Who's Online - 0 members and 221 guests

Boltons strongest man 2012.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

SeddyIconBoltons strongest man 2012.14-09-2011 @ 00:39 
Member 1256, 90 posts
SQ 180, BP 150, DL 220
550.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Hiya chaps,

Im back from the planning meeting with Bolton council and have secured one of the best outdoor venues around for the second year running, Victoria square, bolton town centre (and yes, we've got the saturday afternoon slot again..)
Happy

I have approx 4 months of planning and 6 months of implementing this time round. The 2011 event attracted over 1500 spectators into the town centre in August and my aim is to double it.

There are some pretty difficult decisions I may have to make as organiser, mainly being,..

a) Do I keep it 'Bolton postcode' competitors only?

b) Do I extend to neighbouring towns?

c) Do I 'throw it open' to the rest of the country?

Im just looking for some 'pros and cons' feedback to help with planning.

cheers,

Andy S.
SeddyIcon...14-09-2011 @ 00:58 
Member 1256, 90 posts
SQ 180, BP 150, DL 220
550.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Few bits of extra detail,...

Ive got very supportive local media, a keen sponsor, interested advertisers, a helpful and friendly council planning department and a town population of 260,000.

Strongman Bolton will also be introducing a 'strength and fitness' showcase for gyms, supplement stores and related business to run alongside our event on the day.

Its an all round good egg with great potential.
TeddyIcon...14-09-2011 @ 08:46 
in my mouth
Member 2264, 92 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 150, DL 290
667.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 14.09.2011 @ 08:54 AM by Teddy
I'd imagine the majority of Sugden would say open it up to the whole country, but I'll offer my biased opinion regardless.

(Despite the fact that I'm doing Cheshire's U105s when I'm from Lancashire...) I think regional "titles" should only be available to athletes from that region.. I know some people aren't bothered about the titles and just want to compete etc. But I can't see the local interest (media in particular) staying if Bolton's Strongest Man is from Kent or wherever.

There's a good amount of homegrown talent in Bolton, certainly on the novice and intermediate level - with a few athletes I'd consider to be of elite level. With the novices from this year improving and possibly entering the open, there's room and plenty of interest for new blood in that category.

[/biased boltonian opinion]

This is no slur on your efforts, because you did an amazing job as a one-man band. But what I do think was missing was proper marketing/advertising for the event. A radio interview a few newspaper articles and facebook isn't enough to generate a buzz about a big town centre event, imo.

Next year I'd like to see posters in every gym MONTHS before, a post on Sugden, etc! You know myself and most of the lads would be happy to help with stuff like this. Happy
craigmancIcon...14-09-2011 @ 09:10 
not much fun
Member 374, 3172 posts
Andy my thoughts!!

Keep on running Boltons next year like you did this year and just have maybe 6 open guys to have a quick 4 or 5 event quick comp. Invites only and see what happens!! I know 6 guys that would jump at the chance to compete in a venue like Boltons Town Centre
chaosIcon...14-09-2011 @ 09:16 
An amazing human being
Member 2047, 17156 posts
SQ 262.5, BP 170, DL 300
732.5 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Like Craig syas have an open comp with a few competitors - keep it relatively short for the spectators and a Bolton vs Preston vs Wigan team comp or something like that, crowd might not know who the guys are but you can bet they'll cheer on their local guys? Just my 2p Grin
JCIcon...14-09-2011 @ 11:33 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 14.09.2011 @ 11:38 AM by JC
I train with Millsy, so was at the comp to watch and support him

Without meaning any direspect to anyone who competed, the standard outside the Top 3 was a heavy 'novice' standard I'd imagine

Those guys will have progressed further in a years time, but for a minority sport, if you keep it to within the Bolton psotcode, you aren't going to get many more high level strongmen coming out for next year imo

So, as to whether you open it up to other psotcodes/towns, I think first, you have to ask yourself the questions:

What level of competition do I want to run?

Can athletes in the BL postcode support this level?

If its any heavier than last year, then the answer would appear to be 'no'
SeddyIcon...14-09-2011 @ 11:37 
Member 1256, 90 posts
SQ 180, BP 150, DL 220
550.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Teddy said:I'd imagine the majority of Sugden would say open it up to the whole country, but I'll offer my biased opinion regardless.

(Despite the fact that I'm doing Cheshire's U105s when I'm from Lancashire...) I think regional "titles" should only be available to athletes from that region.. I know some people aren't bothered about the titles and just want to compete etc. But I can't see the local interest (media in particular) staying if Bolton's Strongest Man is from Kent or wherever.

There's a good amount of homegrown talent in Bolton, certainly on the novice and intermediate level - with a few athletes I'd consider to be of elite level. With the novices from this year improving and possibly entering the open, there's room and plenty of interest for new blood in that category.

[/biased boltonian opinion]

This is no slur on your efforts, because you did an amazing job as a one-man band. But what I do think was missing was proper marketing/advertising for the event. A radio interview a few newspaper articles and facebook isn't enough to generate a buzz about a big town centre event, imo.

Next year I'd like to see posters in every gym MONTHS before, a post on Sugden, etc! You know myself and most of the lads would be happy to help with stuff like this. Happy
Yep,.. understand about the title thing (boltons strongest being from kent or elsewhere,.. doesnt make sense to do that) a seperate comp for 'invites' might be the way forward.

Moving it to a 2 day event is another thought, costs would be massive though.

I can only think of starting at 10am with novice, followed by a short invitational comp, followed by the main slot in the afternoon. I thought the short novice comp worked well last time.

Also teddy,.. the advertising / promotion etc WILL be far more prominent this time.

Last year I was working with a budget of ZERO, I actually ended up slightly out of pocket.

Had some advice this time, learned a lot and have offers of printing equipment, poster design, marketing help,.... Gonna be a lot more switched on with my budget this time.Happy
SeddyIcon...14-09-2011 @ 11:44 
Member 1256, 90 posts
SQ 180, BP 150, DL 220
550.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
JC said:I train with Millsy, so was at the comp to watch and support him

Without meaning any direspect to anyone who competed, the standard outside the Top 3 was a heavy 'novice' standard I'd imagine

Those guys will have progressed further in a years time, but for a minority sport, if you keep it to within the Bolton psotcode, you aren't going to get many more high level strongmen coming out for next year imo

So, as to whether you open it up to other psotcodes/towns, I think first, you have to ask yourself the questions:

What level of competition do I want to run?

Can athletes in the BL postcode support this level?

If its any heavier than last year, then the answer would appear to be 'no'
Good points, thanks for that. Its a gamble because 12 months from now, the homegrown athletes will be a lot further progressed strength and experience wise. I remind myself that only 2 years ago, none of this existed.

I agree that my main thought should be 'what level' of comp do I want to hold.
PeteHodgsonIcon...14-09-2011 @ 11:53 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
It's nice to get a Boltons Strongest Man from Bolton if it's feasable. It's also good for the spectators to see loads of really strong dudes compete. Just thinking as I'm typeing here, but how about 'Boltons Strongest Man' maybe 4 or 5 events, all competitiors from Bolton. And an open to all comp, a bit heavier, maybe a decent open level, for 4 or 5 events, then 2 more events for the opens plus top 3 from Boltons? Or is that crazy, it might need to stretch to 2 days whhich is probably not feasable cost wise for you or the competitors.

So:
10am-1pm-Boltons Strongest Man-4/5 events
1pm-4pm-Open Strongman-4/5 events
break
5pm-Open versus Boltons top 3- 3 events

Could probably get it all done faster depending on number of guys doing it and doing head to head events.

Confused
siovrhylIcon...14-09-2011 @ 11:55 
Wales strongest man 2012
Member 548, 1197 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 360
855.0 kgs @ 128kgs Eq
maybe open it wider with a north england strongest man or northwest strongest man
craigmancIcon...14-09-2011 @ 11:58 
not much fun
Member 374, 3172 posts
North west strongest man the same day as Boltons Strongest man sounds coolio!!

If you want to run a team comp Andy my equipment is at you disposal
SeddyIcon...14-09-2011 @ 12:13 
Member 1256, 90 posts
SQ 180, BP 150, DL 220
550.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
siovrhyl said:maybe open it wider with a north england strongest man or northwest strongest man
This is something else Im toying with,.... got pages of ideas scribbled down.

One thought I had was to keep 'boltons strongest' as it is and start an entirely different comp,.. 'northwests' 'manchesters'... also need to research it as I don't want to 'step on anyones toes' with 'north of englands',.. I know there are already similar titles in existance (UK north etc..).

Thoughts anyone?
JCIcon...14-09-2011 @ 12:18 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Seddy said: This is something else Im toying with,.... got pages of ideas scribbled down.
One thought I had was to keep 'boltons strongest' as it is and start an entirely different comp,.. 'northwests' 'manchesters'... also need to research it as I don't want to 'step on anyones toes' with 'north of englands',.. I know there are already similar titles in existance (UK north etc..).
Thoughts anyone?

UK Strongman North doesnt market its self as a NW Strongest Man thing...its had guys from the South & Midlands compete

If you want a decent level of comp ie. intermediate or above, I'd just run it as Greater Manchesters Strongest Man if I was you.....

Again, as I said, all dependant on the level of comp you want to put on

If however, 12 of 15 guys were from outside of Bolton, think of the support the 3 guys from Bolton would get from the crowd...possibly make for an even better atmosphere
SeddyIcon...14-09-2011 @ 12:21 
Member 1256, 90 posts
SQ 180, BP 150, DL 220
550.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:It's nice to get a Boltons Strongest Man from Bolton if it's feasable. It's also good for the spectators to see loads of really strong dudes compete. Just thinking as I'm typeing here, but how about 'Boltons Strongest Man' maybe 4 or 5 events, all competitiors from Bolton. And an open to all comp, a bit heavier, maybe a decent open level, for 4 or 5 events, then 2 more events for the opens plus top 3 from Boltons? Or is that crazy, it might need to stretch to 2 days whhich is probably not feasable cost wise for you or the competitors.

So:
10am-1pm-Boltons Strongest Man-4/5 events
1pm-4pm-Open Strongman-4/5 events
break
5pm-Open versus Boltons top 3- 3 events

Could probably get it all done faster depending on number of guys doing it and doing head to head events.

Confused
Yep, complicated isnt it? I have quite a few 'rules' to adhere to because Im working with the council,.. main ones being time ( I can only use the square between 0600 and 1800..) and Insurance ( I HAVE to insure the event up to £5m, can get very expensive..)
PaulSavageIcon...14-09-2011 @ 18:53 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
JC said:
UK Strongman North doesnt market its self as a NW Strongest Man thing...its had guys from the South & Midlands compete

A little bit outside of that, i remember placing 3rd to two poles in one of the UK strongman north comps.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions