Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:31 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 03.08.2012 @ 22:56 PM by Sparrow
Gingy said:
first off: I like crossfit, I've recommended to friends that are a bit lost that they try it and they love it. It's a lovely mixed outlet for your typical failed athlete... oh snap!
The games are built around the training methods that crossfit endorces, they are not actually Random. e.g if the events were 5m ball of paper thrown in a bin followed by extreme ironing followed by max piss height I sincerely doubt he'd be the best suited.
You can not argue that he is adapted to any situation, he's very good in any Crossfit situation. Which is a finite, practicable set of skills.
The winner of the games is NOT, absolutely not, the best all round athlete on the planet! Like I've said before, Rich Froning could not compete in a Deacthlon after a years training (not successfully anyway) but the winner of the decathlon at London could train for a year and Take a large piss over the entire crossfit community from a height.
To think differently to this staggers me and I have absolutely not seen any evidence to the contrary (even on that lovely youtube channel).
I don't know what the current decathletes cnj and snatch because they don't go on about it like they're anything special but you can be certain if they bothered a 120/150 would be a bit of fun. Hell, people like HUGE_GUY destroy those weights off barely any oly training and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he'd struggle to live with the top decathletes on the long jump alone (which I understand is his main event).
Because true top level athletes are hidden away just training and not videoing everything and being endorsed by food supplement x and clothes company y doesn't mean they aren't doing staggering feats of endurance and strength far beyond that of "The Tin Man".

Did you read my earlier post about the Games events?

NO preparation time. events such as:

Triathlon
Shuttle sprint
Med ball toss
Assault course
Standing broad jump

...are hardly 'finite, practicable set of skills'. Well they might be IF they know that's what they were doing but they didn't! and the best man (and woman) still won with totally different events to the previous year.

As Ian K said - Crossfit is just branded circuit training (which I don't agree with as I've never seen a circuit training class do max snatch, or 50 burpee muscle ups as examples of the workouts...). Reebok have pumped $290,000,000 (yes that's two hundred and ninety million dollars) in the last two years into Crossfit as part of a massive marketing campaign (so like it or not it's here to stay). One of the main things about the campaign is the desire to find 'the fittest on the planet' with good prize money. Surely you'd expect there to be loads of other athletes, ex army or whatever there battling it out for 250k? But no, it's full of Crossfitters... Doing standard events, or circuit training...

To put it across another way, here is a list of the exercises used at this year's Games:

Swimming
Cycling
Running
Assault course
Standing broad jump
Medicine ball cleans to the shoulder
Medicine ball carries on the shoulder
Handstand push ups
Medicine ball toss
Split snatch
Bar muscle ups
400m sprints
Shuttle sprints
Rope climbs
American Football style sled push
Squat cleans
Deadlifts
Overhead squats
Box jumps
Thrusters
Power cleans
Toes to bar (like a hanging leg raise)
Burpee muscle ups
Skipping (double unders)
Hitting a metal block with a sledgehammer
Ring dips
Power snatch
Pull ups

So when you say "The games are built around the training methods that crossfit endorces, they are not actually Random." I would say, random or not (which many of them ARE) they are all pretty standard movements designed to test 'fitness'? Where is there a better test than that anywhere else which tests all of the physical attributes (going off anybody's definition of 'fitness')?

I think you sound like a typical Crossfit hater and are in fact massively underestimating just how phenomenal Froning and co. are...
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:33 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
shanejer said:Rich froning is an example mate.

Basically you talk bulls**t no point even trying to argue with you lol. Events for games are given like 5 days before i think.. no time to prepare .... it is all about your set of skills you develop and how well rounded you are.

If someone could train for 1 year and "take a piss all over them" don't you think the half a mil prize would somewhat entise them to do so?

Oh i guess not........ Cos it's not in London 2012

Happy

I love you Shane! Grin

I do understand your frustration though.
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:36 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Gingy said:
I would never say that about boxing v marathon running. Boxers would have zero chance v marathon runners.
If a claim is made about this sport that it produces the worlds most rounded athlete then I'm afraid it becomes fair game to try and counter that claim.
I did use some fairly strong comparisons and perhaps was a tad carried away but the point I'm trying to make still stands. The best decathletes are the best all round athletes on the planet and would have a very good shot at the crossfit games given a relatively small amount of training. Crossfitters would not do so comparatively well if they were asked to do the ten events of the decathlon given the same training time.

Looking at the Decathlon events, I don't see how they are a good, rounded test of fitness though? No rowing, swimming, lifting etc.
sexymikehowarthIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:37 
Full mask or nasal and chin strap?
Member 3254, 2485 posts
Would still be nice to see where all this crossfit "hate" is in the thread if somebody could quote that would be great

It does look like this is a touchy subject to those who are very very pro crossfit to the point of the cult culture we see alot of
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:39 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
So YOU power clean 175kg but the worlds best decathlete's only power clean 140kg. Are you making these figures up? Struggling to get round 1500m is not a conditioning issue but a pacing one and I'd be surprised if they couldn't work to 85+% off their 1500m pace for extended periods.
I agree with pretty much everything Gingy has said. We are talking about the best athletes in the world. You don't think an Olympic gold could earn an athlete more than that in sponsorship easily? Daley Thompson - straight away you think Lucozade and Daley Thompsons Decathlon (if you're old enough to remember). The earning potential from an Olympic gold along with the status that goes alongside it means that the Crossfit Games aren't even on their radar and I doubt very much that money holds much lure to these guys anyway.

I don't care who you are. Say a top 10 outsider at the Olympics - $250,000 is a lot of money for most people. Surely SOMEBODY recently retired frm the sport or pissed off with not being selected or whatever would think - yeah it's easy to win this as Simon and Gingy said so on Sugden (Wink) so I'm going to do it! (They haven't though...)
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:43 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Gingy said:
To me they are impressive, for guys who are as strong as they are, given the way they've destroyed themselves over two days. I couldn't do it, you couldn't do it, Crossfit dude number 1 couldn't do it.
Also, a lot of these super strong cross fitters are super strong from sports they've done before hand or the super fit ones are fit from sports they've done before, not all I'm sure but tbh I really think the guys who excel at crossfit started by being pretty great at another sport but not quite good enough... hence the choice to go chase the money in a flourishing sport with relatively weak competition. Happy

Come on! You can't say competing in a Decathlon is harder than competing in the Crossfit Games?? No idea...Roll-Eyes

I agree with your second point though. The thing is they didn't get there or do well at the Games because of their previously chosen sport - they got there because they started Crossfit Training (which I take to mean being good at EVERYTHING).
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:45 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Steve said:
At the last Olympics I remeber one US commentator stating that a gold at the Olympics was worth at least $1,000,000 - I'm sure in a high profile event like decathlon it would be even more. As you say I doubt Crossfit prize money would lure multi eventers to give it a try.

Even if it did there's nothing to say they'd win (and I don't think they would).

Surely not all Olympic competitors actually believe they can win e.g. Stuart Stokes in the Steeplechase today. So what are they in it for? surely £250,000 would be useful to them?
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:47 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:I think the main things crossfit haters hate about crossfit is:

- The elitism, I'm better than you cos I do snatches and don't use machines mentality
- The fact that some of them bang on about strength but then just deadlift 80kgx50 or snatch 40kgx30, with bad form
- The stupid words they make up like "metcon". I'd love to know (despite googling it to hell) what this actually means

LOL

I think most of the exercises they use are solid, 'functional' lifts!

Metcon = metabolic conditioning
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:50 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Gingy said:
The guys at the olympics are the best athletes in the world.
Sport has to have a specific skill set element to it. It's all part of the mastery.
You make a good point that some other sports could hold the best all rounders. I only really back the notion that crossfit do not have the best athlete in the world which is what the sport seems to hang its hat on.

But do they have the fittest?

Mikko Salo (2010 Games champion) has a resting heart rate of ~ 30bpm and can do impressive feats of strength to go with it.

To me that is impressive as hell and what all round 'fitness' and the Games are all about.
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:52 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:
I know a retired one. I wouldnt compare them to a decathlete or rugby player physically. What about iron men comps? I know they are weak as hell but the competitions they do are tougher than anything.
The best all-rounder isnt even in a sport i bet, because they wont stand out on antyhing.

To test 'fitness' you need to include all the physical attributes, so the Ironmen will obviously do very well on endurance, but crap on strength, power, speed etc.

I agree with your last point, but the level is getting to a point where the athletes mentioned DO stand out in certain areas as they are just so good.
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 22:54 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
sexymikehowarth said:
If you read the thread again from the beginning it makes for interesting reading
Maybe your feathers were already ruffled
On the plus side as well as yours there are some very well balanced opinions and interesting perspectives

No previously ruffled feathers from me Mike!

I've enjoyed the debate - being off work is brilliant! Grin
SparrowIcon...03-08-2012 @ 23:00 
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
sexymikehowarth said:Would still be nice to see where all this crossfit "hate" is in the thread if somebody could quote that would be great

It does look like this is a touchy subject to those who are very very pro crossfit to the point of the cult culture we see alot of

Unless you've not been reading the same thread as me, I would say there have been numerous anti-Crossfit posts in here by various people.

Normally these people don't actually know what they are talking about and don't even know what Crossfit is or haven't actually experienced it for themselves as it is meant to be done.

People usually feel passionate about something for a reason Mike!
GingyIcon...03-08-2012 @ 23:04 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 03.08.2012 @ 23:08 PM by Gingy
Sparrow said:
Reebok have pumped $290,000,000 (yes that's two hundred and ninety million dollars) in the last two years into Crossfit as part of a massive marketing campaign (so like it or not it's here to stay). One of the main things about the campaign is the desire to find 'the fittest on the planet' with good prize money. Surely you'd expect there to be loads of other athletes, ex army or whatever there battling it out for 250k? But no, it's full of Crossfitters... Doing standard events, or circuit training...
To put it across another way, here is a list of the exercises used at this year's Games:
I think you sound like a typical Crossfit hater and are in fact massively underestimating just how phenomenal Froning and co. are...

I should start by saying thanks very much for explaining the increments of the decimal system, I'd have struggled with that real big number otherwise Tongue

Now I should say well done reebok!!! Massive congratulations! What they've managed to do with this marketing is not only convince sensible and educated people that its a fun outlet and a varied way of staying healthy but in fact they've successfully invented a means by which they can declare they've found the best athlete on the planet! Not only that but this Uber-athlete, this god of men, gets to be represented at every available opportunity with an enormous reebok symbol!

Re: the athletes from the military rocking up and winning. What? I don't get your point? If I was an insanely well rounded athlete and thought to myself " I want to win the crossfit games " then of course I'd start at a crossfit club and become a cross fitter?? Just like if I thought to myself " I want to win the olympics in Rowing" I'd join the local boat club and become a rower? This is why only "Crossfitters" do the crossfit games??

All of the exercises you mentioned are exercises that appear in the seemingly "random" system that crossfit recommend. Of course they do. If people rocked up to the crossfit games and it was a horse race and a game of poker, their members would be f**king appalled. Hence if I wanted to win crossfit I'd do crossfit because it, by design, prepares you for the crossfit games better than other training styles?

In fact, it's again very clever of reebok to create the games and reward the winner with such a large prize and idolise them because it instantly legitimises a training method that is almost entirely unfounded.

Re: the hating. For the 5th time, I think, I like crossfit. It's a great thing for people who are very good athletes and want a different outlet. I just don't think it creates the fittest man on the planet, rather it creates the best cross fitter. There is definitely a difference.
GingyIcon...03-08-2012 @ 23:07 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Sparrow said:
People usually feel passionate about something for a reason Mike!

True Dat!

Whether it's because their sport creates the best athlete on the planet or because of $290,000,000 (that's two hundred and ninety million dollars) extremely well spent by a certain clothing company.

Grin
shanejerIcon...03-08-2012 @ 23:11 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
*sigh*

it does not create the best crossfitter. Crossfit is just a named used for the cross of multiple diciplines put into 1 event to see who is the best

people join in form all differnet back grounds

Am i purely a strongman? Or because i do a few WOD's and Metcons a week am i purely a crossfitter? Can i not be classed as a powerlifter as i train pl movments?

You go to the games they say - do these 5 events fittest man wins - definition of total fitness (as per all pt/s&c courses) = physical fitness further brokebn in to (cardiovascular fitness, strength, body comp, erm flexability and muscular endurance) emotional fitness, medical fitness, socail fitness and nutritioal fitness.

CF aims to get all these into it and give it to people that join the gym which is where the "cult" aspect comes from which you keep reffering to BUT alot of the top guys at the games just train at home for strength and conditioning

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions