REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 159 guests

Do you think Strongman is heading in the right direction?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

deleted2_20210523Icon...17-03-2012 @ 15:28 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
ursusIcon...17-03-2012 @ 16:19 
Man up and have a fuckin coffee
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.03.2012 @ 16:20 PM by ursus
I personally love it as i think certain levels of sport become a tad dilluted .
I think promoters do a great job, but if i could do it i would create more theatre focussing on heavy looking trucks to be pulled and giant objects to be squated lifted etc
'No lifts' kill comps so rising bar events should be used more.
Finally at CoC the platforms were crazy high meaning quality athletes lost out big points to the taller lads (its not a height contest)Surely 4ft platforms with much heavier stones is the truer test of strength !
The main thing is we are talking about it and it is evolving,and that initself is uber positive.
fongIcon...17-03-2012 @ 17:31 
really really interesting
Member 3474, 2816 posts
SQ 170, BP 120, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.03.2012 @ 17:33 PM by fong
Stetec said:I think the definition of who is the strongest has become blurred. Is it the guy that can lift a huge weight once or twice or the guy who can't do that but can rep more than the other guy with a slightly lighter weight? The current trend is towards the first lifter hence the onus being on heavier each year. Thats what needs to change imho.

It's not just strongman where the elite of years ago wouldn't stand a chance these days, it's every sport. An average professional footballer in division 1 in reallity is probably faster, fitter and more skillfull than Pele! The top guys years ago looked as good as they did because others competing with them weren't to the same standard. Hence our 'average' guys now are fields ahead than the elite were say 20-30 years ago.

The reason for this level of progression is better understanding of physiology, nutrition, like it or not PEDs and in other sports at least, the added incentive of financial gain and recognition. Sport is more of a business these days, a saleable commodity and where there's financial backing to squeeze the most from potential athletes, things will progress in ability.

The problem is, human limitations mean there's only so fast or strong a person can go unaided. Its time to accept that we're approaching those limits so people with influence need to step up and say enough is enough. Back the weights off and concentrate on making strongman a spectacle again. The problem in the publics eye in general is that, yes the things they are witnessing are impressive, they are boring to anyone not involved in the sport.

The problem also as a side note is that unlike the popular sports, football, rugby, cricket, snooker etc etc, a strongman can do nothing to influence his opponents performance. It's a solo sport in essence. And there's little can be done about that due to it's nature. And as such imho it will never have a broad appeal. Sad but true really.

So lets have some ideas on how to make it a spectacle.

think motor sports or running or similar, you don't have to influence your opponent's performance to make it a multi man sport. sure you've got multiple cars or sprinters wizzing round a track; it's essentially the same as strongman in terms of it's a solo effort, but to make it a spectacle it needs comparisons and visible competition (not just a stop watch). this is why i love head to head events. loading races, fingers, stones etc. these are all solo efforts, but with extra people contributing at the same time. honestly i find time trials and solo efforts not as interesting, and i think that's what you're getting at if i'm not mistaken. the arnolds frame carry was a single take-it-in-turns event where you can't really get too hyped up compared to farmers of wsm, where as many as 6 athletes are racing each other as well as the clock.

StetecIcon...17-03-2012 @ 18:04 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Post Edited: 17.03.2012 @ 18:05 PM by Stetec
Yeah there are quite a few sports where folk are 'on their own' don't think motor sport is a good example though as there's plenty of things other drivers can do to influence the decisions you make and the vehicles can appeal to a mans primal instincts! But fair point. And running's never been a good spectator sport really has it?
fongIcon...17-03-2012 @ 19:05 
really really interesting
Member 3474, 2816 posts
SQ 170, BP 120, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
yeah, motor sport was a bad example, but other than that my point was kinda clear i guess Tongue

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions