REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 290 guests

Doesn't life suck when you don't know which camp your in?!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Wayne_CowdreyIcon...05-05-2010 @ 22:57 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22056 posts
bignige1986 said:
Phil currently has a back injury but deadlifts 380kg i think which is 836lbs !! Ive seen him do reps with 350 so id say he's in 800lb club atleast Happy

I think he's on around 330 these days. Yes, he has a back injury.

Tarmo Mitt, Sebastian Wenta and Florian Trimpl are 3 more examples off the top of my head. All below 800lbs I believe.
MattGriffIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:03 
Member 194, 3976 posts
Stetec said:
And to say that body building isn't a sport because the result is subjective, how many olympic events does that rule out? Boxing, gymnastics, diving etc etc.

You can't say that anything judged isn't a sport.

This is taking a literal stance on things, consider said events

gymnastics - atheletes can do all manner of flippy s**t and have to as part of thier performance

Boxing - one must prove through either KO or points which is based upon who lands the most punches to the target area - that is what the judges are for - this is measurable.

Diving - again flippy bas***ds - rated on execution of technical dives

So what is the common theme with these over bodybuilders? Thier fitness is tested, thier athletic ability is tested and ultimatly they are judged on a performance or ability to 'do something'

Bodybuilding they bulk up in their own time, cut up etc, and then do nominated poses for comparison etc - this is not testing anyones athletic ability or ability to actually do something.
I don't doubt they have to work to get to that condition, but are they landing more punches? are they demonstrating that thier athletic ability at the time of comparison through execution or ability is greater?
Simply put no.
StetecIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:13 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Admittedly its a hard one to call and a debate that will go on and on.

But, you could argue that the final product on which they are judged is the result of the hard work that has already been done. It is based on the opinion of more that one judge.

Ie: final positions awarded reflect the effort put in and knowledge displayed to arrive in the condition that they do.

So the hard work is done before the judges see them, but has been done none the less.

The judges see the final product, the sum of all that hard work.

As a final product, you're right, it can't be compared to strongman where the end result is absolute.

But in terms of effort involved training wise, there's a damn sight more time spent working hard in the gym and planning nutrition as a bodybuilder than a strongman which is in relatively shorter bursts with heavier weights.

Just an observation/opinion btw as I'm on neither side of the fence it would seem!
MarsbarIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:14 
Is a gay bodybuilder
Member 39, 423 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
MattGriff said:
but are they landing more punches? are they demonstrating that thier athletic ability at the time of comparison through execution or ability is greater?
Simply put no.

I actually agree with you on that point but to state that what they do in order to achieve that level of size and conditioning, and I'm talking competitive bodybuilding, isn't hard is bo***cks.

What is harder about strongman than bodybuilding? Do strongmen train harder? some will some won't? are strongmen more athletic? some are some aren't?
is strongman more impressive to the general public? to some it will be to others it won't.

The degree of difficulty/which one is harder sports is subjective and we could argue about this until the cows come home but the one thing both bodybuilding and strength sports should have in common is a love of the iron.
bignige1986Icon...05-05-2010 @ 23:19 
Taleban says his views on women are extreme
Member 639, 3518 posts
SQ 10, BP 10, DL 10
30.0 kgs @ 10kgs Eq
1 word to finish the debate over there size etc 'synthol' Jay cutler in particular is a admitted synthol abuser to anyone who isnt too clued up synthol is basically fake muscle its what greg valentino pumped into his biceps to look like a complete tit
StetecIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:21 
Member 354, 1452 posts
What Marsbar said.

I'll tell you whats strange though, bodybuilding/strongman/weight lifting: such similar activities when it comes to training, ie: lifting heavy objects as many times as we can etc etc. But subtle differences such as amount of weight used, reps and sets completed etc etc produce such different results.

And Matt, you say that bodybuilding (whens its at the competative/judged level at least) is so different to strongman, it isn't really.

Both are about showing in front of a bunch of similar minded folk that we are better at what we do than the man standing next to us trying to do the same thing.
StetecIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:24 
Member 354, 1452 posts
bignige1986 said:1 word to finish the debate over there size etc 'synthol' Jay cutler in particular is a admitted synthol abuser to anyone who isnt too clued up synthol is basically fake muscle its what greg valentino pumped into his biceps to look like a complete tit

Yeah that's a different argument altogether though. Lets, face it, at the top level of either body building or strongman theres a heck of a lot of substances being used to produce the results needed to win.

Theres a fine line between use and abuse as we all know. And Greg Valentino doesn't represent any self respecting body builder or the industry. The guy had/has mental health problems.
MattGriffIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:25 
Member 194, 3976 posts
Stetec said:And Matt, you say that bodybuilding (whens its at the competative/judged level at least) is so different to strongman, it isn't really.

Both are about showing in front of a bunch of similar minded folk that we are better at what we do than the man standing next to us trying to do the same thing.

Lol - biggest cop out statement I have heard on here in a good while.

This statement being such a blanket one would mean that chess masters are the same as strongmen etc - your talking about any solo sport or quasai sport in saying that - the basis of which is competiton.
MarsbarIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:25 
Is a gay bodybuilder
Member 39, 423 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
bignige1986 said:1 word to finish the debate over there size etc 'synthol' Jay cutler in particular is a admitted synthol abuser to anyone who isnt too clued up synthol is basically fake muscle its what greg valentino pumped into his biceps to look like a complete tit

what bearing does that have on anything? The majority of their size will come from a combintaion of freakish genetics, training, diet steroids, GH and insulin (much like strongmen perhaps minus the insulin). But I forgot .. it's only bb'ers who use drugs .. all strongmen and powerlifters are natural and don't need that s**t lol.

yes pro's use synthol to bring up weak areas or stretch the fascia but all they are doing is using the tools they have at their disposal.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:26 
Member 400, 22056 posts
bignige1986 said:
1 word to finish the debate over there size etc 'synthol' Jay cutler in particular is a admitted synthol abuser to anyone who isnt too clued up synthol is basically fake muscle its what greg valentino pumped into his biceps to look like a complete tit

This "sport" has gone way too far! Guys are injecting "fake muscle" into their muscles?? Madness.
MarsbarIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:28 
Is a gay bodybuilder
Member 39, 423 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
This "sport" has gone way too far! Guys are injecting "fake muscle" into their muscles?? Madness.

no they site inject oil in to stretch the muscle - but as always some people take it too far i.e greg valentino
bignige1986Icon...05-05-2010 @ 23:29 
Taleban says his views on women are extreme
Member 639, 3518 posts
SQ 10, BP 10, DL 10
30.0 kgs @ 10kgs Eq
Marsbar said:
what bearing does that have on anything? The majority of their size will come from a combintaion of freakish genetics, training, diet steroids, GH and insulin (much like strongmen perhaps minus the insulin). But I forgot .. it's only bb'ers who use drugs .. all strongmen and powerlifters are natural and don't need that s**t lol.
yes pro's use synthol to bring up weak areas or stretch the fascia but all they are doing is using the tools they have at their disposal.

Ye we use gear for strength gains to improve performance

But filling the muscle with oil to increase the size allthough its 'fake' lets be honest bit of a difference !!

And bbers are by far the biggest abusers by FAR ! FACT
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:29 
Member 400, 22056 posts
Marsbar said:
no they site inject oil in to stretch the muscle

I still think that's entering the realms of silliness.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:30 
Member 400, 22056 posts
bignige1986 said:
Ye we use gear for strength gains to improve performance

Not all of us.
StetecIcon...05-05-2010 @ 23:35 
Member 354, 1452 posts
MattGriff said:
Lol - biggest cop out statement I have heard on here in a good while.
This statement being such a blanket one would mean that chess masters are the same as strongmen etc - your talking about any solo sport or quasai sport in saying that - the basis of which is competiton.

Say what?! How so? As a competative body builder, you'd be on stage saying I'm better at what I do than your competitor. Same as strongman. You're saying or attempting to prove in competition that you're better at what you do than the guys you're competing against. Hows that a cop out? The aim is still the same and yes, other sports/competitions/activities have similarities there.

But getting back to body building/strongman. The only real differences in training are amount of weight moved and sets/reps completed, not taking into account isolation exercises.

And the end results are still about saying I'm better than the next competitor.

Which ones harder? That debate will go on.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, I'll check in tomorrow and see if we're any further on lol!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions