REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 381 guests
You are here: HomeForumAquarian → View All Posts

View All Posts: Aquarian

12345678910 ... ... 2122232425262728293031

» 300kg deadlift attempt near miss and 225kg beltless high bar squat (Go to post)04-11-2012 @ 20:55 
PAGAN said:Very close on the deadlift. Was your grip going?

Yes - short fat fingers don't help but it's been getting stronger every week doing plate loaded grip holds.
» 300kg deadlift attempt near miss and 225kg beltless high bar squat (Go to post)04-11-2012 @ 20:54 
Mark said:So close on the 300, unlucky. Can't see why you would fail that again in 4 weeks Happy

Thanks! In 23 days I will test fate (and grip) again - I max out every 24 days.
» 300kg deadlift attempt near miss and 225kg beltless high bar squat (Go to post)04-11-2012 @ 20:53 
Terminator said:300 would have been yours and more with straps I think Happy

Real men don't wear straps or wraps Wink. No seriously I'd been stuck on 295 with straps for well over a year. Every time I went for 300 it stalled above the knees. So decided to lose the straps and get my technique and lockout strength up.

Used a plate loaded grip machine to help keep the hands closed for longer. Also started doing beltless high bar squats to help the quad strength with the lockout.
I always do touch and go deadlifts for reps (using 531) and I think this has helped grip and lockout strength which has traditionally been my weakness.

Took 3 attempts over almost 3 months to get 295 without the straps - first attempt stalled above the knees. 2nd attempt a few inches from lockout. 3rd nailed it.

My training has been a bit crap in the last month so to almost get 300 on the first attempt bodes well for next time. Maybe I'll go for a double if the first attempt is easy!
» SPOTO full bench meet (Go to post)04-11-2012 @ 01:27 
I hope that old geezer is ok - spotters were half asleep when he dropped the weight on himself. After what happened to the Russian he'd better get to A&E in a rush.

Piss poor comp - virtually no good lifts and even the ones that were passed were a joke.

Surprised to see Max Aita of the 0-600 squat in 60s fame struggle with a 160 odd bench when I think his raw squat is 705.
» 300kg deadlift attempt near miss and 225kg beltless high bar squat (Go to post)03-11-2012 @ 22:58 
Close but no cigar - but happy with the effort - done after 235x5 and 270x3 all without straps. Will attempt again in 24 days time and should get it!

This was almost a disaster. Have done 230 a few times (last time 8 days ago) fairly easily. Quads a bit knackered from the dl's. Will try and get a side view next time. Any advice from high bar experts welcomed - I can't quite stay totally upright and the bar is on the traps but not right at the top.

» Sticky on good gyms / Physical Culture Gym Putney (Go to post)30-10-2012 @ 22:24 
Terminator said:I've trained there and would recommend it, fairly quiet, a couple of full sized logs, plenty of bars bands bumpers and chains and at least 3 squat racks I think.

The only thing missing is free parking, but its in an expensive location so thats understandable

It's pretty quiet weekends and afternoons - evenings can get a bit busy but in general we're a good bunch and people are reasonably informed in gym etiquette.

We have 3 racks - including a custom built one which is rock solid and great for squatting or overhead lifts. Loads of Eleiko bars, 2 Texas Power Bars, 1 Texas Deadlift Bar, Loads of Ivanko Bars, 2 Trap Bars, Safety Squat Bar, Cambered Bar - basically if you want it we've got it! Not to mention logs, tires, stones, chains, bands (no whips!), Grip tools, loads of great Medex machines, Competition PL Bench Press with adjustable rack height and catches, loads of bumper and iron plates (including some 50's), women's oly training bar, no restrictions on chalk, oly lifting platforms and a great atmosphere to train in.

Would be great to have more PLers, OLers or even SM guys there. Would love to see some of the Sugden freaks turn up there and push the equipment to its limits!
» Sticky on good gyms / Physical Culture Gym Putney (Go to post)30-10-2012 @ 22:13 
Pudd said:Aquarian, I'm in London and I'm looking to move south west soon, Wandsworth ish area (currently Bromley) how much is the gym per month?

Pudd, I pay 39.99 per month direct debit on a rolling 12 month contract - not sure what the current rates are but they should be in that ballpark. Best to contact the owner Chris by email (gym@physicalculture.co.uk) who is a great bloke and he's pretty flexible on contract lengths etc. He'll even give you a free workout to try things out.
» Sticky on good gyms / Physical Culture Gym Putney (Go to post)29-10-2012 @ 23:36 
Can we have a sticky on good gyms in the country - ones that cater to whatever pursuit(s) that interest us - ie PL, OL, SM whatever?

I would like to recommend my gym - Physical Culture in Putney, West London. The gym has been around for ages, has some of the best PL, WL and even Strongman equipment and a great lifter-friendly atmosphere, run by a great bloke who is always investing in new equipment and in a good, safe location, close to East Putney tube and plenty of local bus routes. Gary Taylor trained there for a while as well as some other PL'ers and BB'ers and we have a bunch of decent PL'ers, OL'ers and a couple of totally mad SM / SW too!

I've been going there for just over a year and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for any serious or even semi-serious lifters in the area. I actually travel for almost an hour to train there myself and it's easily worth the cost and time to do so.

http://www.physicalculture.co.uk/ - the website needs a bit of updating but if you check out the facebook page you'll get a better idea of things.
» is R.I.C.E wrong? (Go to post)03-10-2012 @ 18:46 
In my experience ice and nsaids do work if used sensibly. I've recently had groin, pec and elbow strains which I successfully rehabbed with rest and ice.

I do ice post workout and it seems to help, along with stretching, a hot bath and both natural anti-inflammatories (eg bromelain) and nsaids.

This article on SS is a good read countering some of the recent popular theories about inflammation:

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/article/inflammatio...
» All you can eat...unless you're a p.i.g. (Go to post)02-10-2012 @ 22:40 
Poor buggers - a few hundred eat all you can meals and then banned for life :-(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/9581559/Pa...
» The dangers of benching alone when inebriated and stoned... (Go to post)05-09-2012 @ 18:20 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/04/man-crushed-weightlif...
» Would you lose 10 kg on your squat for... (Go to post)05-09-2012 @ 18:16 
An inch on the arms - no. An inch elsewhere... Wink
» RIP Michael Clarke Duncan (Go to post)05-09-2012 @ 18:14 
Ironically, he had become a vegetarian a few years ago, according to the guardian article:

Earlier this year Duncan had appeared in a video for Peta, the animal rights organisation, in which he spoke of how well he felt since becoming a vegetarian three years earlier.

"I cleared out my refrigerator, about $5,000 worth of meat," he said. "I'm a lot healthier than I was when I was eating meat."

Perhaps the stress of not eating meat overrides the benefit of doing so.
» Clarence Kennedy's new weightlifting website (Go to post)26-08-2012 @ 01:14 
http://weightliftingfix.com/

Love the youtube comments section!
» Which club you in? (Go to post)21-08-2012 @ 21:39 
4.25,5.75,6.875 (took me about 5mins to work out the last one!) - raw (belt, wrist wraps only).

But at a rather fat 109kg Wink

12345678910 ... ... 2122232425262728293031

You are here: HomeForumAquarian → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions