REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 185 guests

would like like to see atleast some kind of British strongman title?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

elitestrongmanIconwould like like to see atleast some kind of British strongman title?18-05-2010 @ 09:15 
thats the way I do it, don't like it not my prob
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
Please give your feed back.

Would you surpport a new British title or do you want BSM only?
craigmancIcon...18-05-2010 @ 09:40 
not much fun
Member 374, 3172 posts
I think everybody would support it Bob!!

But how many more does there need to be? If only Uk's and BSM were concentraited on they would be great like back in the late 80's/90's
BigLozIcon...18-05-2010 @ 09:42 
The Banker Spanker
Member 656, 373 posts
SQ 350, BP 200, DL 382.5
932.5 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
It needs to be a big deal. Not just a comp in a carpark. there are so many contests now that winning a title dosnt have as much value as before. Last year you had Jimmy as UKs champ, I won your Englands (which has been running for years) Terry won the other Englands, Jimmy still gets called BSM as he was the last person to win it.

If its going to be done you need good Events (thats the easy bit) but they need to look good for people watching and be heavy with a mix of explosive, movement, Static and endurance events.

You need a large crowd, good prize's and the best athletes. You have always been good at doing qualifiers for new people coming through so its improtant to give new guys a chance to make it. The problem is most of the top guys wont do qualifiers as they have alot of comps so you would need to invite the top few and then run qualifiers or have a 2day contest, invite anyone on the 1st day, do 3-4 events and cut the list to 10 for day 2.

Loz
ThingIcon...18-05-2010 @ 09:48 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
elitestrongman said:Please give your feed back.

Would you surpport a new British title or do you want BSM only?

well is BSM owned By a media company or colin Bryce? as there seems to be a problem with money when trying to get this comp together.

what about the Strongest Man In Britain title as a new way to see who is the top strongman in the country.

if there could be a better relationship between Glenn and the other organizers in the UK regarding the UK strongest man would this not be better than making up and new title for the same thing.

but at the end of the Day every one know the BSM title
terryhollandsIcon...18-05-2010 @ 11:46 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Agree with everything Loz said!
terryhollandsIcon...18-05-2010 @ 11:46 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Thing said:
well is BSM owned By a media company or colin Bryce? as there seems to be a problem with money when trying to get this comp together.

It is owned by IMG the same company that run WSM
VinnyfromCustardLandIcon...18-05-2010 @ 12:03 
JEDWARD
Member 454, 980 posts
SQ 225, BP 170, DL 275
670.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
Wikipedia says:
Trans World International (TWI) is the event arm of IMG

Was just looking up the relationship.
JCIcon...18-05-2010 @ 12:31 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
I also think for the prestige BSM (or whateva it is to be called) need to lead to a qualification spot to Worlds

Top 5 would qualify and TBH, to make sure EVERY elite Brit did it, I think TWI should make that the only avenue to WSM for the Brits (I think the same should apply to other countries)

Won't happen, but is my 'ideal world' scenario
BigTIcon...18-05-2010 @ 13:55 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
If BSM was to happen again, the top 4 from each qualifier should go through to get some new blood through, like ESM, instead of the same 2 year in, year out.

Could have it called Britain's Mightiest Man, or something along those lines and link it in with some of the other international organisations so it leads on to huge things. There are some awesome promotors in this country and if they were to work together........who knows how good it could be.

Loz has made a great post.
elitestrongmanIcon...18-05-2010 @ 15:22 
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
BigLoz said:It needs to be a big deal. Not just a comp in a carpark. there are so many contests now that winning a title dosnt have as much value as before. Last year you had Jimmy as UKs champ, I won your Englands (which has been running for years) Terry won the other Englands, Jimmy still gets called BSM as he was the last person to win it.

If its going to be done you need good Events (thats the easy bit) but they need to look good for people watching and be heavy with a mix of explosive, movement, Static and endurance events.

You need a large crowd, good prize's and the best athletes. You have always been good at doing qualifiers for new people coming through so its improtant to give new guys a chance to make it. The problem is most of the top guys wont do qualifiers as they have alot of comps so you would need to invite the top few and then run qualifiers or have a 2day contest, invite anyone on the 1st day, do 3-4 events and cut the list to 10 for day 2.

Loz

I totally agree with you mate, In 2006/2007 England's was in Stoke, at Hanly park great venue, Huge crowd of 4000 watching strongman. In the past the UKS and BSM have had crowds of a 200/300, I not saying I want a 3rd title, but with only UKs strongest man last year and from what i hear NO sign of BSM this year again.

I also agree with the invite and qualifiers, I would take the top 6 athletes and mix than with the qualifiers so the NEW KIDS N THE BLOCK, are given the chance to knock the old boys off the block!

Glenn Ross has the rights to UKs strongest man, MIG or TWI own the rigths to Britian's strongest man, so it would have to be a NEW TITLE, ther has always being two titles in each sport,
Football has league & cup
boxing two many to name
MMA two many to name
powerlifting Loads
etc etc etc

If people think its a waste of time tell me. I must say that the 2010 England's strongest man will still be going ahead, As Loz said its being running for a few years now.

Bob Daglish.
elitestrongmanIcon...18-05-2010 @ 15:28 
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
Sorry but I must point out that venues cost money and with the world being what it is now, money is short.
I must point out that the Bodypower people wanted us to do the strongman for FREE this year, As the athlete who know me are always taken care of when competeing in our competitions!
The hotel rooms alone at last years event came to just over £1000
terryhollandsIcon...18-05-2010 @ 17:13 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Trouble is I for one wouldn't be there if I had an international clashing with the contest. Without some decent prize money it just wouldn't be worth my while. I know to some this may sound a bit arrogant but strongman is my job and I have to look at it that way. I wouldn't do a British comp to possibly win £300 when I can go abroad and win nearly 10 times that.

I know to some it might seem like winning a British title should mean something but to me unless it is BSM I'm not that worried hence why I haven't been to the UK's the last few years. Not that I am saying this is a bad idea, I think it would be great if it could happen but just saying how i feel with regards to prize money etc.
BigTIcon...18-05-2010 @ 17:17 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
I think if we were to have another National title, and to take Strongman forward, the prize money does need to get better.

However, as Bob says, there isn't much about. Could get round this by having sponsors for each event and for "one to watch" prizes, etc, thus the total is still large but the individual cost to the sponsor is kept down.
LukeIcon...18-05-2010 @ 19:04 
Member 1227, 152 posts
If you could get all the top guys there and tv coverage then it would be well worth it or though I know thats unlikely.

Is there no chance you could maybe team up with Colin Bryce and run the 'real bsm' to keep costs down?
elitestrongmanIcon...18-05-2010 @ 19:31 
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
Luke said:If you could get all the top guys there and tv coverage then it would be well worth it or though I know thats unlikely.

Is there no chance you could maybe team up with Colin Bryce and run the 'real bsm' to keep costs down?

Colin Bryce has looked into running BSM but has too much on and the money is a big prob as the title owmers want a big wag of cash,

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions