both times. BUT I TRIED and will be back there too!!

You are here: HomeForumCompetitionsUK 105's
Return to top View Desktop Site