REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 201 guests

block periodisation - anyone use it?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

DeanW92Iconblock periodisation - anyone use it?19-01-2014 @ 12:37 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Im always interested to hear how everyone else trains and recently iv been doing some reading about block periodisation. Most of the programs you see on the internet use linear periodisation, e.g. wendlers 5/3/1 which is jst linear periodisation in short micro cycles.

Although alot of people on here will use programs like westside and 531, im wondering if anyone has used block periodisation as a basis for their training and what are your thoughts?
Alex76Icon...19-01-2014 @ 14:54 
Member 4975, 58 posts
Sheiko, Smolov and the Russian Squat Routine are forms of block periodisation.

I don’t think Issurin’s block periodisation, which I guess you're referring to, is all that applicable to powerlifting. It’s intended to be used in sports with much more complex and uncomplimentary training needs than powerlifting.

But, Mike Tuchscherer uses Issurin’s block periodisation principles in his training with quite a bit of success and his site is probably the best place to look for an idea of how to apply it to powerlifting.
DeanW92Icon...19-01-2014 @ 16:23 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Alex76 said:Sheiko, Smolov and the Russian Squat Routine are forms of block periodisation.

I don’t think Issurin’s block periodisation, which I guess you're referring to, is all that applicable to powerlifting. It’s intended to be used in sports with much more complex and uncomplimentary training needs than powerlifting.

But, Mike Tuchscherer uses Issurin’s block periodisation principles in his training with quite a bit of success and his site is probably the best place to look for an idea of how to apply it to powerlifting.

Yer i was reffering to issurin and one of the only advocates of this type of training that iv been able to find is mike tuscherer as you mentioned. And him along with others who follow his ideas seem to have succes, dont think you can find out enough without buying the book.

Didnt really think of smolov as a block periodization but i guess it does have accumulation and intensification with a deload in there, however throughout the intensity is quite high even during the volume phase. Never actually tried smolov but i might do in the future.
Alex76Icon...19-01-2014 @ 18:52 
Member 4975, 58 posts
Post Edited: 19.01.2014 @ 18:57 PM by Alex76
Mike’s seminar DVDs are more relevant to Issurin’s stuff. The RTS book recommends block periodisation but in the simpler form of volume and intensity blocks.

Block periodisation has been around for decades. I’m no expert but, from what I understand, the main difference with Issurin’s twist on block periodisation is that it takes into account the specific length of the residual effects of particular qualities trained.

The accumulation, intensification and realisation structure of Issurin’s block periodisation is basically just a peaking cycle. The residual effects of all the blocks are intended to meet at the end of realisation, when the athlete would compete.

It’s intended for sports were training is not always specific to the sport and/or uncomplimentary, so it needs to be separated out into concentrated blocks. But, as training for powerlifting only really involves hypertrophy, maximal strength and a small amount of skill development, all of which can be achieved using highly specific training, there’s not really much need to periodise training in that way.

The only circumstance where it might be is for someone very advanced, like Mike, where the volumes of training needed to drive adaptation in particular qualities are huge and so need to be separated.
Adam_FIcon...19-01-2014 @ 19:47 
conventional all the way !
Member 1980, 1201 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 137.5, DL 255
610.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Jeremy frey on elite runs his training on a block system. There are also a few decent articles on there on how it can be used for powerlifting.
IainKendrickIcon...19-01-2014 @ 19:56 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Yes in its simplest form as it relates to powerlifting eg volume or intensity.
DeanW92Icon...19-01-2014 @ 21:16 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Iv read all the articles on elitefts and one of them had an example of training for each phase. What interested me was the fact that there was a phase where the main lift takes a back seat with only technique work been done and then alot of volume work on accessories. Usually i go heavy on the main lift and then the rest of my session usually lacks volume, i feel that gaining some musclemass would help get my numbers moving again and going lighter on the main lifts would help.

My plan was to do 3 weeks volume, 3 weeeks intensity and keep Alternating between the two.
Alex76Icon...20-01-2014 @ 09:02 
Member 4975, 58 posts
Post Edited: 20.01.2014 @ 09:02 AM by Alex76
That’s exactly how Mike Tuchschere sets it out block training in the RTS manual, 3 week long volume and intensity blocks.

That example will have been concentrating on accessories in the first block because moving from general to specific training is one of the principles of Issurin’s block periodisation.

The accumulation block is the furthest from competition and so general training focusing on abilities with the longest residual effects are placed there (usually hypertrophy and aerobic endurance). According to Issurin, sport specific technique has much shorter residual effects so it is increasingly concentrated on in the second and third blocks.

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/ResidualTraining.html

But, again, this is intended for sports where much of the training does not relate specifically to the sport, such as weight training for a sprinter. All aspects of powerlifting can effectively be trained using highly specific training, so I don’t really see the benefit of that approach.

It seems very applicable to strongman training though, for example:

Accumulation: Maximal strength and aerobic endurance (general training with long residual effects)
Transformation: Strength endurance and event training (specific training with shorter residual effects)
Realisation: Event training (highly specific)
Adam_FIcon...20-01-2014 @ 09:16 
conventional all the way !
Member 1980, 1201 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 137.5, DL 255
610.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Actually, if I remember rightly - there is a decent log on t-nation - I think the user name is detzatoh - or something like that.

He uses block almost exclusively for his training - totals 720+ at 200lb BW - could be worth checking that out.
DeanW92Icon...20-01-2014 @ 19:14 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Thanks alex you have been very usefull. Going to try using a high volume with my accessories and increaae it each week and then jst one or two easy sets on the main lifts to keep technique there, especially while my back is not fully recovered.

Then il do 3 weeks of heavier weights and pushing the main lifts and back off on accessories and see how this goes.

Thanks adam, il have a search for it.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions