Who's Online - 0 members and 143 guests

A Gift... Free Gains For All... TRIR-2.0

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

AMH_PowerIconA Gift... Free Gains For All... TRIR-2.002-07-2019 @ 17:41 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Just though I'd share a system I developed with advanced tracking to allow fine tuning of the system for future runs. It's free and will yield great results, and can be used off season. It's not a peaking plan, but it does allow for heavy lifting every 4th week.

The basic micro is mon/wed/fri and then optional accessory work saturday.

Enter.... TRIR (Target Reps In Reserve)

Why TRIR?
Because biology doesn't give a s**t how you feel. In fact, as part of the adaptation process, your body will make things feel harder than they actually are, so why would you allow you body to tell you to NOT go heavier when it may be needed?

TRIR circumvents the biggest flaw with classic RPE, and allows effort to dictate the volume and not the intensity (especially given that volume is the amplifier of the training effect, but the intensity IS the training effect).

So what does it look like?

Simple. Its a FIXED load (for example 200kg), with a TRIR value.
So 200kg TRIR 2, is simply repping 200kg until there is about 2 reps in reserve... in which you'll rack the weight. I don't think this is a new system, but its not one that seems to be used much due to programming complexity... which is where this comes in.

So...

(cont).
AMH_PowerIcon...02-07-2019 @ 17:49 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
The system is pretty clear cut. It's a month long, 4 sheets (1 per week).

1. Enter you current maxes at the top of each sheet.
2. Follow the program.
3. After each session, Log the reps achieved on each set.
4. After each session, Log the weight on accessory work.

Now...

You'll notice all the graphs plot themselves on the right hand side.

You'll get a break down of the days performance, and even the set performance.

Why is this important???

Because if each set is just as good, you can afford to ramp up the difficulty on the next time round, their should be some slight decay on each set.
If there's rapid decay in performance... you've got some conditioning to do!

Now, the most important variables are at the bottom right. These are the weekly summaries.

It accurately gives you a MINIMUM capability based on your BEST set of the week (irrespective of what day, weight or reps was done). It works.

If this value is ever greater than the entries you used in step 1... revise the following week.

It's perpetual. There's potential for this system to serve for many many many years providing:

1. Correct variants are used
2. You USE THE DATA on the right to tune it to yourself
3. Accessory work on saturday addresses weakness/imbalances/prehab.
4. You acknowledge it's not peaking... its foundational.

Any way, I await an onslaught of questions.

It was made in the latest iteration of Excel, and uses some advanced HLookups and other s**t, so don't come at me if your iPotato 3s doesn't make sense with it.

I've uploaded it to dropbox but please feel free to share/redistribute, just don't take my email off it as I'd like to keep some custom:

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jg5agct5yz8lcz/TRIR%202.0%20-%20AMH.xlsx...
JackRevansIcon...03-07-2019 @ 12:24 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
This is a beautifully constructed spreadsheet
AMH_PowerIcon...03-07-2019 @ 13:06 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:This is a beautifully constructed spreadsheet

Thank you mate haha.
You wouldn't be saying that if you found all the reference tables and formulas hidden somewhere random like cells Z98763:XK4567
JackRevansIcon...03-07-2019 @ 13:53 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
Thank you mate haha.
You wouldn't be saying that if you found all the reference tables and formulas hidden somewhere random like cells Z98763:XK4567

I did actually unhide a few columns but not as far to the right as z.

I normally would be far more interested in the actual training program than the spreadsheet but I recently started an online Excel course to try and get better at it to make my job a little bit less dead end. You're way more advanced than I am!
slimsimIcon...03-07-2019 @ 14:14 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
How important is the 2 TRIR parameter? For example, is someone typically overestimates what they can do and thinks they are stopping at 2TRIR but in reality it's 1TRIR does that cause a big issue?

The spreadsheet looks absolutely great!
AMH_PowerIcon...03-07-2019 @ 14:47 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
slimsim said:How important is the 2 TRIR parameter? For example, is someone typically overestimates what they can do and thinks they are stopping at 2TRIR but in reality it's 1TRIR does that cause a big issue?

The spreadsheet looks absolutely great!

Not that important mate, it will just give a more accurate predicted 1rm.

Because all the main work is TRIR, if you over do it, you'll naturally have larger peaks and troughs within the system so it will balance out.

Also worth pointing out that recent studies (collectively speaking over many cohorts and peer reviewed journals) are showing that tonnage to calculate volume isn't as accurate as total challenging sets.

Volume is good to compare work like for like and general wear/tear, but to gauge fatigue predictions total challenging sets is the way to go.

Or spend 30 quid on a Dynameter and use it in a morning to gauge CNS. No guess work then!
unit94Icon...03-07-2019 @ 20:10 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10430 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
I'll have a look at this it sounds interesting, I have also never put much stock into tonnage for a session
AMH_PowerIcon...03-07-2019 @ 20:37 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 03.07.2019 @ 20:38 PM by AMH_Power
I forgot to mention how the meso cycle is laid out:

Week 1:
Moderate volume, moderate intensity. This is baseline development and all minor adaptations realised/recovered by the start of week 2.

Week 2:
High volume, moderate intensity. This is a hard week that incurs a large recovery demand (but also the largest adaptation). Recovery demand will leak into week 3.

Week 3:
Moderate volume, low intensity. Full recovery and adaptations occur from week 2 in this week. Velocity should be higher and any minor speed loss from previous sessions reinstated. By week 4, everything will be 'fresh'.

Week 4:
Low volume, high intensity. Learning to express adaptations developed over the other 3 weeks. Basically a heavy week with, but recovery is short due to low volume, allowing you to start at week 1 again fresh.

In summary, week 1 is base, but the final 3 weeks, volume linear declines H-M-L, where weight on the bar is M-L-H; allowing for the greatest expression of force on week 4.
1369philIcon...05-07-2019 @ 07:13 
doesnt work hard enough in the gym
Member 1492, 2138 posts
SQ 170, BP 145, DL 195
510.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Aaron

I would have messaged you but someone else might benefit from my stupidity (it's a long term life goal that has yet to pay dividends)

Would a Mon/Tues/Thur/Fri set up be ok?

Would stiff legs be ok instead of good mornings?

Would a SSB offer anything for the paused squat day? (I'm thinking of my shoulders mostly)
AMH_PowerIcon...05-07-2019 @ 07:32 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
1369phil said:Aaron

I would have messaged you but someone else might benefit from my stupidity (it's a long term life goal that has yet to pay dividends)

Would a Mon/Tues/Thur/Fri set up be ok?

Would stiff legs be ok instead of good mornings?

Would a SSB offer anything for the paused squat day? (I'm thinking of my shoulders mostly)

Absolutely mate. It's a template, it's designed for exercise substitution. Ideally even components.

The loading pattern should stay though, and where there are standard comp lifts these should ideally stay too.

That split is also fine.
uzaladIcon...05-07-2019 @ 19:12 
not hilarious
Member 1977, 159 posts
SQ 150, BP 1, DL 215
366.0 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
First of all, this spreadsheet is great, thanks for posting it. I'm the go-to person in my office for creating dashboards, manipulating data etc and this is something I'd be proud of.

Now to completely bas***dise your beautiful ideas -

My training has completely lacked direction lately so I think I'm going to try the ideas in this programme but I might have to do it across 6 training days rather than the 3-4 and spreading it across about 9 to 10 days for each "WEEK" because I like to be in and out of the gym within an hour and more significantly because I'm almost certain my body cannot handle benching 3 times a week.

Just off the top of my head something like this:
1. Squats, hamstrings, back
2. Bench, shoulders
REST
3. Squat, quads, abs
4. Bench, triceps
TEST
5. Squat, deadlift, rear delts
6. Bench, biceps, abs (absolute BRO day)

If I figure out the formulas and create a new sheet I'll make sure to send it across via email.

Let me know your thoughts on splitting the days up, I think it would be interesting to hear your perspective given your experience with the methods you've put down in the spreadsheet and because you're obviously very experienced as a strength athlete.
AMH_PowerIcon...05-07-2019 @ 20:10 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 05.07.2019 @ 20:11 PM by AMH_Power
uzalad said:First of all, this spreadsheet is great, thanks for posting it. I'm the go-to person in my office for creating dashboards, manipulating data etc and this is something I'd be proud of.

Now to completely bas***dise your beautiful ideas -

My training has completely lacked direction lately so I think I'm going to try the ideas in this programme but I might have to do it across 6 training days rather than the 3-4 and spreading it across about 9 to 10 days for each "WEEK" because I like to be in and out of the gym within an hour and more significantly because I'm almost certain my body cannot handle benching 3 times a week.

Just off the top of my head something like this:
1. Squats, hamstrings, back
2. Bench, shoulders
REST
3. Squat, quads, abs
4. Bench, triceps
TEST
5. Squat, deadlift, rear delts
6. Bench, biceps, abs (absolute BRO day)

If I figure out the formulas and create a new sheet I'll make sure to send it across via email.

Let me know your thoughts on splitting the days up, I think it would be interesting to hear your perspective given your experience with the methods you've put down in the spreadsheet and because you're obviously very experienced as a strength athlete.

A 10 day micro is what I would call optimal, it's superior to a 7 day week.

If you can follow how this is laid out, it will satisfy some serious OCD, AND achieve what you want.... in that:

Lower always follows: squat, dead, squat, dead.
Upper always follows: variant, bench, variant, bench.
In the 10 day block there are 2 sessions for each of the 4 lifts. One session is moderate, the other is heavy.
A heavy day warrants 72 hours rest off upper or lower respectively.
A moderate day warrants a 48 hour rest off upper/lower respecitvely.

Using the rules above, this is the 10 day micro (which is THE micro I used to hit my 820 total at the british championships):

Day1: Heavy Squat/Moderate Bench
Day2: Off
Day3: Heavy PushVariant
Day4: Moderate Deadlift
Day5: Off
Day6: Heavy Bench/Moderate Squat
Day7: Off
Day8: Heavy Deadlift
Day9: Moderate Push Variant
Day10: Off

Again, it looks chaotic, but if you break it down with the rules above its f**king awesome. Every session feels epic.

Now, you could use the TRIR principles and the loading pattern with this. I would do it like this:

week1 (med int/med vol):
heavy session = 4 sets, at 85% intensity. TRIR of 2
medium session = 4 sets, at 80% intensity. TRIR of 3

Week2 (med int/high vol)
heavy session = 5 sets, at 85% intensity. TRIR of 2
medium session = 5 sets, at 80% intensity. TRIR of 3

Week3 (low int/med vol)
heavy session = 4 sets, at 75% intensity. TRIR of 3
medium session = 4 sets, at 80% intensity. TRIR of 3

Week4 (high int/low vol)
heavy session = 3 sets, at 90% intensity. TRIR of 1-2
medium session = 3 sets, at 80% intensity. TRIR of 3

I would insert the relevant 'bro' stuff with the relevant days. On double days where squat and bench are done together, I wouldn't bother if time is a factor. But on days where you only do one exercise, that is the day to do your extra work focused around the elements of that lift.

As a 'bro' lifter, these will be isolation movements with 3-4 sets at 6-12 reps.
Strength athletes would do some more compound work here or plyometrics/shock training towards a meet to improve rate of force development.

Hope this answers your question mate. But in summary, 10 day cycle is optimal.
uzaladIcon...06-07-2019 @ 17:25 
not hilarious
Member 1977, 159 posts
SQ 150, BP 1, DL 215
366.0 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Thanks for the detailed response, that answers a lot in regards to programming! With TRIR I guess it's just experience gained over time as to when to end the set so I'll get practicing with that. For the last few months or so I've followed very little in terms of programming/progression although I've linked together some consistent months of lifting now so this gives me some direction. My starting numbers will be something like 5 to 10kg lower than I am certain I can lift, obviously this will adjust in the 2nd micro once I've actually proven it through doing the reps in each exercise. Thanks again.
danbaseleyIcon...07-07-2019 @ 07:18 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Looks amazing.

Happy

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions