REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 237 guests
You are here: HomeForumAquarian → View All Posts

View All Posts: Aquarian

12345678910 ... ... 2122232425262728293031

» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 16:29 
polkovnikostin said:
Mark Rippetoe / Starting Strength cultists are always like this.

That's a pretty ignorant and generalised remark made by someone who knows very little about me or my training history.

Doing part of one lift in a fashion recommended by a well known coach is hardly being a cultist of the person. I incorporate aspects of many different techniques in my lifts - it doesn't mean I fully endorse or reject any technique or program because I happen to agree or disagree with the rest of its philosophy.

I'm not dogmatic in my approach to lifting - I try out different things and modify them to work for me.

For example using 531 I don't stick strictly to the percentages - only increment the weight by the same amount between sets - and I have never done a deload.

I've been lifting long enough now - 26 years or so - to understand my body and mind and how to get the best out of it. It's still a work in progress and I'm learning new stuff all the time and don't claim to know it all by a long shot.

Perhaps you would care to share your lifting history with the rest of us since you seem to have such an encyclopaedic knowledge about everything training-related?
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 15:05 
DeanW92 said:As previously mentioned you are strong and that lift was close but as you said yourself it wasn't fully locked out. Yes some of the comments are harsh, but the title says 192.5kg benchpress but should of said something along the lines of "192.5kg bench fail" or "allmost 192.5kg bench".

In the future I will be totally accurate in my topic titles!

Having said that, I imagine that in the near future we will see a 192.5kg bench or higher, with a full lock-out

You will for sure if the injury gods are kind...
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 15:03 
unit94 said:I wasnt making a snide comment I was stating the fact that the lift was incomplete, the only videos I have on YouTube are of strongman comps which I can post if you want but I don't see how their relevant.

It's cool I'm a little tetchy today - 42 year old male menopause and all that!

You are damn strong for your age and I wouldn't mind seeing your gym lift vids - that's all I meant.
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 15:01 
EllD90 said:Perhaps your cameraman should've spotted you and you could've grinded it out, if you had tried.

I usually go spot-less as the bench has safety rails and I can wedge the bar on top of them if I miss.

The cameraman is a pretty outstanding young lifter too!

Good luck on the next attempt.

cheers - it was going ok - maybe a bit too easy and I probably relaxed a bit too early and the right side went pear shaped.
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 14:58 
LessThanLuke said:
Learn to take f**king criticism.

Learn to be a bit more expressive young man. Great deadlift though!
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 14:53 
walker said:Touchy.

Yes a little - it's been a long week!

I'm happy to post my squats up as they're all to depth these days, I've never failed a squat in comp on depth either so I'm not really sure where you're coming from. But hey ho I can take critism. But my squat depth has nothing to do with your failed bench press either.

Your squatting depth is fine for comp - but personally I consider most people's comp squats to be high - but that is the accepted standard these days so fine.

The reason I called you out on your squat depth is to illustrate that people often criticise some aspect of someone else's lifts when they have less than perfect technique themselves.

But it stands that this lift is not a full bench press. I don't know why you feel the need to try to slag off others who offer an opinion on something you posted. If you don't want to hear anything negative then don't post.

On the contrary I don't mind criticism but making 1 line remarks don't really add much and can come across as antagonistic.

I'm a little snarky today though too!

At the end of the day you don't need to be better at something yourself to offer opinion. That's not how critism works. The best coaches are not very often the best competitors.

Agreed - I'm happy to get advice and criticism from anyone reasonably experienced and knowledgeable - their strength levels are less of an issue.

All I ask is that people take into account the conditions under which lifts are performed - I should have highlighted this better but I didn't want to make excuses - which I did anyway!

Ah well wisdom gained, lessons learned!
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 14:39 
milsy said:Your a strong chap there is no doubt about that

Each to there own but I wouldn't be happy with that rep a bench press pb

On the other hand if that is how you have always bench and you have improved on that i suppose in theory it is a "personal best" on that style of left

I'm not trying to offend just throwing in my opinion as I like to follow your training

Thanks - wasn't claiming that as a pb - and I greatly appreciate your comments as I really admire your strength and technique.

As I've said many times in this thread I was pretty knackered from the squats and had no idea what I could lift. So just went for what I did easily last time - and was happy to be able to re-rack it. On a day I was feeling s**t and struggling it was a good omen for future attempts.

Last month I nailed all my lifts - and filmed none of them - this month everything has been a struggle - and filmed all of them!

BTW Congrats on your 200kg bench I hope I can get there next year - film it - and lock it out perfectly!
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 14:28 
walker said:
Is that a joke? Please show me these squats of mine..

You call my bench partial when your squats are barely to parallel from what I have seen on your youtube channel. I just think it's a bit of double standards.

I wouldn't post up a failed bench claiming a PB. You unrack the bar let it drop then press it half way before dumping it onto the rack.

Press it half way up - really? And where did I claim it was a pb? It matches what I did last month - when I repeat I smoked it and had another 5kg in me. I only posted it because I was happy to get close to it again when I was exhausted from my squats 2 days earlier.

I've done 4 max workouts in 8 days - deads+sumo deads, cgbp+log press, squats+partial deads, bench+ohp - and am more than a little tired.

If you don't like the critism then don't post your lifts.

I don't mind criticism at all - I resent snide remarks that belittle my effort from people that have no idea or interest in what someone is feeling on a training day.

Not looking for sympathy or making excuses just explaining why after struggling all week I'm proud of my effort - if not the results.

Hence I'm a little sensitive to 1 line critics - even if they mean well!
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 14:12 
unit94 said:That is a failed rep.

Thanks for your contribution. I'm sure all your lifts are executed with perfect form each time too.

Could I have a link to your videos too please? Wink
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 13:53 
dannyboy73 said:Your all about the pbs this week! Congrats on this and your squat

Thanks mate!
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 13:42 
walker said:Nice partial bench press.

Having seen the depth of your "squats" you really shouldn't criticise anyone else's lifts Mr Walker.
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 01:25 
Jabba said:Very strong work Sir!

Thank you sir!
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 01:25 
LessThanLuke said:But what is lockout...

Yes I didn't lockout well but I nailed it last time with plenty to spare so I know I can do it. Less than 2 days after a brutal beltless 262.5kg squat/good morning I'll take it.

I'm almost 43 not 25 so recovery after big lifts is a bit more of a struggle.

Anyway no excuses - I just wasn't quite strong enough to full lock it out but I'm encouraged I almost did it on a day when the tank was pretty empty and had holes in it Wink
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 00:11 
Benfrancis1993 said:f**k jelous people mate, that's one strong bench

Thanks and yes couldn't agree more re jealous people!
» 192.5kg bench press (Go to post)01-12-2013 @ 00:07 
Still a bit knackered from the squatting 2 days earlier Wink

I smoked this last time but fairly happy with this considering 80kg was feeling heavy during the warmups! I wanted to do 195 or 197.5 today to give 200 a chance next month but guess 200 will have to wait till next year!

After posting this on my facebook page some knob claimed there were loads of "natural" blokes at his gym, half my size, who could do this for 10 reps Roll-Eyes

Nothing like a bit of positive encouragement then!

12345678910 ... ... 2122232425262728293031

You are here: HomeForumAquarian → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions