VBT Guide

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

AMH_PowerIconVBT Guide11-09-2021 @ 23:08 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 12.09.2021 @ 09:59 AM by AMH_Power
If anyone is looking to get into VBT but wouldn't know where to start, I've wrote a mini-guide / one stop shop for building a velocity profile and giving examples of how to totally autoregulate load, sets, reps and fatigue %. The autoregulation requires a velocity meter, but tracking performance can all be done retrospectively purely from video (and a one time use of a tape measure to get your ROM).

Please feel free to share...

I'm taking on more of a coaching role at the minute as I sadly suffered a stroke due to covid trashing my left vertebral artery in my neck; leaving me with a f**ked cerebrellum and medula. So, for the next 6 months other lifters are my priority. I'll then be back stronger than ever. Using the methods in the spreadsheet, I got up to a 242.5 bench and got 250 half way! I doubled a 310 squat @RPE9, and did 6x6x270kg deadlift. I can't stress enough how effective VBT is when employed properly. It's sad to see some people using it purely for tracking purposes... this is crazy.

Anyway, I hope this helps others as much as it has (and will) myself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wm6tRkKmb-q1OTEFxQIHIB4AVw--URBQ/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105250859069022658005&rtpof=true&sd=true
AMH_PowerIcon...11-09-2021 @ 23:10 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
ps. All you need to do is fill in the green bits. The table lower down will auto populate. I wrote the spreadsheet so people actually understand wtf is going on, instead of some magical auto generator that people blindly follow.

I've left ALL the formulas open and explained how/why. This will allow coaches to rip parts and make their own format etc.
danbaseleyIcon...12-09-2021 @ 07:41 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4475 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Thanks for this - especially the bit on how to actually measure the bar speed.

Happy
AMH_PowerIcon...12-09-2021 @ 09:56 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
danbaseley said:Thanks for this - especially the bit on how to actually measure the bar speed.

Happy

Thanks mate!

Even without a velocity meter, it can all be done retrospectively, then on future sessions you can simply record your heaviest set, calculate velocity (and as such get your true % of what the weight is)... so you know your exact 1RM for that day. Great for tracking.

Or.. you can use the open source scientific software called 'tracker', you can use this to calculate velocity from a video mega accurately. When comparing it to my Flex velocity sensor which uses lasers, its within 0.01m/s of it!

I'll make a video some point to show how to use it
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...12-09-2021 @ 10:01 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22044 posts
Really sorry to hear about your health issues Aaron. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.
jtIcon...12-09-2021 @ 10:17 
old age traveller
Member 332, 7865 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Really sorry to hear about your health issues Aaron. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

What he said.
AMH_PowerIcon...12-09-2021 @ 10:32 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Really sorry to hear about your health issues Aaron. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Sympathy didn't help anyone mate but I appreciate your kind words! Just a bit frustrating as I can deal with the stroke no drama, it's the dissection which can take up to 6 month to fully repair which means no straining etc.

So it's not even a physical limitation (well, my balance is a bit f**ked and one side of my body can't feel temperature, so it feels like permanent frost bite). But other than this I'm keen to lift heavy, I just don't want to go for my follow scan to be told its not healed and have to have another 6 month out after surgery as that would be the solution if it doesn't auto resolve.

Side note, just from what I saw in ICU and the COVID ward in hospital; the virus didn't seem to give a s**t about vaccine status in young people. The majority of people on the ward was within +/-10 years of me. The majority in there was vaccinated (I was the only one in the communal room that wasn't). Scary stuff.

Anyway, we ride at dawn. I've still got a 900+ to get
EDCLARKEIcon...12-09-2021 @ 18:22 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10986 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
thanks for this very interesting , and best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to lifting.
AMH_PowerIcon...13-09-2021 @ 09:18 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
EDCLARKE said:thanks for this very interesting , and best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to lifting.

Thanks mate!
slimsimIcon...13-09-2021 @ 15:05 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
The fact you are wanting to help people when you've suffered this physical trauma is a testament to the type of guy you are mate!! Keep recovering!
AMH_PowerIcon...16-09-2021 @ 13:02 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 16.09.2021 @ 13:04 PM by AMH_Power
I've started to make my own velocity sensor which uses LIDAR (basically like RADAR, but Lasers instead of radio waves).
It's already fully functional, and rivals the accuracy of my Flex sensor (1000hz polling vs. the flexes 50hz). They are always within 0.01m of each other (I dare say this discrepancy is from the lockout height of left vs right side of the bar!).

It's accurate to 2mm within 4m.

It's currently only on a breadboard and using an Arduino Uno for processing. The final product is going on an Arduino Nano V3 (lower power consumption), will have a li-po battery (will take 10 hours to charge, but will only need charging every 1000 hours!).

I've had a quote for making a milled aluminium case with thick gorilla glass to make the thing bullet proof. It has no buttons beyond on/off, I want it simple as s**t (and cheap!)

I'm keen to get a laser accurate (literally) to lifters for under 120 quid.

Here's the prototype showing behaviour/code:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uGIvJAQ9iIWkHXAk0bsFgGVOE59BcMGt/view?usp=sharing

The last few days of learning has been STEEP. But it will be worth it in the end!

Keen for suggestions...

ps. If anyone is wondering, it sits on the floor, builds up a 3D image of everything above it, and then uses the lowest point of the image as the reference (will always be the bottom of the disc or the bar in absence of the disc). The sensor has a 25 degree field of view; so its very accurate even in the presence of lateral(x/y) movement of the bar despite tracking z.
BigMaccaIcon...16-09-2021 @ 18:38 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:I've started to make my own velocity sensor which uses LIDAR (basically like RADAR, but Lasers instead of radio waves).
It's already fully functional, and rivals the accuracy of my Flex sensor (1000hz polling vs. the flexes 50hz). They are always within 0.01m of each other (I dare say this discrepancy is from the lockout height of left vs right side of the bar!).

It's currently only on a breadboard and using an Arduino Uno for processing. The final product is going on an Arduino Nano V3 (lower power consumption), will have a li-po battery (will take 10 hours to charge, but will only need charging every 1000 hours!).

I've had a quote for making a milled aluminium case with thick gorilla glass to make the thing bullet proof. It has no buttons beyond on/off, I want it simple as s**t (and cheap!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uGIvJAQ9iIWkHXAk0bsFgGVOE59BcMGt/view?usp=sharing

The last few days of learning has been STEEP. But it will be worth it in the end!

Keen for suggestions...

ps. If anyone is wondering, it sits on the floor, builds up a 3D image of everything above it, and then uses the lowest point of the image as the reference (will always be the bottom of the disc or the bar in absence of the disc). The sensor has a 25 degree field of view; so its very accurate even in the presence of lateral(x/y) movement of the bar despite tracking z.

That looks awesome dude!

For £120, you can put me down for one!
AMH_PowerIcon...16-09-2021 @ 18:56 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:
That looks awesome dude!
For £120, you can put me down for one!

on it!
HenkIcon...19-09-2021 @ 20:49 
Member 5095, 783 posts
SQ 200, BP 162.5, DL 220
582.5 kgs @ 119kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.09.2021 @ 20:50 PM by Henk
AMH_Power said:I've started to make my own velocity sensor which uses LIDAR (basically like RADAR, but Lasers instead of radio waves).

Keen for suggestions...

Very nice Aaron.

I bought a Texas Instruments BLE sensortag (£20) a while ago that contained an accelerometer and gyroscope amongst other sensors - my aim was to attach it to the bar and transmit the movement data to a phone app for immediate analysis (velocity, bar path etc).

I guess as you have a 3D image you can do bar path too.

Are you intending transmitting the data to an app?
AMH_PowerIcon...19-09-2021 @ 22:57 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Henk said:
Very nice Aaron.
I bought a Texas Instruments BLE sensortag (£20) a while ago that contained an accelerometer and gyroscope amongst other sensors - my aim was to attach it to the bar and transmit the movement data to a phone app for immediate analysis (velocity, bar path etc).
I guess as you have a 3D image you can do bar path too.
Are you intending transmitting the data to an app?

Potentially! This would negate the need for the secondary display unit. It would just be the lidar.

With regards to accelerometers, unless you aren't accelerating it doesn't know displacement; you could accelerate up to 1ms, carry this on for a mile, and until you decelerate it wouldn't know!
You have to use integration to work out the area under the curve, but sadly isn't too accurate. I went down this route... Basically unless you are over 97% accuracy, the whole concept becomes moot.

But yeah, defo keen to look at the app side, you familiar with the API? Would you want the raw captures then do the processing of the data on the receiving device, or would you want to receive the processed data already? The pro to the former is not needing a powerful microcontroller... Would bring price down more and battery life up!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions