Who's Online - 1 member and 166 guests

Farmers Walk Chinese Style!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

MattD90Icon...25-11-2012 @ 22:01 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
leeboy said:wow allot of vegetarians on here or do you only eat the animals you know didnt suffer?

The meat industry is far from flawless but at no point in a UK pig's life will anything like this happen to it, and if it did would result in prosecution if anyone saw. Definitely wouldn't attract a 100+ strong crowd loving every minute of it that's for sure. Apologies to any chinese on here but this is indicative of attitudes of a full society not just an individual, that's the worst part
leeboyIcon...25-11-2012 @ 22:21 
do i love snipers? hellyeah
Member 2025, 883 posts
davidhowarth said:
My Beef is with the second picture....
I used to feel the same when people would slide the last three meters of yoke/farmers over the line hear too.
Did the animal suffer in the making of my chicken butty? who nose.
vegetarians would have a different to me.
Is the world very much black and white to you??

not at all but people saying these pigs are suffering is stupid. they are tough as hell and can guarantee you if it could talk it would take this over the slaughter house
leeboyIcon...25-11-2012 @ 22:24 
do i love snipers? hellyeah
Member 2025, 883 posts
MattD90 said:
The meat industry is far from flawless but at no point in a UK pig's life will anything like this happen to it, and if it did would result in prosecution if anyone saw. Definitely wouldn't attract a 100+ strong crowd loving every minute of it that's for sure. Apologies to any chinese on here but this is indicative of attitudes of a full society not just an individual, that's the worst part

you havnt heard and seen all the controversial stuff from slaughter houses? we kill animals everyday because we need to survive? no because they taste so good. how are those pictures worse? out of sight out of mind?
MattD90Icon...25-11-2012 @ 23:02 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 25.11.2012 @ 23:08 PM by MattD90
leeboy said:
you havnt heard and seen all the controversial stuff from slaughter houses? we kill animals everyday because we need to survive? no because they taste so good. how are those pictures worse? out of sight out of mind?

Alot of what you see online is sensationalised by animal rights groups taken from other countries where practices are different from here. There is tight regulation in the UK the standard is generally very good (As long as people are adhering to the rules). I can't argue with the fact we just eat animals because they taste good, I agree. I am selfish myself and do it purely for that reason.

This is different to slaughter because abattoirs are regulated, and because in a more forward thinking country with better animal welfare law like the UK (though still not perfect) this would be illegal. Intrinsically transport and some other parts of a UK pig's life it will experience stress, but often unavoidable for husbandry/welfare reasons. These pictures however are totally avoidable.

Admittedly UK farming practices are not perfect. However I am of the view that it is better to have lived well and died young than to never have lived at all. As long as we can make that bit of life farm animals do have relatively stress and pain free and as far separated from these images as possible and the welfare of the (albeit) short life is very good, what's wrong then? All you're really left to argue then is the ethics of ending something's life prematurely, which really is a separate debate and one no one can really change anyone else's mind on.
hermanIcon...26-11-2012 @ 13:26 
hermit
Member 3904, 988 posts
Explained well Matt.
Big_VessIcon...26-11-2012 @ 14:37 
I am pro for the dish
Member 934, 998 posts
SQ 205, BP 157.5, DL 215
577.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
sexymikehowarth said:

Overall not a nice sight and advert for the strongman game... Just another nail in the coffin for farmers walk IMO which is why it's being completely removed as an event I feel

I thought along with a press / deadlift and stones, farmers walk was a stable event for a comp?? have i missed somthing / would be interested in hearing cheers Mike.
JCIcon...26-11-2012 @ 14:45 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:
Alot of what you see online is sensationalised by animal rights groups taken from other countries where practices are different from here. There is tight regulation in the UK the standard is generally very good (As long as people are adhering to the rules). I can't argue with the fact we just eat animals because they taste good, I agree. I am selfish myself and do it purely for that reason.
This is different to slaughter because abattoirs are regulated, and because in a more forward thinking country with better animal welfare law like the UK (though still not perfect) this would be illegal. Intrinsically transport and some other parts of a UK pig's life it will experience stress, but often unavoidable for husbandry/welfare reasons. These pictures however are totally avoidable.
Admittedly UK farming practices are not perfect. However I am of the view that it is better to have lived well and died young than to never have lived at all. As long as we can make that bit of life farm animals do have relatively stress and pain free and as far separated from these images as possible and the welfare of the (albeit) short life is very good, what's wrong then? All you're really left to argue then is the ethics of ending something's life prematurely, which really is a separate debate and one no one can really change anyone else's mind on.

I'd imagine a battery farmed chicken suffers a lot more than this pig?

or a force fed duck used for foie gras?

I'm sure there are others!?
unit94Icon...26-11-2012 @ 14:50 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Big_Vess said:
I thought along with a press / deadlift and stones, farmers walk was a stable event for a comp?? have i missed somthing / would be interested in hearing cheers Mike.

I was wondering this aswell but frame carries seem to be used way more than farmers nowadays.
SimeonIcon...26-11-2012 @ 14:57 
tight in the hole
Member 2057, 3121 posts
SQ 205, BP 140, DL 260
605.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
JC said:

I'm pretty sure there are new laws being introduces in the UK regarding the wellfare of farmed chickens.

Foie gras would certainly be illegal in the UK
martinbIcon...26-11-2012 @ 15:01 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Simeon said:
I'm pretty sure there are new laws being introduces in the UK regarding the wellfare of farmed chickens.
Foie gras would certainly be illegal in the UK

I think you can only get high welfare foie gras produced in the UK

Geese naturally gorge so the stuff in the UK just lets them, whereas in France they stick a funnel down their throat and shovel grain down

But apparently the UK stuff is s**t
MattD90Icon...26-11-2012 @ 16:41 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
JC said:

Foie gras is banned in UK, though can't stop people importing it to eat

Caged chickens..see my post in the eggs thread in nutrition if you care lol. Essentially the whole chicken industry is flawed, caged, free ranged they both have big problems. Agreed they need to change.

Now that aside, doesn't mean one should use it to justify these pics. Do 2 wrongs make a right? If I find something wrong with for example, the greyhound racing industry does that mean I can then justify beating my dog in the street because "well i'd imagine those racing greyhounds suffer even more!"
JCIcon...26-11-2012 @ 16:53 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
My point was more that, many condeming these pics will then eat battery farmed eggs

You're either against animals being mistreated or your not, you cant really pick and choose IMO when mistreatment is seen as palatable

I dont like the idea of any animal being in distress, but I cant give that much of a f**k in reality, as I'll eat battery farmed eggs. Hence, why I didnt comment on the pics....
MattD90Icon...26-11-2012 @ 16:56 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
JC said:My point was more that, many condeming these pics will then eat battery farmed eggs

You're either against animals being mistreated or your not, you cant really pick and choose IMO when mistreatment is seen as palatable

I dont like the idea of any animal being in distress, but I cant give that much of a f**k in reality, as I'll eat battery farmed eggs. Hence, why I didnt comment on the pics....

Can't argue with that, people need to be more aware of what their food has been through before it gets to aisle 2 tesco
JCIcon...26-11-2012 @ 17:03 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:
Can't argue with that, people need to be more aware of what their food has been through before it gets to aisle 2 tesco

lets be honest, are attitudes to animal welfare are pretty f**ked up

we'll condem the Chinese/European nations about their animal welfare issues....yet dont give a 2nd thought to keeping a bird or rabbit in a tiny cage!!!
HarryIcon...26-11-2012 @ 19:16 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
So people take exception to carrying pigs these days?

If anything those pigs need to be heavy so they're not exactly mis-treated are they? A decent sized animal requires feeding and if you want to see cruelty look at the restaurants they have over there.

Or how about lobsters and crabs in western food outlets?

I don't see many people whinging about rabbit stew that has been freshly hunted. Roll-Eyes

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions