Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitInteresting and highly civil debate about the Jerk in Strongman

Interesting and highly civil debate about the Jerk in Strongman

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

davycummings said:
WRONG
Mega hitch deadlift moves point A to point B, ie floor to standing up
Sumo moves from point A to somewhere well short of point B, as you are never properly stood up.
Martin's suggestion about moving the feet in should be a requirement for all sumo lifting as it is imo.
Would you allow someone to pull the truck 3/4 of the course and call it good?

Well said! I prefer seeing a hitched lift especially in strongman cos it really shows you going balls to the wall you ain't cutting corners you just refuse to give up, sumo you greatly reducing the range of motion making it easier! Simples

Adam your just wrong - I mean totally wrong!!!
drew said:
Does he mean the amount you need to move the bar to hitch it would be lessened. Could you do the 'leg rest' tech and sumo, like a 4 part dead
Edit although I suppose shin length is constant

But it wouldn't be lessened, you are still taking the bar drom the floor to standing up. No different to power clean vs continental imo.

Sumo, you dont stand up straight, your feet are miles apart. It is a different end point.

C+J and cont clean + strict display different strengths, but the bar goes from floor to locked out OH with feet in same place in the end. So, full lift is completed.

I dont think sumo completes the lift, and wont until you are stood up properly like a conv deadlift
Post Edited: 17.10.2012 @ 16:19 PM by davycummings
ChrisGlover said:
My debate would be that ALL the top pullers are conventional and not sumo, how can you say there not stood up, as clearly is offering no advantage if ALL the biggest pullers are pulling conventional.

I can say they are not stood up becasue if you measured their standing height and the height they are "stood" at during a sumo pull, it would be drastically different.

If I am stood at less than my standing height i am not stood up

I am glad the best pullers pull conv, but that is not the case in all comps or classes.

I am sure i could win a loading medley if i only had to do 75% of the items the others were doing, to me it is the same thing
pretty much same views as JC. i thought strongman was supposed to look impressive and show feats of strength but watching a big assume-ably strong bloke jerk the same as a female oly lifter doesnt impress me.

personally im not keen on push press bcos as jc said oh shud test shoulder/tricep strength and altho push press does test this to an extent it still tests leg drive and technical ability. that said i still push press bcos id be at a huge disadvantage if i didnt and if i cud jerk more than my strict press id probably use jerks too
davycummings said:
I can say they are not stood up becasue if you measured their standing height and the height they are "stood" at during a sumo pull, it would be drastically different.
If I am stood at less than my standing height i am not stood up
I am glad the best pullers pull conv, but that is not the case in all comps or classes.
I am sure i could win a loading medley if i only had to do 75% of the items the others were doing, to me it is the same thing

That is utter s**t mate, i pulled sumo for a session while others pulled conventional and measured the height and my range of motion due to my lower leg limbs being long i thought be intrested to measure. my ROM was greater than all the conventional deadlifts in the group so i cant agree at all with you there
has anyone tried doing a sumo deadlift and bringing the feet together at the end?

Sounds hard.
ChrisGlover said:
That is utter s**t mate, i pulled sumo for a session while others pulled conventional and measured the height and my range of motion due to my lower leg limbs being long i thought be intrested to measure. my ROM was greater than all the conventional deadlifts in the group so i cant agree at all with you there

not your range of motion! the range of motion of the wieght - the higher it has to be pulled the mre strenght you need to do that! Simple mechanics!!!!
ChrisGlover said:

Was the ROM greater than your own conv dead?

No
Simeon said:has anyone tried doing a sumo deadlift and bringing the feet together at the end?

Sounds hard.

it does, so therefore any perceived advantage of the sumo would be mitigated
how many sumo haters that think its cutting corners bcos of the less ROM, bench with an arch to lower ROM?
ChrisGlover said:

Your rom may have been longer than theirs, but it would be shorter than your conv ROM

My training partner has shorter arms than me, should I press less distance to compensate.

Your ROM is your ROM, other peoples are irrelevant to whether or not you are performing the full lift, a sumo deadlift does not result in you ending in a proper stood up position, so to me is not completing the lift.

Sumo is deliberately reducing the distance YOU have to lift, regardless of others

We shall have to agree to disagree im afraid
DomRedshaw said:how many sumo haters that think its cutting corners bcos of the less ROM, bench with an arch to lower ROM?

It is quite a good point, and one i had not really given much thought, as there is almost never bench in Strongman
I'd have thought it would make sense to dictate what the event was eg. Conventional deadlift for reps, max floor to overhead (any way possible) or Clean and press etc. Surely a detailed description of the event wouldn't be so hard and would surely level the playing field?
JC said:I'd hate to see sumo in strongman

I appreciate the jerk (as a beautifully technicallift), but I'm not really a fan (as a strength display), as it shows speed under the bar and leg power, as opposed to shoulder and tricep strength which OH should be a hugely significant test of IMO

This is why I prefer to see log as opposed to axle in comps, as the split jerk is obvioulsy not as easy to perfect/implement on a log

I obvioulsy realise that most wont share my views, but these are my opinions on the matter

davycummings said:
Your rom may have been longer than theirs, but it would be shorter than your conv ROM
My training partner has shorter arms than me, should I press less distance to compensate.
Your ROM is your ROM, other peoples are irrelevant to whether or not you are performing the full lift, a sumo deadlift does not result in you ending in a proper stood up position, so to me is not completing the lift.
Sumo is deliberately reducing the distance YOU have to lift, regardless of others
We shall have to agree to disagree im afraid

We shall indeed, but id much rather see a sumo pull in strongman (from someone who doesnt compete in strongman) than one those eye sores called a hitch which at times looks similar to an epileptic fit.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitInteresting and highly civil debate about the Jerk in Strongman
Return to top View Desktop Site