Who's Online - 0 members and 233 guests

DOH Deadlift Question

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JackRevansIconDOH Deadlift Question14-01-2019 @ 10:46 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
I have recently begun relearning the conventional deadlift after having about 6 or 7 years of pulling exclusively sumo due to some lower back injuries. I am starting off really quite cautiously and with a lot of emphasis on technique so I am starting off with really quite low weight. Since the weight is low, I have been doing quite a lot of the sets double over hand.

My question is as follows. Could deadlifting double overhand hinder strength gains? It obviously seems like a good way of developing a better grip but with grip being a limiting factor it means that a lot of my work sets now consist of me deadlifting a light weight not very quickly, and I have been told that you should always deadlift every weight as quickly as possible.

Basically its a trade off between grip gains and speed off the floor gains. Or perhaps a seasoned strength athlete can tell kindly tell me otherwise?
slimsimIcon...14-01-2019 @ 13:27 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:I have recently begun relearning the conventional deadlift after having about 6 or 7 years of pulling exclusively sumo due to some lower back injuries. I am starting off really quite cautiously and with a lot of emphasis on technique so I am starting off with really quite low weight. Since the weight is low, I have been doing quite a lot of the sets double over hand.

My question is as follows. Could deadlifting double overhand hinder strength gains? It obviously seems like a good way of developing a better grip but with grip being a limiting factor it means that a lot of my work sets now consist of me deadlifting a light weight not very quickly, and I have been told that you should always deadlift every weight as quickly as possible.

Basically its a trade off between grip gains and speed off the floor gains. Or perhaps a seasoned strength athlete can tell kindly tell me otherwise?

Why not hook grip? That way you can pull fast and DOH.

I also suspect that if the deadlift is light then it's not particularly adding to your strength anyway, unless you're progressing building your volume up with this weight and then even so it's going to be building a foundation for future strength gains, NOT actually building the strength at this point.
JackRevansIcon...14-01-2019 @ 14:26 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
Why not hook grip? That way you can pull fast and DOH.
I also suspect that if the deadlift is light then it's not particularly adding to your strength anyway, unless you're progressing building your volume up with this weight and then even so it's going to be building a foundation for future strength gains, NOT actually building the strength at this point.

Im using an eleiko power bar and its a bit too thick for me to hook grip. Also my thumbs are important to me.
unit94Icon...14-01-2019 @ 17:52 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10432 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Hook grip won't work your grip much. If grip is limiting then do your warm ups double over, wear straps when needed and just add in some extra grip work, won't take too much doing
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...14-01-2019 @ 19:14 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
Good advice from unit.

Also, I personally don't think that every DL should necessarily be performed as fast as possible.
FatpeteIcon...15-01-2019 @ 07:18 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17816 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Also, I personally don't think that every DL should necessarily be performed as fast as possible.

Agreed. Fast on the way up, slooooooow on the way down.
JackRevansIcon...15-01-2019 @ 10:32 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Sorry you seem to be missing the point a little bit, the question isn't so much about improving grip or alternatives to DOH or anything like that. I'm wondering if pulling with double over hand (and therefore not being able to apply maximal power) is going to be detrimental to ones deadlift.
slimsimIcon...15-01-2019 @ 10:43 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:Sorry you seem to be missing the point a little bit, the question isn't so much about improving grip or alternatives to DOH or anything like that. I'm wondering if pulling with double over hand (and therefore not being able to apply maximal power) is going to be detrimental to ones deadlift.

That's why hook grip is the best option!!

Could you tape your thumbs to help? I've not got big hands but hook grip a 29mm bar. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that if taped but if the weights are fairly light, would it hurt that much anyway?

I think a lot of the scientific evidence does show that lifting a weight as fast as possible, even if that speed is slow due to its weight, is the most beneficial way of lifting (not disputing the lowering bit).
JackRevansIcon...15-01-2019 @ 10:46 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
That's why hook grip is the best option!!
Could you tape your thumbs to help? I've not got big hands but hook grip a 29mm bar. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that if taped but if the weights are fairly light, would it hurt that much anyway?
I think a lot of the scientific evidence does show that lifting a weight as fast as possible, even if that speed is slow due to its weight, is the most beneficial way of lifting (not disputing the lowering bit).

Hook grip isnt an option at all. I went through a phase of it and it made my thumbs lose feeling a bit, this isnt good considering i am a drummer. maybe good for someone who wants to put a thumb in their angus and pretend its someone else doing it to them.
mark_f1Icon...15-01-2019 @ 12:55 
not actually strong
Member 5779, 811 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 285
655.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
I always double overhand up to 180-200 in warm ups as its heavy enough to work grip, then switch to straps or mixed grip for my working sets.
AMH_PowerIcon...15-01-2019 @ 13:21 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:Sorry you seem to be missing the point a little bit, the question isn't so much about improving grip or alternatives to DOH or anything like that. I'm wondering if pulling with double over hand (and therefore not being able to apply maximal power) is going to be detrimental to ones deadlift.

If your DOH grip doesn't give up before your max over/under deadlift, then it won't hinder it as long as you aren't a 'tug' type puller.
If you can pull more with over/under then it will be detrimental to your DL development if you training DOH (with the exception of lighter rep work). It will improve grip though;
You could warm up double over hand then switch to over/under. Or, increase frequency of deadlift and have the lighter session dedicated to DOH.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...15-01-2019 @ 13:42 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
I believe Jack doesn't want to use a mixed grip because it makes his body feel twisted.

It'll have to be straps for heavier work. Can't see another option.
JackRevansIcon...15-01-2019 @ 14:19 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:I believe Jack doesn't want to use a mixed grip because it makes his body feel twisted.

It'll have to be straps for heavier work. Can't see another option.

This is exactly true. I believe that years of deadlifting with mixed grip is at least part of the reason why i now have mild scoliosis.

Basically what ive been doing is a few work sets with double over hand and then putting straps on (im not going to compete any time soon) for some slightly heavier doubles.

Im really just wondering if the sets Im doing with DOH are detrimental and if i should do them all with straps, or not.
JackRevansIcon...15-01-2019 @ 14:20 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Also thanks for the replies everyone Happy Happy Happy
slimsimIcon...15-01-2019 @ 14:40 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:
This is exactly true. I believe that years of deadlifting with mixed grip is at least part of the reason why i now have mild scoliosis.

What about mixed grip but alternating which hand is over/under on each set so as to avoid any imbalances? This is something I always do when using an alternating grip on deads.

Or, as Wayne suggests, sod it and just wear straps

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions