REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 148 guests
You are here: HomeForumslow_lift_joe → View All Posts

View All Posts: slow_lift_joe

» Interesting Encounters As A Bodyguard or Minder or Close Protection ? (Go to post)24-09-2018 @ 21:25 
Firstly I never saw the Bodyguard series on BBC one, I might watch it on catch up at some point.
People seem to be giving it good reviews.
(I did see the Whitney/Costner film many years ago, that was very Hollywood)

The reason for the thread, I have known a few powerlifters/bodybuilders over the years as doorman and bouncers who had some interesting encounters.

Also I have known some boys in the military who went into close protection and driving in close protection.

Anyone here ever worked the door or been a minder or been caught off guard while working in security or protection.
» Getting old.... (Go to post)24-09-2018 @ 21:13 
I am 49 years old.

I am as strong as I was when younger but maybe not so quick and dynamic.
I also need more time to recover.

Personally I think if you keep a close eye on the nutrition, the sleep and the fitness conditioning, then strength can be the same and you can still improve, but patience is the key with age. Also forget your ego as you age. Become wise.

So people say once you pass 55 it is just maintenance, which might be true. I will keep in shape and keep lifting even if it is maintenance in a few more years but there will be improvements here and there regardless.Happy
» Dieting is a monumental waste of time who agrees? (Go to post)11-09-2018 @ 18:46 
I agree fully with Danny.

Long term healthy nutrition is the key.

Dieting in terms of Atkins, South Beach, Keto, Soup Diet etc
will never work in the long term, and you will have the yo-yo effect and weight cycling which is dangerous.

Good nutrition and education and learning about good nutrition is of crucial importance.
» Training frequency and intensity (Go to post)11-09-2018 @ 18:36 
I will train twice a week, sometimes four times on strength training, four times is difficult for me due to my driving commitments, sometime I can push four times.

Mainly compound lifts Press, Deadlift, Bench and Squat.

Assistance work which will be pull ups/chin ups, front squat, rack or block deadlift work, trap bar deadlift, box squat, close grip bench, incline press
these in the main with some dumbbell rows.

Conditioning once a week at this time of year, running in the main or concept 2 rowing or bike work, but I hate cardio, I would like to hill run with a prowler sled but I do not own one and I am sure I would look a right muppet running up a hill pushing a load of weight plates, just not got the confidence to do that.
The cardio is the only thing with good nutrition that keeps my weight and body composition little more balanced.
» Real life and martial arts (Go to post)04-09-2018 @ 21:08 
Adam, fair point, your right.
If the attacker has all that speed and strike force then it is curtains.

We can only be the best we can be, and develop and learn.
All of us can be beaten, my point is the average attacker with average ability can be beaten by a more skilful or trained person in most cases depending on the environment, and no weapons etc, in a one on one attack.

Holly Holm did a good striking job on Rousey.

Fair point Adam.
Happy
» Real life and martial arts (Go to post)04-09-2018 @ 19:12 
Mass, Strength and Skill, not all children have all three early on.
Plus children grow and develop at different rates.

I cannot see Ronda Rousey having an issue with a potential large male attacker either in her Judo days or her MMA days, so skill sometimes is everything.
The arm bar queen but maybe not the best striker.

Interesting to see the different views, thanks for all the opinions so far.Happy
» Real life and martial arts (Go to post)30-08-2018 @ 23:51 
What are your opinions on martial arts ?
The reason I ask is I am considering putting my children into a martial arts class, more for their confidence and exercise and as they move to high school in a few years time. They had some issues in school with small time bullying/aggression from certain children.

They do their swimming and general sports but not a dedicated martial art.

Easy going kids, very relaxed and peaceful.

I did Judo when I was in school and it helped me with confidence.

These days I prefer my powerlifting and strength training.

The best martial in the 21 century would be for Striking :- Boxing and Muay Thai
Grappling :- Ju Jitsu and Judo.

I think the likes of kung fu and Taekwondo offer little in terms of real value in a street attack or bullying.

However doing Muay Thai would give the child some injuries.
» Attacked for deadlifting too loudly (Go to post)06-08-2018 @ 16:31 
Problem resolved :-
Just do curls and flys...and listen to easy listening music.

Tongue
» Just a thought (Go to post)16-07-2018 @ 20:43 
I could make it on to Love Island for non beautiful people.
It would be called Bulk Island.

As for Gyms for Free, I have business plan like a famous Irish airline it will be cheap but the refreshments and extras or bags carried in including belts, straps and towels the cost will be £50 as extras.
» performance un-enhancing weather (Go to post)10-07-2018 @ 23:51 
The heat just slows me down.

I cannot push myself the same.

A good fan could be the answer next year, I cannot afford air conditioning.

However I prefer this weather to the wind and rain and it is about time we have a good summer.

November 2018 :-
Picture this come waking up in the dark, coming home in the dark and back to dressing like you are in Antarctica or Mawsynram...before you know it you will no longer be showing off those power bellies and your guns ! You hide under your layers or water proofs.

Happy
» Terry Todd has died (Go to post)09-07-2018 @ 22:11 
My sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

It is very rare you have a ambassador for strength, a historian of strength sports, a former great competitor and a true advocate for physical culture and sports rolled into one, he was all this.

You made a difference Terry Todd rest in peace.
» General benefits of training (Go to post)19-06-2018 @ 00:01 
The Iron has taught me the following :-

Self Respect
Restraint
Self Control

Plus how to progress gradually.

I personally believe it has helped me so much in life and in many ways it has had a clear positive effect on my well being both in mind and body.
» Tyson Fury is back, but will it be a great comeback ? (Go to post)13-06-2018 @ 19:22 
Professional boxing is high level.

You can use cliché like hard work can beat talent when talent does not work.
Fury is talented, but Joshua and Wilder are professional and focused.

I cannot see Joshua or Wilder taking Fury for granted, so Mr Fury needs to up his game on all levels and get serious, he just does seem to have that focus. Maybe after your first million you lose the drive and the hunger, I do not know..
hunger and drive sometimes get diluted after you make money for life.
Sport can do that with big money.

For me he needs to get more serious and focus and show what he can really do in the ring, his boxing legacy is at stake.
» Tyson Fury is back, but will it be a great comeback ? (Go to post)11-06-2018 @ 17:47 
He is back, but not the fight to give any opinion yet.

He is a long way off Wilder or Joshua yet.

His opponent rank needs to move up for the next fight.
» Tom Magee (Go to post)06-06-2018 @ 23:25 
Firstly I hope Tom recovers and get well soon.

Cowards, six onto one is never a fair fight.

I do not like to get punched in the face but where I grow up you had to stand up for yourself.
A fair fight is a fair fight.

No reason for violence over a parking space absolutely insane in a world where there are far more important issues than parking and traffic.

Everyone has a right to defend themselves or stand up for themselves but in a argument with six people and you are one person alone it is both unfair and cowardly. I would like to have seen their reaction if six of Tom mates where with him...cowards nothing more than cowards.

You are here: HomeForumslow_lift_joe → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions