JamieGIcon...30-11-2013 @ 13:01 
Tom's CNS is better than steroids
Member 2886, 2973 posts
SQ 190, BP 122.5, DL 210
522.5 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
PaulSavageIcon...30-11-2013 @ 13:02 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
JackRevans said:
so you catch fish and then don't eat them?

This was when I was a youth, I rarely fish now, but I was a match fisherman, if I caught the fish and ate it I would have blanked every match.
Fluffy_DorkyIcon...30-11-2013 @ 13:03 
Member 3325, 520 posts
SQ 81, BP 40, DL 120
241.0 kgs @ 62.2kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 30.11.2013 @ 13:09 PM by Fluffy_Dorky
drew said:My cousin has recently become a vegan. She is putting stuff up on fb that I disagree with. Ie meat been bad for you

I know theres some keen nutritionists here. Has anyone any info on proper studies regarding veganism omnivorism benefits of saturated fats or particularly poignant phrases?

basically I want to win

I am vegan and don't think it's a either or answer in which you can win. For me veganism is not about whether meat is bad for me,(in my view it's clearly bad for the animals since there being in my diet necessitates their life being extinguished,clearly bad for them, as well as the added dimension of the crappy life they have before death).Your cousin may see her posts as educative or be trying to win people over to veganism via the self interest imperative of meat being bad for you.

People, including athletes, can thrive on both an omnivorous diet or a vegan diet.You can find scientific studies supporting the meat is bad for you and the meat is good for you positions.A vegan diet *could* consist purely of McDonald's fries and processed food just as a poorly chosen omni diet could have a poor nutritional profile.

However as numerous studies have demonstrated positive associations consumption of meat and animal products and incidence of various cancers, your cousin has some basis to her claim.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources/diet-cancer/facts/...

Leaving the vegan diet of fries aside, a well planned vegan diet is not inferior to one which includes meat.

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19562864/

She's probably just being passionate about her new choices and if they annoy you etc you could post pro meat stuff but this could degenerate and affect your relationship or take the diplomatic route and just ignore or unsubscribe from her updates.
WaterfieIdIcon...30-11-2013 @ 13:17 
Member 4114, 355 posts
Post Edited: 30.11.2013 @ 13:17 PM by WaterfieId
inb4 china "study"
CalisIcon...30-11-2013 @ 13:17 
Member 1911, 6 posts
Fluffy_Dorky said:
I am vegan and don't think it's a either or answer in which you can win. For me veganism is not about whether meat is bad for me,(in my view it's clearly bad for the animals since there being in my diet necessitates their life being extinguished,clearly bad for them, as well as the added dimension of the crappy life they have before death).Your cousin may see her posts as educative or be trying to win people over to veganism via the self interest imperative of meat being bad for you.
People, including athletes, can thrive on both an omnivorous diet or a vegan diet.You can find scientific studies supporting the meat is bad for you and the meat is good for you positions.A vegan diet *could* consist purely of McDonald's fries and processed food just as a poorly chosen omni diet could have a poor nutritional profile.
However as numerous studies have demonstrated positive associations consumption of meat and animal products and incidence of various cancers, your cousin has some basis to her claim.
Leaving the vegan diet of fries aside, a well planned vegan diet is not inferior to one which includes meat.
"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."
She's probably just being passionate about her new choices and if they annoy you etc you could post pro meat stuff but this could degenerate and affect your relationship or take the diplomatic route and just ignore or unsubscribe from her updates.

Well it took three pages, but we've got a sensible answer!
drewIcon...30-11-2013 @ 13:21 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
Fluffy_Dorky said:

Thanks for that. See theres 1 point here that I think I have an issue with

the thought that her new interest (or anyone elses) should be pushed onto me. I dont do the same to her and I think its a pretty s**tty attitude to have. Unfortunately as jack experienced one that people in a minority try to often do
Fluffy_DorkyIcon...30-11-2013 @ 13:35 
Member 3325, 520 posts
SQ 81, BP 40, DL 120
241.0 kgs @ 62.2kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 30.11.2013 @ 13:36 PM by Fluffy_Dorky
o
drew said:
Thanks for that. See theres 1 point here that I think I have an issue with
the thought that her new interest (or anyone elses) should be pushed onto me. I dont do the same to her and I think its a pretty s**tty attitude to have. Unfortunately as jack experienced one that people in a minority try to often do

I agree pushing new interests onto others is not the way to go but imo people do post all kinds of random stuff that matters to them on their Facebook pages, as they are free to do so long as it's not illegal! If she's posting it directly to your wall then that's another matter and a polite word should suffice. Drunken nights out, pet pics, motivational gym pics, political and charitable links all pop up in my feed from friends including pics of animal meals from fitness sites . I just hide the stuff I don't like or want to see.
drewIcon...30-11-2013 @ 13:45 
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
Fluffy_Dorky said:o
I agree pushing new interests onto others is not the way to go but imo people do post all kinds of random stuff that matters to them on their Facebook pages, as they are free to do so long as it's not illegal! If she's posting it directly to your wall then that's another matter and a polite word should suffice. Drunken nights out, pet pics, motivational gym pics, political and charitable links all pop up in my feed from friends including pics of animal meals from fitness sites . I just hide the stuff I don't like or want to see.

Fair enough. I agree with your mindset

I think she is borderline pissing me off and thays the issue
martinbIcon...30-11-2013 @ 14:16 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
It all makes sense now

Veganism is the answer to Pauls greatness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlWkv1kL5kg&feature=youtube_gda...
VanillaGorillaIcon...30-11-2013 @ 14:24 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
PaulSavage said:
1 vs 1 million comes from where?

f**king lol!

Proved my point for me thanks! Grin
MattD90Icon...30-11-2013 @ 14:37 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.02.2021 @ 22:38 PM by MattD90
PaulSavage said:
I meant as in my body/the way I work.
Personally a million articles arguing for us being omnivores wouldn't make any odds. Imo we evolved from herbivores, and we are herbivores and I feel all evidence suggests this.
PaulSavageIcon...30-11-2013 @ 14:47 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
MattD90 said:
I have little to add to the debate other than this notion of humans having the "same" type of digestive system as herbivores is completely wrong lol. From teeth right to ar****le we are completely different

That's exactly false.

My mum's argument was that we are made to eat meat for sure and it's obvious because of our teeth, my response was to ask if she had looked at the teeth of a gorilla. All the time I get people asking how the heck can I be a vegetarian, and saying I'll lose muscle and strength etc it's the opposite that's true. The most recent one is that I'm not getting enough iron, even though 70% of iron rich foods are vegetarian.
dan302Icon...30-11-2013 @ 15:00 
i shy away from hard work
Member 549, 2761 posts
SQ 250, BP 132.5, DL 282.5
665.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
most great apes inc gorillas and chimps will eat meat given the chance, also from an "animals being killed" perspective the levels of agriculture needed to feed people.....vegens included, decimates huge amounts of animals life.....just saying
Fluffy_DorkyIcon...30-11-2013 @ 15:10 
Member 3325, 520 posts
SQ 81, BP 40, DL 120
241.0 kgs @ 62.2kgs UnEq
dan302 said:most great apes inc gorillas and chimps will eat meat given the chance, also from an "animals being killed" perspective the levels of agriculture needed to feed people.....vegens included, decimates huge amounts of animals life.....just saying

Yes, however this can be tempered by the point that on average, a farmed animal has to eat 10kg of plant protein in order to make 1kg of meat, if the same land was used to grow crops for people to eat, it would be ten times more productive.
drewIcon...30-11-2013 @ 15:13 
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
Fluffy_Dorky said:
Yes, however this can be tempered by the point that on average, a farmed animal has to eat 10kg of plant protein in order to make 1kg of meat, if the same land was used to grow crops for people to eat, it would be ten times more productive.

But only 100th of the awesome taste of meat Happy

You are here: HomeForumNutritionveganism
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions