Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsMadness?! THIS IS CHICKEN LEGS!

Madness?! THIS IS CHICKEN LEGS!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Post Edited: 16.06.2008 @ 22:09 PM by chicken_legs
Now that I'm officially no longer a student, I am completely f**king bored. Consequently I have got my priorities straight and after sorting out some income, training is priority number 2.

Background: Currently I am lifting at about a 450k total. I have set my self the long term goal of qualifying for the BWLA unequipped at either 82.5 or 90 BW within the next 2 years. Short term I would like to total in the region of 480 at the All England in Sept.

Though I am incredibly weak and this will probably be a boring read, I figured the best way to motivate myself would be to put my goals out there for everyone to see, then be spurred on by the prospect of public humiliation!

SO.. Plan for the upcoming comp in September (Excuse the science, It gives me an excuse to practice for job interviews):

6 Week anatomical adaptation phase. Goals: Increase work capacity, give my injured back a rest, lose fat, gain/maintain muscle, sort out any postural problems I may have which predispose me to injury. This will also allow me to put the focus back on to rugby for a while and to play out the rest of summer RL down here.

6 Week intensification phase. Goals: Try and perfect technique on all 3 lifts, increase PB's on all lifts, continue to maintain/lose body fat.

Add in a week of deloading between every phase and that should take me roughly to September's comp. Sorry for the long post!
For the next 6 weeks I have decided to try out escalating density training based on the feedback I have read about it. It seems to work well for hypertrophy, increasing work capacity and reducing body fat. This ticks all the boxes for me and I fancied doing something different and with a bit more volume than I'm used to. For those that have not heard of EDT, it works like this. Set yourself a time limit, pair up two exercises and record the total number of reps you do with each in that time period. Next time, come back and do more reps in the same time period. Add more weight when it gets easy. I have decided to split this between upper and lower body since Lurkio called me gay for splitting it in to body parts. However, the first two training sessions were chest/back and shoulders/arms, for which I am truly sorry to all. I accept that I am a raving homosexual and I promise it will not happen again.

Fridays training (Chest and Back- last time I promise):

Exercise pairing 1: 20 minutes total- Dumbbell bench press (40kg each arm) super setted with supinated chins (BW).

DB bench: 40 reps
Chins: 40 reps

Exercise pairing 2: 20 minutes total- Bent rows (70kg) s/s w/ Incline bench press (60kg)

Bent rows: 50 reps
Incline bench: 51 reps

This made me extremely sore. Walking down the stairs was enough to make my chest shake and it f**king hurt.
Exercise pairing 1: 15 minutes total- Dumbbell overhead press (25kg each arm) s/s w/ Dumbbell curls (15kg each arm)

DB OH press: 40 total reps
DB curls: 40 total reps

Exercise pairing 2: 15 minutes total- Seated DB cleans (7.5kg each arm) s/s w/ Elbows in DB press (30kg each arm)

DB cleans: 50 total reps
DB presses: 50 total reps

Weighed in at about 89kg today- I'm looking for this to either decrease over the next 6 weeks or stay the same with a noticeable improvement in body comp. To achieve this I've tried to implement some intervals a few times a week and improve my diet, whilst cutting out the drinking that uni entailed. Diet at the moment = protein, fat and some form of fruit and/or veg at least 5 times a day. Starchy carbs are pretty much out, as is regular boozing.
nice to see your training journal here mate ,good luck with those goals!

cant wait till Littler reads your training plan!Happy
I saw you on them scales today and I reckon you've got about as much chance of making the 82.5's as I have of making the 100's. Happy Happy Happy Happy
EDCLARKE said:
nice to see your training journal here mate ,good luck with those goals!

cant wait till Littler reads your training plan!Happy

I reckon a couple of weeks of piss taking at the farm and Keir will be training squats, bench and deads every night. Two sessions at the farm and I still havent seen Keir pick up a bar!!!! Happy Happy Happy
Good luck Keir! Lots of big words in there, mate. I think you're doing what most of us do, but with more flowery, descriptive vocabulary. Building phase followed by peaking phase sounds good!Wink
Post Edited: 16.06.2008 @ 22:41 PM by chicken_legs
Finch said:
I saw you on them scales today and I reckon you've got about as much chance of making the 82.5's as I have of making the 100's. Happy Happy Happy Happy

If by that you mean I'm too shredded all ready to possibly cut down then I thank you good sir. To be honest I'm at least a good 20% Bf at the moment and I don't think it will hurt health wise to try and get down to 10%.

And you try doing 16 sets in 15 minutes- its f**king knackering!

I've taken on board Littler's opinions about programs and what not and have come to this conclusion- If you have a goal, I reckon it's pretty f**king stupid to not have a plan. Once you have a plan, its stupid to not alter it accordingly as life throws up various issues. And to me: heavy f**king singles 5 days a week sounds like a plan!
chicken_legs said: And to me: heavy f**king singles 5 days a week sounds like a plan!

fair comment!
chicken_legs said:
Finch said:

And you try doing 16 sets in 15 minutes- its f**king knackering!

How would I know - I take 15 minutes between sets.
Mobility: ankle, hip, shoulder, thoracic spine

Front squats for sets of 5: 30, 40, 50, 80, 90, 100.

Dumbbell lunges 25kg each arm s/s/w/ swiss ball hamstring curls: 5 x 5

Planks: alternating side and front for a total of approx 6 mins.

I used the clean grip for the first time on the front squats which helped to keep my upper back arched and stop my GMing my squats for a change. I will stick with these for a while to teach myself to remain more upright during back squats. The mobility helped as well with regard to keeping my back arched, keeping the elbows high and keeping my heels on the floor.

I felt good after the squats, then DLing the bar to put it in the rack with 100kg twinged my back AGAIN, hence why i cut the session short. I think I have trapped a nerve or something- ice and mobility for now.
100 x 5 front squats, good going!

Nice to see your journal here, although I can't claim to understand all the big words you're using. Anatomical intensification adaptation phase what now? Wink

Nah, looks good to me... especially the overall goal of getting stronger and not getting fat!
i must say the front squats surprised me. even when i was training last summer and squatting twice a week for higher reps i could only do 100 x 4 with awful form. it must be my new fat giving me some bounce out of the hole!
Good luck with it all mate.Happy
I had a rediculously rushed session today due to me being in Nottingham all day for a job interview to intern for Forest, which i didnt get! So I decided to take it out on the gym. I got all this out in just over half an hour, and consequently I am now shagged. Back felt fine today.

Front squats: bar x 5, 30 x 5, 50 x 5, 70 x 5, 90 x 3, 110 x 3. The last rep of the top set was a real grinder. Diet has been crap for the last 2 days due to travelling etc. Should have this up to 5 reps by next week.

EDT- 20 minutes: Dumbbell bench (40s) supersetted with Bodyweight chins.
DB bench for 48 total reps
Chins for 48 total reps

Bench is up 9 reps in the 20 min time frame, chins up 8 reps so considering the time constraints, stress and me being in a mood Il take a 10% increase in just over a week.

Finished with a superset to failure of bent over lateral raises and db cleans just to balance out all the pressing today.

Return to top View Desktop Site