REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 303 guests
You are here: HomeForumAlex76 → View All Posts

View All Posts: Alex76

» Jon North - Cardiac Arrest (Go to post)02-10-2016 @ 20:53 
Post Edited: 02.10.2016 @ 20:53 PM by Alex76
scruffmcbuff said:
The argument used for how safe "Suppliments" are is "where are the bodys"
I do worry that the only reason there is none yet is because our generation and where the two generations cross over havent got old enough to suffer the effects yet.
Note: I am not implying anyone is doing anything illegal. merely expressing my fears for our sport.

I've never understood the 'where are the bodies?' argument because there are loads of bodybuilders and strength sportspeople who have dropped dead early.

In John North's case he, whether or not he used other supplements, he was training pretty much every day, sometime multiple times per day and using copious amounts of pre-workout every session. That can't be clever for heart health.
» Jon North - Cardiac Arrest (Go to post)02-10-2016 @ 18:57 
Post Edited: 02.10.2016 @ 18:58 PM by Alex76
Maybe the cause of his heart attack is hereditary or random, but I can't help but think either that this is just the tip of an iceberg of people f**king-up their hearts with constant use of pre-workouts... and other things.
» Safety squat bar, axle and other strongman kit? (Go to post)11-07-2016 @ 23:14 
Post Edited: 11.07.2016 @ 23:16 PM by Alex76
I have an ATX SSB from The Gym Revolution which I'm very happy with and I think is probably the best option available in the UK.

The Watson SSB is overpriced for what it is and it seems very whippy and unstable from what I've seen. The others I've seen available in the UK are poor quality Chinese ones.
» Where can I get a box for box squats (Go to post)10-07-2016 @ 17:20 
Post Edited: 10.07.2016 @ 17:21 PM by Alex76
My local B&Q have these interlocking composite paving slabs for 4 each. They're 1' square and about 2" thick, they're light but probably very strong, stacked up they'd be perfect for box squatting or as deadlift blocks.

Couldn't see them on the B&Q website bu they look a bit like this:

http://www.tuin.co.uk/images/D/Composite-Decking-Tile-Charcoal...
» EU vote (Go to post)27-06-2016 @ 21:23 
John said:Can't be bothered anymore the votes been cast it doesn't matter why I'd vote again the same way and only a small amount of that reason is down to immagration I know other people who are "formally" educated that would vote the same ,come on people let's get on with working together instead of trying to further the divide.

But changes to immigration may have never actually been on the table. According to the Attorney General the vote was just whether to leave the EU, not the EEA, which we are also by default a part of.

https://www.ifacompliance.eu/attorney-general-confirms-uk-financial...

What you've actually voted for is a bonfire of workers' rights at a massive cost that will be paid for by everyone but the rich.
» Rich piana slaps fan (Go to post)06-05-2016 @ 18:16 
aaron_lohan said:
Did Blaha end up paying a penny of that? Mind you he has more muscle mass than Serge Nubret so I cant argue with him.

He claims he didn't have to because the US embassy protected him due to his top secret CIA mercenary hitman background that he can't talk about.

I think it's more likely that he just had nothing to take.
» How many sets..... (Go to post)18-01-2016 @ 16:10 
Post Edited: 18.01.2016 @ 17:20 PM by Alex76
SteBennett said:I was expecting more than that, what kind of rep range are you all doing then?

It's highly dependent on loads of factors such as:

How long you've been training
Your individual volume tolerance
What you are training for
How often you train
Rep range
Intensity (as in weight on the bar)
Effort (how close to failure)
The intention of the training session or block (recovery, overreaching etc.)

Generally you should aim to increase overall volume in terms of number of sets over time (because you can't go on adding weight to the bar for ever), but there is no proper answer anybody could give you in terms of sets and reps without knowing all of the above and more.

The only accurate generic answer to your original question is probably one more set than you're doing now, unless that's too much.
» Balls to the wall or gas in the tank? (Go to post)22-11-2015 @ 14:07 
There is something like a linear relationship between intensity and adaptation and an exponential relationship between intensity and fatigue. Also, the main driver of adaptation (particularly hypertrophy) is volume.

Training close failure results in significantly greater fatigue than training short of failure, but not significantly greater adaptation. That greater fatigue will also reduce the amount of volume that can be done. So, although training to failure can be effective occasionally and in the short term, it's probably not wise to train to failure all of the time.
» Favourite Spectrum/C64 game? (Go to post)20-11-2015 @ 23:53 
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/7930/648918-dal...
» SECRET CRUSH (Go to post)27-10-2015 @ 21:01 
Most of these just aren't secret crushes, they're uncontroversially fit. A secret crush should be fat and/or gronky.

Mine

http://s3-static-ak.buzzfed.com/static/2015-05/12/23/campaign_...
» The importance of deloads (Go to post)14-10-2015 @ 20:34 
Imo...

They're only important if you're overreaching enough to need them.

They're probably best done by reducing volume rather than weight on the bar.

For most people life throws up deloads often enough not to have to bother with planning them.
» Making the transition from straps to no straps (Go to post)11-09-2015 @ 11:47 
Post Edited: 11.09.2015 @ 11:49 AM by Alex76
There's some great, and simple, advice on improving deadlift grip strength from Mike Tuchscherer here:

https://youtu.be/k5Ntya50fi8?t=19m17s
» New bar shopping (Go to post)06-09-2015 @ 13:21 
How about the Rouge Ohio:

http://www.rogueeurope.eu/the-ohio-bar-eu

267 including vat for what is reputedly at least as good a power bar as the Texas.
» One month to add as much strength/size as possible (Go to post)05-08-2015 @ 22:59 
McMuffin_Gains said:So coming up soon I have a full month off work due to needing to use up annual leave.

In that month I would like to add as much strength/lean mass as possible. I will pretty much be 100% committed to this purpose for the month. I'm not going away, I don't have a missus/kids to worry about, I can do what I bloody well please.

Why? Not many people ever get this sort opportunity at my age and I plan on exploiting it for the purpose of my main hobby - lifting heavy.

I plan on eating well and utilising sports massage/mobility work/icing and getting plenty of sleep to optimise recovery, as it happens, I tend to recover pretty fast anyway.

So the purpose of my posting is for anyone who has done similar or has a high training volume day to day is there any good tips/ways of achieving this? i.e training more than once a day, utilising different rep/set ranges for strength, hypertrophy etc. How many times a week would you train say bench, squat, deads overhead. I know everyone is different and will cope with high volume differently but I'm asking what you have done, what works for you.

I read some crazy idea about training all day but only doing a set every half hour or something. Crazy, out the box suggestions welcome!

And I'm well aware an obvious answer is 2 grams of test and a bottle of tren but I don't want to do that Grin Wink

For something a bit off the wall and high frequency you could try this:

http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/reignite-progress-w...

Basically:

Day 1 - Occlusion training and/or high rep rest pause training (isolation movements)

e.g. 20-30 reps, rest 10-15 seconds, 5-6 reps, rest 10-15 seconds, 5-6 reps...

Day 2 - 3-5 sets of 3-6 reps (big compounds)

Day 3 - 3-5 sets of 6-12 reps (bodybuilding stuff)

Day 4 Rest

Day 5 Repeat. Adding sets, reps or weight.
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)02-08-2015 @ 19:03 
IainKendrick said:
I honestly think the average person doesn't care less about actual times etc. They want to see competition. Many actually want to see what the human body is capable of. Not what a chemist is. Many don't really care.
Drugs are 'bad' if they are cheating Wink What's the point of doing a sport then cheating? Off course as an 18 yr old I would have certainly cheated to earn millions in the NFL lol There is a tonne of 'grey'.

I'm not so sure, look at the 800m final at the 2012 olympics, not much prospect of a competitive race but massive viewing figures because David Rudisha was expected to break the world record.

Most 'cheats' probably justify it by thinking that everyone at the top is doing it, and they could be right.

Drug testing is probably more an exercise in allowing the public to 'think' they are watching clean athletes set world records than actually having clean sport.

You are here: HomeForumAlex76 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions