Who's Online - 2 members and 150 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitStrongman training

Strongman training

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

bezaIconStrongman training04-02-2012 @ 20:52 
I hit a pb today with a chest infection
Member 3283, 1921 posts
Post Edited: 04.02.2012 @ 20:53 PM by beza
Hi all, fairly new to the sight, been browsing for a long time though.I'm after a little help finding a good detailed routine for strongman training if anyone could help me. I've got the basic's, for instance event training on a saturday, a lot of push and pull workout's rather than both together. I'm just trying to get an idea of what excercise's, set's, rep's and in what order per session.I'm struggling to find enough info on it, a trainer i know down the gym use to do strongman and has gave me a bit of a routine but not what i need to know properly, and hasn't got back to me since. Would really appreciate your help, thank's in advance.Happy
shortandmightyIcon...05-02-2012 @ 09:45 
Aiming for a 250 squat by the end of 2012
Member 1989, 3168 posts
SQ 240, BP 140, DL 270
650.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Take a look through the training logs on here and you will get a pretty good idea of where to start. The most important thing is to learn to listen to your body and find what works for you because every ones body works in different ways.
Good luck with your training.
bezaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 10:31 
Member 3283, 1921 posts
Cheer's mate, i have had a look through but given up to be honest after the first few page's lol as they're quite similar but yeh will look deeper into it, cheer's againWink
EagleIcon...05-02-2012 @ 11:54 
Member 1000, 125 posts
this thread should give you some ideas mate:
http://sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/How-do-you-train???-12672

From what I've seen the general template used for strongman is

3 gym days:
Squat + assistance
Press + assistance
Dead + assistance

and then an events day.
VanillaGorillaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 11:59 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
beza said:Cheer's mate, i have had a look through but given up to be honest after the first few page's lol as they're quite similar.

Yet this didn't answer your question?
bezaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 13:09 
Member 3283, 1921 posts
Eagle said:this thread should give you some ideas mate:
http://sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/How-do-you-train???-12672

From what I've seen the general template used for strongman is

3 gym days:
Squat + assistance
Press + assistance
Dead + assistance

and then an events day.

Thankyou, will have a look now

Wink
bezaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 13:09 
Member 3283, 1921 posts
Post Edited: 05.02.2012 @ 13:11 PM by beza
Not properly VG,i didn't read every thread but by the title's of them they didn't sound like something that would tell you what i'm asking
shortandmightyIcon...05-02-2012 @ 13:20 
Aiming for a 250 squat by the end of 2012
Member 1989, 3168 posts
SQ 240, BP 140, DL 270
650.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
beza said:Cheer's mate, i have had a look through but given up to be honest after the first few page's lol as they're quite similar but yeh will look deeper into it, cheer's againWink

You will probably find that most peoples logs are similar because that is what works. At the level most people are at it's best not to try and get too deep and technical because there are so many different schools of thought. Stick to basics. Eat lots, sleep lots, pick up lots of heavy stuff many times.
VanillaGorillaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 14:29 
Member 1973, 7379 posts
shortandmighty said:
You will probably find that most peoples logs are similar because that is what works. At the level most people are at it's best not to try and get too deep and technical because there are so many different schools of thought. Stick to basics. Eat lots, sleep lots, pick up lots of heavy stuff many times.

Exactly my point. If they're all similar, shouldn't that tell you that's what works?
bezaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 16:28 
Member 3283, 1921 posts
Not saying they don't work mate, they're similar but still with difference's. I want to do a 4 day split for the time being and as i can't do any event training at the mo ( nowhere i know of by me that does it, wolverhampton) i'd like to train on mon/tue and thu/fri, but not sure what excercises would compromise the next day's performance, and how often i should repeat them through the week. I'm guessing somewhere along the line's of what i do monday repeat thursday and what i do tuesday repeat friday. Just would like a bit of help and input on what to do and in what order, never mind
VanillaGorillaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 16:33 
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Monday. Upper. Heavy push press, inckine bench volume. Rows.
Tuesday. Lower. Heavy deadlifts. Front squat volume. Glute/hip assistance.

Thurs. Upper. Heavy bench press. Strict press volume. Chins.
Friday. Lower. Heavy squats. SLDL/RDL volume. Calves and core.
VanillaGorillaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 16:39 
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Oh and speak to Chris Morgan ( fatter_tomorrow ) on here, his gym has some events kit, out the black country way, , Willenhall I think. Most guys have to travel a fair way to do evebts, but its worth it.

Leicester, Gloucester, Birmingham, Coventry all have gyms with strongman kit.
bezaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 17:02 
Member 3283, 1921 posts
VanillaGorilla said:Oh and speak to Chris Morgan ( fatter_tomorrow ) on here, his gym has some events kit, out the black country way, , Willenhall I think. Most guys have to travel a fair way to do evebts, but its worth it.

Leicester, Gloucester, Birmingham, Coventry all have gyms with strongman kit.

Thank's very much. I'm prepared to travel for thr event training, but it just so happen's wwillenhall is 5 min's up the road from me so i'll be getting in touch with him, thank's again, appreciate it
brownbearIcon...05-02-2012 @ 18:28 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
beza said:
Thank's very much. I'm prepared to travel for thr event training, but it just so happen's wwillenhall is 5 min's up the road from me so i'll be getting in touch with him, thank's again, appreciate it

Popeye's gym willenhall
bezaIcon...05-02-2012 @ 18:43 
Member 3283, 1921 posts
Cheer's brownbear.

Sorry to be a pain guy's but with the above workout VG has written what kind of set's rep's ratio should i be looking at? Thank's again

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitStrongman training
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions