Diet for a Newbie

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

oggy22IconDiet for a Newbie20-01-2015 @ 10:55 
Please insult me further!!
Member 5626, 92 posts
SQ 165, BP 110, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Morning all.

I have been going to the gym for about 18 months now, mainly to tone up and put on a bit of muscle etc, nothing too serious.

From the start of this year however, I have decided to change all this and go and try and 'bulk' up and add strength, rather than going solely for the toned look.

I have been trying to eat a lot more and go to the gym every other day and have completely changed my routine to try and incorporate this. I just need a bit of advice from you pro's about what I should/shouldn't be eating (training tips if you have them to hand too if possible)

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance Happy

Paul
JonA81Icon...20-01-2015 @ 11:01 
Member 2216, 2243 posts
The seefood diet is highly recommended.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...20-01-2015 @ 11:07 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
JonA81 said:The seefood diet is highly recommended.

And it works too!
slimsimIcon...20-01-2015 @ 11:17 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Don't take this the wrong way but you might also want to start pushing yourselves a bit harder with the weights as well. Nobody should have a 70kg squat after 18-months of training.

I concur with the seefood diet. Just make sure the weight increase is fairly controlled. If you put on 4lb/month then the majority of that could be muscle but that's unlikely if you're putting on 14lb/month.
oggy22Icon...20-01-2015 @ 11:28 
Member 5626, 92 posts
SQ 165, BP 110, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
slimsim said:Don't take this the wrong way but you might also want to start pushing yourselves a bit harder with the weights as well. Nobody should have a 70kg squat after 18-months of training.

I concur with the seefood diet. Just make sure the weight increase is fairly controlled. If you put on 4lb/month then the majority of that could be muscle but that's unlikely if you're putting on 14lb/month.

Well as I said, I was purely there to tone up - wasn't lifting or attempting to lift heavy and until 2 weeks ago, had never done a squat in my life. I also have an illness that causes me to get tired and run down really easily so puching myself is sometimes quite difficult!!

What is this seafood diet?
slimsimIcon...20-01-2015 @ 11:30 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
oggy22 said:
Well as I said, I was purely there to tone up - wasn't lifting or attempting to lift heavy and until 2 weeks ago, had never done a squat in my life. I also have an illness that causes me to get tired and run down really easily so puching myself is sometimes quite difficult!!
What is this seafood diet?

That's fair enough. There's not much you can do if an illness is preventing you going balls to the wall.

The seefood diet = see food and eat it! Wink
oggy22Icon...20-01-2015 @ 11:38 
Member 5626, 92 posts
SQ 165, BP 110, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
That's fair enough. There's not much you can do if an illness is preventing you going balls to the wall.
The seefood diet = see food and eat it! Wink

I know Unhappy - it's so frustrating sometimes. I can go say today and go all out but then 2 days later im "ill" and it's such a struggle or I can't go. Sometimes get a 1-2 week block and then have to have 1-2 weeks off and im back at the beginning. BUT, from the start of the year with changing my diet and focusing on lifting heavy and doing more compound weight movements I am seeing an improvement in both health and strength already.

Surely with this seefood diet, you must follow some kind of plan? Can't be good if you just scoff a load of chocolate or crisps just because you see it lol.

My current daily diet from the start or this year is:

Breakfast: Oats with fruit
Snack: Tuna salad sandwich with fruit
Lunch: Chicken and rice with fruit
Tea: Chicken/Steak/Fish with Potatoes and veg
Late eveneing: Either protein shake if gone to the gym or something life boiled eggs on toast etc

That's pretty much all I eat, plus about 3 litres of water a day. No fizzy drinks, chocolate, fatty foods etc.
slimsimIcon...20-01-2015 @ 11:53 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
oggy22 said:
I know Unhappy - it's so frustrating sometimes. I can go say today and go all out but then 2 days later im "ill" and it's such a struggle or I can't go. Sometimes get a 1-2 week block and then have to have 1-2 weeks off and im back at the beginning. BUT, from the start of the year with changing my diet and focusing on lifting heavy and doing more compound weight movements I am seeing an improvement in both health and strength already.
Surely with this seefood diet, you must follow some kind of plan? Can't be good if you just scoff a load of chocolate or crisps just because you see it lol.
My current daily diet from the start or this year is:
Breakfast: Oats with fruit
Lunch: Chicken and rice with fruit
Tea: Chicken/Steak/Fish with Potatoes and veg
Late eveneing: Either protein shake if gone to the gym or something life boiled eggs on toast etc
That's pretty much all I eat, plus about 3 litres of water a day. No fizzy drinks, chocolate, fatty foods etc.

You're bang on, that's why i added that the weight gain needs to be reasonable. Depending on how much of a hard gainer you are you might want to add a bit more fat into your diet, especially some healthy fats but otherwise, as long as your portion sizes are big enough, there's no reason why you shouldn't gain some mass eating the above. Plus you're getting in plenty of fruit and veg which is a lot better than a lot of people I know.
oggy22Icon...20-01-2015 @ 12:00 
Member 5626, 92 posts
SQ 165, BP 110, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
You're bang on, that's why i added that the weight gain needs to be reasonable. Depending on how much of a hard gainer you are you might want to add a bit more fat into your diet, especially some healthy fats but otherwise, as long as your portion sizes are big enough, there's no reason why you shouldn't gain some mass eating the above. Plus you're getting in plenty of fruit and veg which is a lot better than a lot of people I know.

Thanks Slimsim. Your help is much appreciated Happy
Funky_monkeyIcon...20-01-2015 @ 12:15 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5120 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Fibromyalgia? Only guessing that because of all the fruit.

If you can get your bench to 80kg, then I don't see why you can't get your squat up to 100kg with just a little bit of training!

Build your training around squat, bench, deadlift and shoulder press. Leave a little in the tank if you need to save your CNS.

Your diet looks good, but it looks like you just aren't stimulating muscle growth - you said you'd never squatted until 2 weeks ago!

I would say to concentrate more on bigger muscle groups, without going to failure.
oggy22Icon...20-01-2015 @ 12:21 
Member 5626, 92 posts
SQ 165, BP 110, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Funky_monkey said:Fibromyalgia? Only guessing that because of all the fruit.

If you can get your bench to 80kg, then I don't see why you can't get your squat up to 100kg with just a little bit of training!

Build your training around squat, bench, deadlift and shoulder press. Leave a little in the tank if you need to save your CNS.

Your diet looks good, but it looks like you just aren't stimulating muscle growth - you said you'd never squatted until 2 weeks ago!

I would say to concentrate more on bigger muscle groups, without going to failure.

Thanks for the tips Funky.

Since I started back in the new year, I have been focusing on Deadlifts, Bench and Squats. I find squats really hard lol - my legs are painfully weak. My Bench should be a bit higher now as I did 80kg for 5 reps the other day. All just going to take time on the squats I guess, weak legs don't help my deadlifts either but they are improving steadily for reps anyway.

Can I ask why you wouldn't go to failure?

Thanks
Funky_monkeyIcon...20-01-2015 @ 12:29 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5120 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 20.01.2015 @ 16:39 PM by Funky_monkey
If your legs are woefully weak, then this is exactly why you should be doing them more often!

I said don't go to 100% failure as you stated you have a medical condition that means training sometimes wipes you out. As long as you use progressive overload (60kg for 5 sets of 5 this week, 62.5kg next week, 65kg the week after etc.) then you're making progress.

Failure on things like squats and deadlifts will affect your CNS. I'm not a medical professional, but would make an educated guess that CNS strain will make your body shut down a little more frequently. I don't even know if you have Fibromyalgia or CFS.
oggy22Icon...20-01-2015 @ 12:42 
Member 5626, 92 posts
SQ 165, BP 110, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Funky_monkey said:If your leg are woefully weak, then this is exactly why you should be doing them more often!

I said don't go to 100% failure as you stated you have a medical condition that means training sometimes wipes you out. As long as you use progressive overload (60kg for 5 sets of 5 this week, 62.5kg next week, 65kg the week after etc.) then you're making progress.

Failure on things like squats and deadlifts will affect your CNS. I'm not a medical professional, but would make an educated guess that CNS strain will make your body shut down a little more frequently. I don't even know if you have Fibromyalgia or CFS.

Thanks for the advice. I will take it on board and give it a try. Planning on Squats tonight so it's ideal timing Happy

My medical condition is similar to CFS and Fibromyalgia. I am totally wiped out the day after the gym so I do need to tailor this correctly in order to help my CNS like you say.

Can't wait to get into the gym tonight now Happy

Cheers guys
donnieIcon...20-01-2015 @ 14:43 
Wee Donnie
Member 5605, 450 posts
u need calories
your meal plan is good but needs more calories
with clean food you need to add some milk, a lot of milk, natural honey with milk is great
yogurt with honey and bananas is great
a lot of bananas i recommend, a kilo a day at least
some raw nuts also very good
cheat meals also good 2-3 times a week - burgers,pizza, icecream
but most important is quality food - red meat(no chicken full of estrogen), rice, potatoes, egg whtes, oatmeals
drink a lot of eggwhites
before bed a lot of cottage cheese
and a some cardio when bulking for sure
and heavy training at least 3 times a week
also very important
big mistake many do
u dont have to eat in 2-3 hours
U EAT WHEN U ARE HUNGRY
3-4 times eating in a day is perfect
dont need supplements
shanejerIcon...20-01-2015 @ 16:43 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
donnie said:u need calories
your meal plan is good but needs more calories
with clean food you need to add some milk, a lot of milk, natural honey with milk is great
yogurt with honey and bananas is great
a lot of bananas i recommend, a kilo a day at least
some raw nuts also very good
cheat meals also good 2-3 times a week - burgers,pizza, icecream
but most important is quality food - red meat(no chicken full of estrogen), rice, potatoes, egg whtes, oatmeals
drink a lot of eggwhites
before bed a lot of cottage cheese
and a some cardio when bulking for sure
and heavy training at least 3 times a week
also very important
big mistake many do
u dont have to eat in 2-3 hours
U EAT WHEN U ARE HUNGRY
3-4 times eating in a day is perfect
dont need supplements

My advise is to ignore anything and everything this man says

And don't do the seafood diet lol