Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumslow_lift_joe → View All Posts

View All Posts: slow_lift_joe

» Raw. Like, real RAW raw (Go to post)22-05-2020 @ 15:05 
My take on raw or lifting with a bench shirt of squat suits is that raw is without the shirts or gear.

We have to appreciate that sports evolves look at Rugby with body armour protection, football with ankle guards etc and tennis with elbow straps and knee straps, all sport now have some degree of support or protection equipment.

I think in Powerlifting and Strength sports I think there is nothing wrong with a pair of weightlifting shoes, belt and knee/elbow sleeves for support, it the 21st century and some apparel with support/protection is part of the sport.

If someone can lift heavy weight without a belt and wrist/knee support then that is true raw strength and no grey area.

The problem we have sport has grey areas, look at formula 1, it would be better if all the drivers drove the same car, if golfers used the same golf clubs, if elite cyclists rode the same bike with unshaven legs and swimmers did not wear carbon flex hydrodynamics FINA spproved tech suits, the list goes on.

What I do have an issue with someone who is clearly overweight and unhealthy waddling up to a monolift and half squatting and being out of breath in a squat suit.

I think strength sports should be about a strength and conditioning you should be able to move, be mobile, be healthy and strong.

Like with anything it is about balance, having support but not cheating.
» Cleaning a Barbell (Go to post)20-05-2020 @ 15:41 
No worries Luki, I hope you and your family are safe and healthy.

I have not done any removal of the sleeves, on the TPB the sleeves are riveted on at the ends and on the York the design is a spilt design sleeve both my barbells are very old school and with solid sleeves, old design, there are modern versions now. I have looked after them as they cost me hard earned working class money many years ago, I love strength training and the history of the sport and looking after the kit and getting decent kit if I can afford it or when I can afford it.
(I would love a Eleiko or Ivanko but I never earned or saved enough to achieve it, but I am happy with my slowly build up collection of strength kit.

I just get the oil into the bushings, spin, more oil, clean the knurl and brasso up the sleeves. I brush chalk off with a Oxo grip brush, I am moving more and more to completely raw but I still like chalk, but reviewing the other thread about completely raw, no belt and no chalk is very interesting.

You could take the sleeves off and there are many videos on you tube showing people doing this, you need to check the mechanism and really understand what you are doing, some manufacturers do a inspection and maintenance program/guide.
This does tend to be the higher end manufacturers.

Another option would be to spray WD40 down the sleeves into the mechanism and wipe the bar down with thinner or vinegar. It is not what I do, I prefer 3 in 1 oil but I know of lads who use WD40 and vinegar to remove rusting.

There are a number of guys on you tube who do an excellent job with a rusting old barbell and the restoration, however some are a little over the top with the good old USA bro talk, but like anything amongst the "Yo Guys Talk" there is some knowledge worth learning, even if it is just one important point.

A good one to watch on you tube is the following :-
Rusty 20 + old barbell barbell unbelievable restoration - Garage Gym Reviews.
What this guy achieves is excellent but he uses vinegar ?

Take care and stay safe.

Happy
» Cleaning a Barbell (Go to post)20-05-2020 @ 11:05 
I do this as part of my maintenance every 3 months to 6 months.
I carry out maintenance around Christmas time more of a down time for me.
Then around May time again before I start the summer training and fans blowing and doors open etc.

I train in a home garage gym which is cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
Moisture is an issue so rust spots appear.

I brush the barbell first with a wire brush, clean off with a soft cloth.
Brush the chalk out with a toothbrush or a small Oxo Grips type brush.
Oil with 3 in 1 oil all over including the knurl, sleeves and bar.
Finish with some Brasso to polish the sleeves up.
I only use Brasso on the sleeves.
I oil the rotation inside of the sleeves the bush and bearings, some have different mechanisms, mine is an old Texas Power Bar and I have an old split sleeve York bar, fat bar and a Swiss/football bar with no rotation.
I let the 3 in 1 do the main work on the bar and knurl, I let it rest for a while before I clean over with a cloth to finish.

Some people I know use vinegar to remove stubborn rust but I have not tried this method, there are rust removing products but I have never used any.

I never get it perfect because the sleeves are discoloured but it helps and fight against further corrosion. It is part of my maintenance regime and very important in my opinion if you value your barbell as an important training tool, keep it clean and in good working order.
» coronavirus (Go to post)19-05-2020 @ 16:55 
Willsan you make some good points about vitamins and especially the Vitamin D deficiency in the population as a whole.
There is some data showing that a lot of people who died did have vitamin D deficiency but more data is required, so this not completely confirmed but a lot of leading medical professionals are stating the importance of vitamin D with COVID 19.

I have never understood why a good dose for common sense is not dealt out :-

1. If you are obese you need to lose weight and you are at risk.
2. Stop smoking and drinking heavy, get healthy and give up the Domino's
(I have seen too many Domino's van during this crisis)
3. We are not hunter gathers anymore, and we spend too much time indoors hence the vitamin D deficiency get out and walk or move a yoke or ride a bike.
4. Get strong, strong people are more resilient.

I am not saying vitamin D and a barbell is going to fully protect you from COVID 19 but if you are stronger and your nutrients with minerals and vitamins are in solid order you are in a better place.

Also another factor which is being looked into is the subject of a ventilator referrals, again no solid data yet but there is talk a lot of doctors in USA placing patients onto a ventilator too early or when the body could have possibly worked harder to recover without a ventilator, the ventilator could do more damage than good, again more data required, nothing proven yet.

Final point on a vaccine you might be right Adam but a solution must be found otherwise the World economy falls and never recovers, unless Gates is waiting in the wings with Jeff Bezos to deliver the miracle via a Elon Musk car and we all applaud and upload the COVID 19 tracker and let the government take more authoritarian action.
Either way we need economic prosperity and social stability or it all goes down hill.
We still need education, jobs, income, healthcare, a dwelling to live, food and fun...otherwise you will get social unrest.....obedience to a system is fine but unless there is a reward or a life worth living what is the point.

Keep safe and healthy.
» Eddie Hall vs Thor Björnsson boxing match (Go to post)18-05-2020 @ 16:26 
I watched the WSM 2017 Viking Press behind the scenes footage this morning.

Eddie Hall won the World's Strongest Man 2017 fair and square.
I thought it then and I this just reinforces the fact.

It was unfair on both Hall and Bryce some of that bad feeling and moaning by the Thor and his team.

Surely in sport you must show respect and dignity in both winning and defeat.

Both Hall and Thor are excellent strongman and this moaning was sad to see.

Interesting the comments by the other competitors at WSM 2017.

Hall won and the numbers on the board at the end of all events speak for themselves.
» coronavirus (Go to post)11-05-2020 @ 17:42 
Stay Alert - Control The Virus - Save Lives - The English Government.

Stay at Home - Protest the NHS - Save Lives - The Scotland, Irish and Welsh Governments.

Great to see a united and together UK.

Local councillors, national, international governments are all the same it is about their powers and their own egos.
For crying out loud have one message for the UK and work together this is bigger than any one leader and any party.

Why cannot they all come together.

It has been a fire fight from the start and it will be a fire fight until the end.
Nothing but inept handling.

My policy would be simple for the new system.
Protect who needs to be protected.
Who is at risk and make this very clear and how to reduce the risk.

Changes to the current system :-
Premiership footballers and TV persons on the living wage.
All celebrity on the living wage or do a proper job and
contribute to society.
Remove the cameras and stop filming from Love Island but do not tell them.
BBC scrap it completely or pay for view, the licence is now scrapped.
NHS nurses and healthcare workers paid a decent wage, a scale below a doctor.
All stupid boob jobs, face lifts and other stupid operations by the NHS are no longer available on the NHS.
You must earn respect.
Ban Amazon and the like.
Bring back National service.
Stop knife crime by capital punishment for all offenders.
Buy local and support your community.
You must own a barbell for tax relief.
You cannot wear gloves in the gym or if you do you will face a large fine.

Other policy will follow in due course.
» coronavirus (Go to post)07-05-2020 @ 17:38 
Okay Rick your point is taken.

My point is on food standards, animal welfare and hygiene.

The wet food markets in question is not the same standard to my local butcher or grocer, and I sure the hygiene rating is not even rated to any international standard.

Your point might be relevant Will on the lab, but this is still not proven.

Either way if the virus has come from a wet food market or the lab it is negligence and the country responsible is liable.

I will await the post COVID 19 investigation to see who really is responsible if there is an investigation at the end of all of this sorry mess.
» coronavirus (Go to post)06-05-2020 @ 11:58 
Whether the virus came from a wet food market or a lab, it is negligence and the country responsible is liable for the global death rate and the world wide economy crash.

This requires an international court of law and countries to come together to create an international investigation and a international court of law for the
outbreak and prosecution to the country responsible for this negligence.

Keeping seafood, wildlife and live stock in the conditions in a wet food market is unacceptable in the 21st century.

If from the lab this is also unacceptable.

Also the World Health Organisation leaders should resign with immediate effect they have handled the pandemic with complete incompetence.
» Eddie Hall vs Thor Björnsson boxing match (Go to post)05-05-2020 @ 15:58 
On the point of Mariusz Pudzianowski in MMA, he was okay.
Not a Brock Lesnar, Mark Hunt or Jon Jones but reasonable and he had some good skills.

I will keep to my point boxers stick to boxing, and strongmen stick to strongman.

At an elite level in MMA or Boxing any leading world class fighter would beat a strongman competitor.

I take the point about Thor's reach but you need the fundamental skills and the conditioning in boxing/MMA, both men would need to train in a completely different way, lose body fat and learn the boxing trade.

This cannot be another Lenny Mclean v Roy Shaw second rate boxing event.
Any world class boxer in their weight would beat either of those two.

Surely in the 21st century we are better than this.
Do it for charity in a fun way or not do it at all.

Please keep the integrity of professional strongman and boxing.

The greats of boxing :- Ali, Sugar Ray, Duran, Hearns, Tyson, Hagler, Mayweather, Calzaghe etc

The greats of strongman :- Savickas, Pudzianowski, Kazmaier, Shaw, Magnusson etc

Improve in your sport you excel in and become a great in the sport.
» Eddie Hall vs Thor Björnsson boxing match (Go to post)05-05-2020 @ 10:18 
Boxing should be for Boxers
Strongman for Strongmen

You will have cross over or sports that have a synergy.

Powerlifting can cross over to Strongman or vice versa
Jiu Jitsu/Karate/Boxing/Wrestling can cross over to MMA
Karting can lead to Motor Car Racing
the list goes on

A lot of American Baseball/American Football players are multi talented to both sports and there is a list of these talented sportsmen.

I just see this as money making and not what these two are talented for, they are World Class strongmen and their expertise is pushing, pulling and lifting heavy stuff, I respect what they have both achieved in the world of Strongman.

As for this boxing event it should be for charity if they are doing it as the event is organised with COVID 19 in the background and it not a professional boxing match more like a white collar charity event with two famous strongmen in the ring.
» Again faster (Go to post)01-05-2020 @ 17:19 
I would check where they are made ?

I think they import a lot of their equipment from China, like the Strength Shop.
The quality is not the same as Rogue and in my opinion an inferior quality, my personal opinion but based on a quality assessment and the specification.

Check the detail and where they are manufactured.

Personally I prefer :-

Rogue Equipment USA manufactured equipment
Kustom Kit Gym Equipment British Manufactured equipment
Watson Gym British manufactured equipment
» coronavirus (Go to post)30-04-2020 @ 16:33 
Willsan,

It is possible but so is it possible that its zoonosis and came just like the bubonic plaque, the Spanish flu of 1918, tuberculosis, lyme disease, rabies and AIDS.

Mother nature can do a good job on its own without mans helping hand.

However in this COVID 19 outbreak a lot is still unknown and not yet confirmed without documentary evidence and clear facts no one knows and might never know the real truth behind the origin.

There is a saying in the field of medicine and science :-

"If you've seen one pandemic, you're seen...one pandemic."
» coronavirus (Go to post)28-04-2020 @ 16:46 
Over 100 health workers have died (I do not know the exact figure) but this is a serious pathogen and it must be dealt with by the science.
Over 100 health workers do not die like this in a normal year.

My heart and my total respect go out all the health workers.

We can all question all the governments response and their sheer lack of pandemic planning or the cut backs made to manufacturing and PPE equipment.
I for one am very critical of all global governments and their investments in war machines but not health care or pandemic planning.
But now we are where we are, what we need now is a clear plan to move forward.
If it is the vaccine before we go back to 100% then the government better have a adult conversation with the people on how we can have some sort of economy with some sort of passport to work with a phased approach and a safe method of working.

On the point of bat soup or a lab leak without documentary evidence and solid facts it is just babble and jabber.

My respect and honour to health workers who lost their lives and I will raise a barbell tonight in my garage to you all and the other health workers still on the front line.

All of this is unacceptable in the 21st century with the wealth in world.

Keep safe everyone.
» coronavirus (Go to post)27-04-2020 @ 13:06 
Everyone is making good valid points on this forum and open debate is a good thing.

All the scientists and all global politicians are simply overwhelmed.
Not one country was ready for the next global pandemic, not one.

The WHO got it wrong, the richest country on earth USA got it wrong.
Europe got it wrong and China might have been hiding the truth or not giving the whole truth.
COVID 19 is travelling around the World and no one yet has the solution.

There is hope if we get over all the waves, because all pandemics follow four stages :- The spark, the growth, the peak and then the decline.
In some cases these stages can appear multiple times hence the worry about a second wave and then a third wave like the Spanish Flu of 1918.

The issue is time line and what the economy, the world will look like at the end and what damage is done in terms of health, death, social and financial factors.

We do need to know why it took off like it did and how it started and who was responsible as then outbreak science and global governments can seek damages and negligence on a scale unseen since the World War Two, reparations and industrial assets will be claimed against those responsible and found negligent.

Relationships and business as normal will not be possible due to the sheer destruction caused, a new system will need to be found, far more in depth and more a conscious approach to consumption.

New supply chains, more ethical supply chains.
Environment and sustainable purchasing, globalisation turned on its head in innovate ways.
We must re-think cheap and expensive.

There must be change for the sake of the planet and our health.

If the virus is zoonotic we cannot destroy ecosystem like we are, it the virus is a SARS engineered virus then those responsible must be liable for the damage done to the planet and the human race.

Keep safe.
» coronavirus (Go to post)27-04-2020 @ 10:11 
Danny you make some valid points on the economy and the impact and that will be difficult to manage, we need an exit plan and some clever development to get out of this.

We do not know the complete science of COVID 19 :-

-Can you get re-infected ?
-Are we immune to re-infection ?
-How many of us has had ?
-Where did it come from wet market or was it a SARS virus engineered ?
-All other crowd diseases have been controlled and in some cases conquered.
-This could be different, at this stage do not know, sorry we need more detailed information and investigation work.

My final point on the economy would be this, the reason for the "Lockdown" was to protect the NHS. My opinion and the irony would now be lets go back to what Attlee/Bevan did and put in place a complete re-building of the UK and nationalisation programme, manufacture here not in China, re-build, grow, plant and work on a new system and remove greed and capitalism....Boris and Co would need to go, a little like Churchill had to after the war. History is a good gauge for the future.....You may say I am a dreamer but I am not the only one.

Keep safe all and we will get over this and maybe the World will wake up to a better system.

You are here: HomeForumslow_lift_joe → View All Posts
Return to top View Desktop Site