3rd place Europes strongest man 2016 U90kg
Member 1239, 13275 posts
SQ 280, BP 155, DL 310
745.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Is doing both impossible ?
SteveIcon...01-02-2012 @ 08:49 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
General_ill said:Is doing both impossible ?

If you accept some of the arguements yes it is impossible to do both.

By trying to lift the baar as high as possible you are increasing the distance necessary to move to get under the bar making it slower.
CuddlesIcon...01-02-2012 @ 09:00 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
By trying to lift the baar as high as possible you are increasing the distance necessary to move to get under the bar making it slower.[/quote}

I muat be misunderstanding something here. Surely by the bar being higher at the point where the lifter starts to reverse his body movement, you actually have less distance to travel to get under it? The bar starts decending from a higher point and will move downwards with the same veolicty no matter where it starts to descend from, unless the lifter has noticeably come off the floor then he must have less distance to travel?

I am of course assuming that the lifter will get to at least upright with either method.
SteveIcon...01-02-2012 @ 09:34 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:
Steve said:
By trying to lift the baar as high as possible you are increasing the distance necessary to move to get under the bar making it slower.[/quote}
I muat be misunderstanding something here. Surely by the bar being higher at the point where the lifter starts to reverse his body movement, you actually have less distance to travel to get under it? The bar starts decending from a higher point and will move downwards with the same veolicty no matter where it starts to descend from, unless the lifter has noticeably come off the floor then he must have less distance to travel?
I am of course assuming that the lifter will get to at least upright with either method.

Assuming you receive the bar in the full squat position then the higher the bar is pulled, the further it has to come down. If you receive the bar at a higher position then what you suggest could be true, however you would have already pulled the bar higher than necessary. The best weightlifters pull the bar the minimum distance possible which allows them to get under the weight.
slimsimIcon...01-02-2012 @ 10:52 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Surely though if a weightlifter is able to pull the bar higher than the absolutely minimum necessary to get under the bar then it is not their true maximum weight?

After all there is the saying that a clean (and snatch for that matter) is just a failed power clean.
SteveIcon...01-02-2012 @ 11:00 
Member 255, 3732 posts
If you don't go onto your toes and use the shrug to pull yourself under the bar, as opposed to pulling the bar up, then you decrease the time it takes to get under the bar therefore decreasing the minimum height it is necessary to lift it too or so it is claimed by some.
slimsimIcon...01-02-2012 @ 11:13 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Steve said:If you don't go onto your toes and use the shrug to pull yourself under the bar, as opposed to pulling the bar up, then you decrease the time it takes to get under the bar therefore decreasing the minimum height it is necessary to lift it too or so it is claimed by some.

Ahhh, I get you! I thought it was being suggested that some lifters would almost purposely cut their 2nd pull short as soon as the required bar height was attained.

TBH, I fall into the camp that feel it's not necessary to try and extend up on the toes to complete the pulling phase. I think a lifter will always natural rise onto their toes to a degree just due to inertia therefore to try and increase this to a maximum extension simply isn't worth the extra effort. I don't even really think a big shrug at the top of the pull is necessary. Focus on driving through the legs and hips and just let the smaller muscles do what they do automatically.

Maybe that's why I was always crap?! Unhappy

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions