REGISTER
 

Is a push pull actually strongman

123

FatpeteIcon...04-07-2021 @ 10:22 
Avatar
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 19417 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Samthepigman said:
I agree it attracts those who partake in strongman,
But is it strongman?
Should people be able to set strongman records at these comps?


I would say not.

Bench records set in bench only comps are separate from those set in three lift comps, and rightly so in my humble opinion
LessThanLukeIcon...04-07-2021 @ 11:00 
Avatar
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 04.07.2021 @ 11:01 AM by LessThanLuke
Samthepigman said:Maybe I'm not being very good at what I'm trying to get across.

The point I'm kind of making is like, comparing Football and 5 a side football. Football is the only true Football. It's not just kicking a ball around, it's played with a specific set of rules, for a specific amount of time, and with a specific number of players. If all these aren't followed, your not technically playing Football, officially anyway.

So what I'm kind of saying is, Strongman should also be defined by a certain set of conditions to make it "strongman".

Example: a competition consisting of a minimum of 5 events, all of which test a different aspect of strength, shoulder, leg, grip, back and functional (moving events).

Obviously there would be more conditions to make it Strongman, but that's just an example.

At the moment people just seem to call anything that involves lifting an odd object of some sort an official Strongman competition and break any record they feel like ?


Why 5?

I competed in a World Champs that only had 4 events. Was that not a strongman comp hah.

(For the record I think national comps should have a minimum of 6)
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...04-07-2021 @ 11:01 
Avatar
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22991 posts
Fatpete said:
Bench records set in bench only comps are separate from those set in three lift comps


I didn't know that.

Without thinking too deeply about it, I don't feel that the distinction is necessary.
RickIcon...04-07-2021 @ 11:17 
Avatar
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10068 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
I think, in the context of contests that vary so very widely, I think the log press record probably ought to bring to the person who pressed the biggest log. But how meaningful are records without refereeing standards etc? That's why every powerlifting organisation keeps its own.
SamthepigmanIcon...04-07-2021 @ 13:30 
Avatar
See You Next Tuesday
Member 2254, 3824 posts
SQ 240, BP 165, DL 300
705.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
LessThanLuke said:
Why 5?
I competed in a World Champs that only had 4 events. Was that not a strongman comp hah.
(For the record I think national comps should have a minimum of 6)


I only popped out 5 just as an example

I would say 4 is a little short. And agree a minimum of 6 events would be a better option.
SamthepigmanIcon...04-07-2021 @ 13:35 
Avatar
See You Next Tuesday
Member 2254, 3824 posts
SQ 240, BP 165, DL 300
705.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Another waffle I've been thinking about is, records should only be set at national+ level competitions.

I think it would help weed out the types that just come to strongman to lift a big single, e.g. deadlift, rather than competing in actual strongman competitions. It would help to try an ensure that strongman records were actually held by strongman competitors, and not just 1 trick ponies.

The 1 trick ponies would struggle to qualify to top end competitions. Rather than any tom dick or Harry breaking a world record at any competition his mate has organised
KevC86Icon...06-07-2021 @ 19:40 
Avatar
Member 5141, 4924 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Samthepigman said:Another waffle I've been thinking about is, records should only be set at national+ level competitions.

I think it would help weed out the types that just come to strongman to lift a big single, e.g. deadlift, rather than competing in actual strongman competitions. It would help to try an ensure that strongman records were actually held by strongman competitors, and not just 1 trick ponies.

The 1 trick ponies would struggle to qualify to top end competitions. Rather than any tom dick or Harry breaking a world record at any competition his mate has organised


Can you give an example of this?

Every meaningful WR i can think of in strongman is held by a top level strongman.
jtIcon...06-07-2021 @ 21:04 
Avatar
old age traveller
Member 332, 8076 posts
KevC86 said:
Can you give an example of this?
Every meaningful WR i can think of in strongman is held by a top level strongman.


You could argue Mark Felix Hercules hold WR

Deadlift and stones though make him a 3 trick pony?

Imagine if you had to press 150 overhead to qualify for BSM WSM etc
lukiIcon...07-07-2021 @ 09:50 
Avatar
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
jt said:
You could argue Mark Felix Hercules hold WR

Thor and Eddie did their deadlifts outside 6 event competition. Off with their heads.
WiganIcon...08-07-2021 @ 21:50 
Avatar
a cynical old scrote
Member 68, 6954 posts
SQ 255, BP 132.5, DL 250
637.5 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Samthepigman said:Another waffle I've been thinking about is, records should only be set at national+ level competitions.

I think it would help weed out the types that just come to strongman to lift a big single, e.g. deadlift, rather than competing in actual strongman competitions. It would help to try an ensure that strongman records were actually held by strongman competitors, and not just 1 trick ponies.

The 1 trick ponies would struggle to qualify to top end competitions. Rather than any tom dick or Harry breaking a world record at any competition his mate has organised


Is this a bit of strongman snobbery? Happy

Surely if the sport allows these "1 trick ponies" to compete and claim world records it is fair game
unit94Icon...09-07-2021 @ 16:09 
Avatar
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10452 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
I think a push pull is strongman but I do find strongman deadlift records with bumpers, straps, hitching set in deadlift only comps being less than powerlifting records very weird. The strongman argument used to be that you had done events previously to the record but now it's the other way round with powerlifters having to squat and bench first so they have stricter rules and a harder build up.

Also on the one trick pony thing I find it very strange with guys just doing one lift and chasing records. The Ashu guy with the amazing deadlift is very impressive but to me deadlift isn't a sport so it's weird to just be a deadlifter. Same with guys like Tom Hibbert just doing Log press, I don't really understand it. I like being a strongman but people like to break records so I guess they'll do whatever they can to break one
lukiIcon...09-07-2021 @ 16:54 
Avatar
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
What's wrong with bumpers?)
KevC86Icon...09-07-2021 @ 17:11 
Avatar
Member 5141, 4924 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
jt said:
You could argue Mark Felix Hercules hold WR
Deadlift and stones though make him a 3 trick pony?
Imagine if you had to press 150 overhead to qualify for BSM WSM etc


You could argue that, but you'd look a bit daft.
Fe took 3 2nds in his WSM group (which included the now WSM), only 1 of those 2nds was an event you've listed.
He barely missed out on the final in 2019 and podiumed at UKs in 2020 over 3 days of competition.

To try and suggest Fe is anything other than a top class strongman would be bonkers.
SamthepigmanIcon...09-07-2021 @ 18:14 
Avatar
See You Next Tuesday
Member 2254, 3824 posts
SQ 240, BP 165, DL 300
705.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
I agree with what your saying about people who say, just log press like tom hibbert, which is one of the points I'm trying to make. If you don't compete in actual strongman competitions, then your not actually doing strongman. Your just doing a single lift for your own enjoyment. But in my opinion you shouldn't be able to just go and do these single lifts, and have it as a record over one which was done in an actual strongman competition
unit94Icon...10-07-2021 @ 07:50 
Avatar
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10452 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Post Edited: 10.07.2021 @ 07:50 AM by unit94
Samthepigman said:I agree with what your saying about people who say, just log press like tom hibbert, which is one of the points I'm trying to make. If you don't compete in actual strongman competitions, then your not actually doing strongman. Your just doing a single lift for your own enjoyment. But in my opinion you shouldn't be able to just go and do these single lifts, and have it as a record over one which was done in an actual strongman competition


Yeah I feel a similar way, it's no great injustice but I find it a bit odd

123

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions