Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumbrynevans → View All Posts

View All Posts: brynevans

» Witness my new training style! (Go to post)22-06-2007 @ 16:39 
I don't think he'd even get those passed in the WPO!
» info on gym work/ courses please (Go to post)21-06-2007 @ 23:22 
Ive been to various gyms on my travels and I have to echo much of what has been said previously. Most of the commercial gyms I have been to dont want to cater to powerlifters or indeed any "big lads" and often symbolise this with a lack of free weights and miniscule dumbells, no squat rack and sometimes no benchpress. I think you can find out if a gym is "for you" by walking over to the heavy end of the dumbell rack, if its less than 100lbs find another gym. I can totally understand a novice on a cross trainer being intimidated by the clinking of 45lb discs when gazing through a mist of chalk at group of guys getting psyched up for a big squat or deadlift. One gym I trained at when I worked in the USA was run by a powerlifter and had a totally seperate freeweights room with 2 benches a squat rack and 2 power racks and another full set of dumbells, on the wall was a deepsquatter poster so I just knew it was going to be the right gym for me!
» BWLA British Equipped (Go to post)17-06-2007 @ 22:12 
I can tell you who those deep grunting noises are coming from, it's none other than the legendary Tony Stevens. He is shouting "come on" theres a list of his sayings which seem to carry over the entire room at any big contest which include "Oh yeah" "Good Boy" "Take it to the house" "let's get violent" to name just a few.
Tony was the big name in the 100's during the 1980's with several world titles and I think 6 European titles which won him a place in the IPF hall of fame. He was talking of a comeback in the M2, theres a video of him squatting over 320kg recently on youtube I think though he has since injured himself.
» The overtraining bible: a complete guide (Go to post)10-06-2007 @ 21:01 
Jo,
Looks pretty sensible on the whole, are you keeping the reps up to 4-6 range rather than singles? I felt a bit as though I was giving you a telling off in my last posting on here but I think now you are starting to see that you wre doing quite a bit more workload than you could cope with. I hope the new routine gives you a chance to sort your injuries and nail your technique perfectly. Good luck
» The difference between amercians and english soldiers (Go to post)09-06-2007 @ 13:14 
A good friend of mine has just returned from Iraq for about the 4th time since it started and he reports it being far worse than it has ever been now. They were constantly being fired upon and in one situation while moving some very heavy equipment relatively slowly they came under RPG attack. Iraqis were popping up over walls to fire at them so they were having to machine gun anything that moved in passageways and over walls to prevent attacks. It must be remembered too that many of the westerners out there are not regular army. They are civilians (usually ex army) working as private contractors for some of the US security companies but often accompaning Govt troops.
» The overtraining bible: a complete guide (Go to post)04-06-2007 @ 23:41 
When are you going to find time to recover? I honestly think you are doing way too much and you admit as much yourself are you just waiting until you are "sure" you are doing too much?. I have had injury problems in the past and more recently and you have to listen to the warnings and know that it is better for your lifting to not lift sometimes than to be a hero and then spend the next few days complaining about injuries. If you are in the powerlifting game for the long haul then you have to reduce your workload or you will constantly suffer injuries and never reach your full potential.
» And another thing that's wrong with those bench presses.... (Go to post)30-05-2007 @ 22:45 
Only in America..........
» APF record squat video (Go to post)28-05-2007 @ 23:13 
I think there was a reason it used to be called a "Deep knee bend" all those years ago
» Help for British champs (Go to post)28-05-2007 @ 21:46 
It would be interesting to see if the BDFPA had actually enforced these rules to the extent that someone was guilty by association?
The training sessions were aimed at getting people together and attracting new people into the sport. Not everyone has the benefits of training with other lifters or indeed knows about how a contest runs. As far as a format goes it depends on the ability levels that come on the day, which is why it would be useful to get an idea of numbers and ability beforehand. Maybe a short talk from Jim then everyone get warmed up for squats, then bench, then deadlifts as per a contest. Its up to the individual whether you want to do "reps" to fit in with your current training or singles if you fancy going heavier. You could bring along a copy of there current training routine for critique? We'd welcome some input from you all about what you would want to get out of the day, there are a few very experienced lifters have indicated they will come along and Chris who owns Rhinos is also a BWLA registed coach so there should be enough experienced people at hand.
So this is not an "official" BWLA event but obviously we are going to encourage any new lifters to join BWLA in preference to any other organisation and there maybe some BPC sinners who wish to repent!
» APF record squat video (Go to post)28-05-2007 @ 17:21 
At the risk of getting into a federation bashing exercise Im going to say " Is that really a squat?" no matter what the camera angle it was nowhere near deep enough. It would be interesting to see how strong some of these guys are when they have to do a "proper" squat? I bet that extra 6 inchs of depth robs you of many pounds!
» essential Ronnie Coleman soundboard (Go to post)23-05-2007 @ 13:02 
Very funny! Now someone will get the idea of doing that at the next powerlifting comp with everyones psyching up slogans?
» Entering a BWLA Comp (Go to post)23-05-2007 @ 11:04 
Yes M1 is masters 1 which is 40-49 M2 is 50 to 59 M3 60to 69 theres even M4
You can still lift as a senior if you are in an age cat. you qualify as M1 in the year of your 40th bithday so you can lift at 39!
» Deadlift grip question (Go to post)22-05-2007 @ 12:10 
Post Edited: 22.05.2007 @ 12:11 PM
Brad Gillingham obviously lost sleep about any possible inbalance of his back with the alternate grip so he deadlifts with palms back using the "hook grip". Amazingly he manages to keep hold of 370-380kg in competition.
I would agree with the others that if you do your regular back work with a normal grip any inbalance will be negligable. I think one of the best things you can do for grip strength is get rid of straps if you use them and just use chalk.
» The overtraining bible: a complete guide (Go to post)21-05-2007 @ 12:02 
Jo,
Do you think your body is trying to tell you something? You have completed a power cycle and then competed which is a lot of work and it takes a lot out of you. I would say most powerlifters then have a period of what I would call "active rest" where upon you go into the gym 2-3 days after the comp and go through the motions just to loosen up. This would involve doing light full range of motion lifts and light assistance exercises and some stretching. This is a time for recovery. In the following weeks (unless there is another contest immediately on the horizon) commence "off season" type training which involves good form/technique and light to moderate weights so maybe 5-6 reps and about 50% 1rm poundage and gradually edge it up over the weeks. You can work on some of the assistance exercises on a cycling basis too.
You seem to have a number of injuries? How well are you managing these? I see you have had psysiotherapy too, how useful was this and what was their advice to you?
When you are injured you are have to learn when to stop and when to train, there's no point continuing a workout just because you wrote down I must do 3 sets on X weight then making an injury much worse as a result of doing it.
I would urge you to take some rest, you were almost immediately back in the gym using big poundages which has been detrimental to you. With the other training you do you never get any good recovery periods. Get your injuries sorted out, Listen to your physio, if they are familiar to working with strength trainers they will understand the mechanics of the lifts and advise you accordingly on what to avoid doing. Keep up with ice/heat therapy stretching that they may tell you to do.
Doing less is not cheating it is about preserving your long term goals, you have a lot of potential and I hate to see you doing too much and getting hurt.
» PowerLifting Gyms (Go to post)20-05-2007 @ 14:26 
Tokar,
Yes if you(or indeed anyone on the site) wants to come for a workout sometime then just drop me or Jim a line. By our own admission neither of us are expert coaches but there is a benefit to training with other powerlifters and getting some feedback on your lifts which cannot be observed in the "virtual gym" online. Hopefully we will see a few of you at the training session at Rhinos next month?

You are here: HomeForumbrynevans → View All Posts
Return to top View Desktop Site