Who's Online - 0 members and 217 guests

Leg Press in Powerlifting Discussion

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JoniIcon...20-09-2006 @ 12:29 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
it is s**te because there is no good reason to dismiss something so strongly when the supporting evidence is shaky both ways. So while i wont run in defence of something like leg press, i can see why LGB chooses to do them, and hence the vague words like can't hurt etc.

Thats why it is called art and not science Wink
Emperor_NaseemIcon...20-09-2006 @ 12:29 
As seen on t-nation
Member 8, 192 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 220
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Originally posted by littlegirlbunny...
Secondly Addd, you might have been seeing more gains just because you were doing more volume. There is nothing to say that you couldn't have got better results doing a different leg exercise, like a few more sets of a squat variation.

I disagree - my core gets tired way before my legs when im squatting. Therefore I start to fold under the bar easily and that is an injury risk. Plus, my back is still quite weak and prone to easily being overtrained by exercises such as the squat and deadlift. Thus leg press works my leg strength without the increased risk of injury which comes from squat variations. (especially when you are as uncoordinated as I am)

I believe that a person should work on their weaknesses in assistance exercises. SO, if your core is the limiting factor here, why are you going to leg presses which takes your weak point out of the equation. That is ignoring your weak point and not strengthening it. So when you go back to your squat, your weaknesses have not been strenghthened and you are even more likely to get injured.

If your core is weak therefore you need to be doing heavy lower back exercises, ab and oblique work, not leg presses. They aren't the answer.
Emperor_NaseemIcon...20-09-2006 @ 12:32 
As seen on t-nation
Member 8, 192 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 220
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Originally posted by JDVeganMofo...
it is s**te because there is no good reason to dismiss something so strongly when the supporting evidence is shaky both ways. So while i wont run in defence of something like leg press, i can see why LGB chooses to do them, and hence the vague words like can't hurt etc.

Thats why it is called art and not science Wink

Joni you are foolish!!! Powerlifting is all about science!!!!! It rests on the scientific principles of biomechanics, physics, nutrition, etc. True there is the law of individual differences which will dictate to some extent the differences between our individual training methodologies, but the process of finding out what is best for you is a process of science - trial and error - test a hypothesis, if it fails, change it and re-test. If it works, try and make it work better. This is the approach the Soviets used to use and was the reason they were so successful with all their atheletes across all sports.
littlegirlbunnyIcon...20-09-2006 @ 12:41 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
I believe that a person should work on their weaknesses in assistance exercises. SO, if your core is the limiting factor here, why are you going to leg presses which takes your weak point out of the equation. That is ignoring your weak point and not strengthening it. So when you go back to your squat, your weaknesses have not been strenghthened and you are even more likely to get injured.

If your core is weak therefore you need to be doing heavy lower back exercises, ab and oblique work, not leg presses. They aren't the answer.

But I am working on my core as well - I would never ignore my weak point in preference to training what I am best at. That would clearly be stupid. However, unless someone can give me a good reason, I see no problem with continuing to strengthen my legs to the best of their capabilities as well.
CuddlesIcon...20-09-2006 @ 12:48 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Finally, some proper discussion...

A few points about the leg-press:

- Ive used it successfully to build quad strength for both the deadlift and the squat.

- Everybody that I know who has done them consistently has gained quad strength for both the deadlift and the squat.

- Some of the best powerlifters/strongman around rate the leg-press as a good assistance exercise becuase it has a number of advantages, it doesnt faituge the lower back, it doesnt fatigue the abs, the skill level required is low so that its perfectly feasible to work hard at leg-press when you're already tired, something I certainly wouldnt recommend for squats/deadlifts/goodmornings/sldls, the risk of injury is just too great.

To discount the leg-press would be a mistake, if you dont like it/dont get much out of it, then fine, but lots of people do, and lots of very good lifters do. Faz for example, who would most likely be pound for pound the best lifter here raves about the leg-press for both squats and deadlifts. He has used them to great success, is he wrong? of course not, but your mileage may vary.
Emperor_NaseemIcon...20-09-2006 @ 15:08 
As seen on t-nation
Member 8, 192 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 220
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Olly...
Finally, some proper discussion...

A few points about the leg-press:

- Ive used it successfully to build quad strength for both the deadlift and the squat.

- Everybody that I know who has done them consistently has gained quad strength for both the deadlift and the squat.

- Some of the best powerlifters/strongman around rate the leg-press as a good assistance exercise becuase it has a number of advantages, it doesnt faituge the lower back, it doesnt fatigue the abs, the skill level required is low so that its perfectly feasible to work hard at leg-press when you're already tired, something I certainly wouldnt recommend for squats/deadlifts/goodmornings/sldls, the risk of injury is just too great.

To discount the leg-press would be a mistake, if you dont like it/dont get much out of it, then fine, but lots of people do, and lots of very good lifters do. Faz for example, who would most likely be pound for pound the best lifter here raves about the leg-press for both squats and deadlifts. He has used them to great success, is he wrong? of course not, but your mileage may vary.

Olly.

You say you have used it to build quad strength for both the deadlift and the squat. What I am trying to point out is that there may be better ways of gaining this strength.

When you refer to powerlifters and strongmen you are talking about two different sports. For example, some of the strongmen events, don't know there technical names (where they squat up a car using some lever, etc), you are pushing in 2 dimensions, similar to when you would be using a leg press or machine. In powerlifting, when you squat or deadlift, the movement is 3 dimensional, and is therefore different. I am making no reference to strongman events in this discussion.

And for the record, the discussion before was 'proper'. I don't see how what you have just said is any more 'proper' than things that have been said previously.
CuddlesIcon...20-09-2006 @ 15:52 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Haris, stop being a c**t. Firstly, delete the word strongman from my post and the point is still EXACTLY the same. Secondly, i'll point out that I was referring to the whole thread as proper discussion, not my post. I was referring to the fact that this was the first real training discussion on the board.

Also, I'm still not sure that you'll find a better exercise than the legpress that strengthens the quads without taxing the lower back? If you know of any, please feel free to post them? I can think of lunges, bulgarian split squats and a few others but neither of those will get you using any meaningful weight, and in my opinion, the carryover to the deadlift and squat will be far less than with legpress.
CuddlesIcon...20-09-2006 @ 16:08 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Originally posted by Emperor_Naseem...
I am making no reference to strongman events in this discussion.

For the record, nor did I. I made reference to strongmen, who incidentlly tend to have fairly good deadlifts eg Benni Magnusson, Svend Karlson, Juoko Ahola (probalby one of the best deadlifters lb for lb ever), Glenn Ross, Zydrunas Savickas, Mark Felix.
Emperor_NaseemIcon...20-09-2006 @ 16:15 
As seen on t-nation
Member 8, 192 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 220
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Olly...
Haris, stop being a c**t. Firstly, delete the word strongman from my post and the point is still EXACTLY the same. Secondly, i'll point out that I was referring to the whole thread as proper discussion, not my post. I was referring to the fact that this was the first real training discussion on the board.

Also, I'm still not sure that you'll find a better exercise than the legpress that strengthens the quads without taxing the lower back? If you know of any, please feel free to post them? I can think of lunges, bulgarian split squats and a few others but neither of those will get you using any meaningful weight, and in my opinion, the carryover to the deadlift and squat will be far less than with legpress.

Olly, I'm not being a c**t, you were the one who used the word strongman in your post so I responded appropriately. Don't blame me for a word you used.

If you were referring to the entire post and not your post then that point is fair enough.

Why would you want an exercise that strengthens the quads without "taxing the lower back." What is wrong with taxing the lower back? If your lower back is weak, get it stronger. Many coaches will argue that the weak link in the chain commonly is one's lower back for the squat. It can never be too strong.

And also I don't put a lot of emphasis on developing quad strength separately anyway, because often the quads aren't the problem area, and if they are, squat variations will hit them hard enough.
CuddlesIcon...20-09-2006 @ 16:26 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I think having exercises that work the quads without taxing the lower back are essential to get enough volume. The lower back, IMO, is easily overworked, and having the option to work some of the movers in both the squat and deadlift without overtaxing the lower back is an option worth having. I'd never suggest using a leg press instead of a squat or a deadlift, but as an accessory to them, I think they can have value.

Without wishing to be pedantic, I used the word strongmen, not strongman. There is quite a difference in meaning. I was referring to the group of people who together encompass a lot of the best deadlifters in the world, not the sport itself.
AdamIcon...20-09-2006 @ 16:29 
Gone squatting
Member 12, 386 posts
SQ 250, BP 155, DL 260
665.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Not everybody wants to hit their lower back hard twice a week, quite often it leads to injuries, (coincidentally LGB is just coming back from a lower back injury). You can argue that the back needs to be stronger, but you also need to be aware of overtraining. If you want an exercise that targets both the quads and hams, leg press is a good option.

The fact is a lot well known powerlifters have used leg press as an assistance exercise to great effect for both squats and deads, who are you to say that leg press isn't a good exercise.
Emperor_NaseemIcon...20-09-2006 @ 16:34 
As seen on t-nation
Member 8, 192 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 220
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Adam...
Not everybody wants to hit their lower back hard twice a week, quite often it leads to injuries, (coincidentally LGB is just coming back from a lower back injury). You can argue that the back needs to be stronger, but you also need to be aware of overtraining. If you want an exercise that targets both the quads and hams, leg press is a good option.

The fact is a lot well known powerlifters have used leg press as an assistance exercise to great effect for both squats and deads, who are you to say that leg press isn't a good exercise.

"who are you to say that leg press isn't a good exercise."

Firstly I am a human being capable of reason and logic, so I am taking part in a discussion.

Secondly, like I mentioned earlier, it is a case of good, better and best.

Thirdly, don't become obsessive about the concept of a week. Your musculoskeletal system doesn't follow a 7 day clock. Have a training week of 8 or 9 days if you have to, and hit your lower back every 4 days - this is one option - tailor it to meet your needs.
littlegirlbunnyIcon...20-09-2006 @ 16:34 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
I think having exercises that work the quads without taxing the lower back are essential to get enough volume. The lower back, IMO, is easily overworked, and having the option to work some of the movers in both the squat and deadlift without overtaxing the lower back is an option worth having. I'd never suggest using a leg press instead of a squat or a deadlift, but as an accessory to them, I think they can have value.

Yeah, I agree with both the above.
AdamIcon...20-09-2006 @ 16:42 
Gone squatting
Member 12, 386 posts
SQ 250, BP 155, DL 260
665.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
I'm not questioning your ability to have an opinion, but if someone who is significantly stronger than you uses a particular exercise that improves there squat or deadlift, why would you say that this is not a good exercise? What is it about yourself that makes you correct?

There is a difference between stating your opinion (which you are perfectly entitled to do) and telling someone that an exercise is crap and not worth doing without giving any reason for it, other than you don't think the exercise is worth doing.
Emperor_NaseemIcon...20-09-2006 @ 16:43 
As seen on t-nation
Member 8, 192 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 220
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Adam...

And also Ad, if Joe is coming back from a lower back injury, the leg press is not necessarily the best thing for it. It doesn't take all the strain off the lower back area at all. Better alternatives are split squat and step up variations in which the trunk is kept vertical.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions