REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 3 members and 209 guests
You are here: HomeForumherman → View All Posts

View All Posts: herman

12345678910 ... ... 5657585960616263646566

» New Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar for sale (Go to post)06-10-2012 @ 20:58 
BigMacca said:
There was a bit of that I'll admit Happy
But it was more about the TPB bars being ok for what they actually cost - $250, but a right f**king rip off by the time they have been shipped over here.
They are as whippy as any olympic bar I've ever used and bend relatively easily.
York do a 'power bar' that I think you can grab for around £250 - £300, I've not used one but have heard that they are ok

Yorks "Power Bar" is awful. They just use the term "power" to hide the fact it is an economy line bar. I mean its better than the really rubbish argos catalogue types. But whatever grade of steel they make it out is very bendy. Despite the bar being 32mm thick, it has as much bounce as a 28mm which is disconcerting.They are shiny chrome all over which fills in the knurl making them very slipperly. They have had one im my gym for a year and it already looks beat up and old.

The York weightlifting bars are good. Much better steel, excellent light but grippy knurl. The bars are bright zinc instead of chrome which is not slippery ad does not fill the knurl.
» Squat Progression - from powerlifting style squat to real squat (Go to post)06-10-2012 @ 14:10 
Post Edited: 06.10.2012 @ 14:12 PM by herman
Tom_Martin said:
Don't feel like that, it's exactly the kind of thing I'm encouraging.
Are you sure you mean elbows back? That actually seems to force me chest downwards....?

Elbows UP and Elbows BACK are two totally different things.

Look at any good weightlifter doing back squats and their elbows and shoulders stay locked back throughout the movement, this helps them maintain good posture and extreme consistency.

This is totally different to the newb mistake of lifting the elbows UP. Lifting them up would cause internal rotation of the shoulder and like your say, could force your chest down. That would be a weak position and potentially harmful for the shoulders also.

What you want is the whole scapulothoracic joint to be pulled back. If you focus on getting the shoulders back, scapula down and chest up (which you are already doing) you are most of the way there. But allowing the elbows to shift forwards loosens the whole thing up again. Once all the other bits are locked into position, you want to just pull your elbows back just a tiny bit to keep yourself tight (not try to raise them to the ceiling) most important just to keep them wherever they are.

Boris from Squat RX wrote about it a while ago, regarding the frequent misunderstanding among riptards.

http://squatrx.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/elbow-positioning-when-s...

Watch the elbows and shoulders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jxTc2ITA8
» New Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar for sale (Go to post)06-10-2012 @ 12:20 
Trw said:cheers guys.

posted it on here 3 weeks ago and no one give a s**t thats why i stuck it on ebay lol

i'd rather it went to a good home though...

Tom

I made a serious offer of £200

looks like youll get that on ebay anyway now.
» Squat Progression - from powerlifting style squat to real squat (Go to post)06-10-2012 @ 02:43 
Again I always feel a bit silly to be giving you advice. But I reckon you should focus on keeping your elbows/shoulders back and not let them drift forward at the bottom. It will help your upper back stay tighter and more upright.
» Nutella! Is it bad to munch it as energy? (Go to post)05-10-2012 @ 13:55 
hifilover said:Get some decent peanut butter (without the s**tty palm oil).

Much better for you; tastes f**king amazing and great for energy Grin

Palm Oil is good for you. Only problem is that it is bad for the environment as people have to chop down the rainforest to plant oil trees. But as a fat, its very good. And there is only a small amount in there anyway.

The stuff that you want to avoid is hydrogenated fat, but everyone has stopped using it now anyway.
» epic fail (Go to post)05-10-2012 @ 13:52 
Is Mr Puke on here? whats the story behind it. Helluva lot of "volume"
» Big Z ....'Not just yet ! ' (Go to post)05-10-2012 @ 03:23 
Well the clean & press got up to 236kg before it stopped being contested. So you would think someone could at least match that eventually considering you are allowed leg drive and a dip under, even if the log is more awkward, doesnt the smaller ROM balance it out?
» Do your deadlift & squat progress better trained together or separate? (Go to post)04-10-2012 @ 21:17 
Samthepigman said:If u struggle with squatting or deadlifting multiple times a week i think its because ur TRAINING with to much weight per sesh. I heard u should only fully max out on deads a few times a year, not every other training session

I am weak as piss though, dont think those rules apply to me.
» Nutella! Is it bad to munch it as energy? (Go to post)04-10-2012 @ 18:49 
its mostly just vegetable oil and sugar.

So there are a lot of options with similar ingredients you could go for. How about cake covered in nutella? wash it down with milk.

Healthwise sugar and basic veg oils are bad for you, but YOLO and all that!
» Do your deadlift & squat progress better trained together or separate? (Go to post)04-10-2012 @ 14:56 
Post Edited: 04.10.2012 @ 14:58 PM by herman
For me I have never managed to get them to compliment each other. I find both lifts awkward in different ways, due to body proportions, injuries etc. So both require a huge amount of focus to have any kind of consistency. I need to squat very regularly to even keep my embarrassingly small numbers and technique up, (at least 3xweek). and when squatting this often I cannot get deads to progress at all, because I need to deadlift at least twice a week for it to progress or even to keep technique consistent, which would kill ability to squat. So I have always done a single token deadlift session once per week/fortnight, but it achieves nothing but keep my grip strength in shape.

I have never tried a deadlift focused programme but think I need to do get it to go up.

Tom said something about bench press & snatches, for me its the same with deads & squats;

bench press hates snatch/jerk... They are bitter rivals. They share common use of facilities, but demand that those facilities be used for almost mutually exclusive purposes! They do not get along...
» Hot chilis (Go to post)04-10-2012 @ 01:09 
Post Edited: 04.10.2012 @ 01:18 AM by herman
The "Naga" (also called ghost chilli I believe) is native to the exact place where my parents come from. So I grew up with them. Nothing comes close to these in terms of pure intensity. There is a lot of variety of heat depending on where and what temperature it was grown. So if you have had one before and where underwhelmed do not assume they are all the same.

The way they are traditionally eaten is as a sort of garnish. You have one whole (always green and obviosly raw) alongside your dinner. Which is some kind of curry and rice. With fish curries in particular, the flavouring is more delicate and you find yourself wanting more heat. So you munch on your naga in between mouthfulls of your actual dinner.
» Do your deadlift & squat progress better trained together or separate? (Go to post)03-10-2012 @ 23:19 
Post Edited: 03.10.2012 @ 23:24 PM by herman
I meant more as in a training cycle. Like 4-8 weeks doing a squat programme or deadlift specifically, only focusing on one lift during the entire period.

But as you bring up both in the session, doing deads after squats seems fine. If anything it cuts down on warm ups for the deads. (This maybe different for much stronger people though)

What baffles me is this group of old powerlifters that train at my gym (all used to compete and still lift fairly big) they often do squats AFTER deadlifts. Now that is just mental.
» Do your deadlift & squat progress better trained together or separate? (Go to post)03-10-2012 @ 22:42 
Was wondering if people find it more productive to focus on either the squat or deadlift on their own, like spending a few weeks or even months prioritising one or the other?

Or if you progress better training both together?
» Your Best Video'd Lift ! (Go to post)03-10-2012 @ 15:28 
VanillaGorilla said:Probably this 320kg deadlift I think:

Cor! I knew your were good, but not that good. I am very impressed.
» All you can eat...unless you're a p.i.g. (Go to post)02-10-2012 @ 23:40 
walker said:
How can you take the piss by paying the £12 for 'all you can eat' then eating all you can..?? Surely that's what everyone would expect to do. I bet the restaurant still makes money as 12 quid doesn't sound that cheap.

There is a persian food place near me that had all you can eat for £5. Had plenty of meat on offer too.

They went out of business, surprisingly not because of the super cheap price. But because no one went, people round my ends are tight as fook and too scared to try something different. They prefer the fried chicken place nearby that does meals for £1

12345678910 ... ... 5657585960616263646566

You are here: HomeForumherman → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions