BigTIconNorth East's Strongest Man02-09-2009 @ 07:40 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
Events: North East Strongest man 2009

Venue: The Green, Billingham

Date: Sunday 13 September 2009

Start time: 1pm

1. Truck pull

The athlete will wear a harness and upon the referee’s command pull a 11.5/18 tonne truck over a 25metre course. The front of the truck must cross the finishing line to stop the clock. The competitor with the fastest time wins

Weight: tonne

Course 25 metres

Time limit 90 seconds

2: Over head (press) medley

The athlete will start in a standing position in front of the first item, a beer keg. Upon the referee’s command, the athlete will begin lifting the keg. The athlete will press the keg above his head until the elbows are locked (this will be done on each of the four items in the medley). Each of the four items must be held in this position until the referee acknowledges the lift as a GOOD LIFT. Than the athlete must lower the equipment in a control manner to the floor. Before moving onto the next item to be lifted. A time will be taken on each item when the referee says GOOD LIFT. The athlete with the fastest time for all four items wins, or the fastest time taken on each item.

Items & weight. Keg 90kg, Log 110kg, Axle 120kg & pendulum press 130kg

Time limit: 75 seconds

3: Flip

Each competitor must flip a tyre 15 meters the time will stop when the competitor completes the flips the whole of the tyre over the finishing line. The fastest time wins. If course not competed, the number of flips a competitor completes. (In the event of two competitors of the same number of flips the points will be shaved.).
Time limit: 90 seconds

Course: 15 metres

4. Cross walk

Each competitor must lift the Elite Cross (210 kilo’s) from a stand and carry the cross down a 25 metre course. The competitor must cross each finishing line with both feet, before he can continue back down the course. The competitor who carries the cross for the longest distance wins

Time limit: none

Weight: 210kgs

5. Loading

4 items are to be loaded in ascending order, onto the platform in the upright position, in the fastest time possible. Times will be taken when each item is placed onto the platform. Competitors who successfully lift all 4 items will be scored according to time. Items falling off the sides, back or front of the platform must be replaced by the competitor before continuing onto the next item. In the event of all 4 items not being loaded a time will be given on the last item loaded by the competitor. In the event of any competitor failing to lift all items a time is given on his last item loaded. Fastest time wins. Items: tree stump 95kg, sand bag 100kg, wagon wheel 100kg & keg 105kg (these items are subject to change)

Course: 5 metres

athletes:

Dave McAneney (champion)

Mark Lawson

Scott Heaton

Gary Garnder

Mick Ashurst

Tom Shaw

Bob Round

Steve Roll

Lee Bowers

Steve Bracewell

Tom Scarth
JoniIcon...02-09-2009 @ 15:45 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
familiar looking events Wink

good luck to all SB guys competing & Veteran Lee as well Happy
BigTIcon...02-09-2009 @ 19:41 
Member 799, 1484 posts
Hehehe,

Yep they changed and look alot like our show from Sunday! Big difference with the cross though and the press is heavier. My bet is the loading will change and be heavier or have more items.

Was looking forward to the deadlift to be honest, but these events kind of suit me, apart from the cross and the medley!

Good luck to all involved, should be a good show.

BT
BigTIcon...07-09-2009 @ 15:46 
Member 799, 1484 posts
Post Edited: 07.09.2009 @ 15:47 PM by BigT
An update from Bob; looks good!

Just a little update and a few changes to events etc:

1: Over head (press) medley (items order has changed as has the weights)
The athlete will start in a standing position in front of the first item, a beer keg. Upon the referee’s command, the athlete will begin lifting the keg. The athlete will press the keg above his head until the elbows are locked (this will be done on each of the four items in the medley). Each of the four items must be held in this position until the referee acknowledges the lift as a GOOD LIFT. Than the athlete must lower the equipment in a control manner to the floor.(there will be a 5 secs penlty if referee thinks athlete has drop the equipment) Before moving onto the next item to be lifted. A time will be taken on each item when the referee says GOOD LIFT. The athlete with the fastest time for all four items wins, or the fastest time taken on each item.
Items & weight. Keg 90kg, Log 110kg, Axle 120kg & pendulum press 130kg
Time limit: 75 seconds

2: Flip (this is now 10 flips)
Each competitor must flip the tyre 10 times, the time will stop when the competitor completes the 10th flip. The fastest time wins. If course not competed, the number of flips a competitor completes. (In the event of two competitors of the same number of flips the points will be shaved.).

Course:

3. Cross walk
Each competitor must lift the Elite Cross (210 kilo’s) from a stand and carry the cross down a 25 metre course. The competitor must cross each finishing line with both feet, before he can continue back down the course. The competitor who carries the cross for the longest distance wins
Time limit: none
Weight: 210kgs

4. Loading (weigths have change)
4 items are to be loaded in ascending order, onto the platform in the upright position, in the fastest time possible. Times will be taken when each item is placed onto the platform. Competitors who successfully lift all 4 items will be scored according to time. Items falling off the sides, back or front of the platform must be replaced by the competitor before continuing onto the next item. In the event of all 4 items not being loaded a time will be given on the last item loaded by the competitor. In the event of any competitor failing to lift all items a time is given on his last item loaded. Fastest time wins. Items: tree stump 95kg, wagon wheel 100kg, sandbag 117kgs & keg 125kg (these items are subject to change)
Course: 5 metres

5. Truck pull (This is now the last event and is a 20 tonne truck)
The athlete will wear a harness and upon the referee’s command pull a 20 tonne truck over a 25metre course. The front of the truck must cross the finishing line to stop the clock. The competitor with the fastest time wins
Weight: 20 tonne
Course 25 metres
Time limit 90 seconds

May the strongest man win> Bob Dalish
BigTIcon...11-09-2009 @ 17:42 
Member 799, 1484 posts
Good luck to all those competing, and for those coming to watch I think it should be a good show and good weather.

BT
BigTIcon...14-09-2009 @ 09:45 
Member 799, 1484 posts
Post Edited: 14.09.2009 @ 09:47 AM by BigT
Results:

1st Dave
2nd Gary
3rd Mark
4th Tom (me)
5th Lee

Not sure after that. Was a really good comp, over and done in about 2 and a half hours. The weather just about held out for the duration and there was a good crowd.

A huge well done to my friend and training partner Dave on his win for the 3rd time; it was a pleasure to compete against him for the 1st time. Also, it was very nice to meet Lee for the 1st time, he is a total gent and a great athlete.

Press medley: bit of a weak point of mine, but hoped to get the 1st 3 items. Got the first 2, but struggled with the axle. By the time I got it ready to press I was bombed. A bit disapointed tbh.

Tyre: Strong event for me and it went well. Got 2nd on this I think.

Elite Cross: What a bas***d of an event, hehehe! Wanted a minimum of 25m for a first go in comp. Managed 38.5m, so well happy. Think I could have dug a bit deeper and got 50m, but who knows.

Loading: Another strong event for me, normally. Was loading from the left side, instead of the right which threw me a bit, then chined myself with the tyre as I was loading it! Doh. Think I got 4th on this.

Truck pull. This ended up being 23 tons! I am getting more comfortable and confident with this event, still only my 3rd truck pull. Went well at 27.93 secs, got 4th I think on this.

Overall, I was happy. Did this show a year earlier than planned, mainly just to test myself and it came good! I belive I could have done better in the events, probably not placings wise as the top 3 were on fire. Couldn't fully concentrate with the noise from one of the fair ground rides, even with my walkman on! Experience was gained and I will learn from my mistakes to put in a brutal winter training program so I am ready for next year.

A big thanks to Bob Daglish ffor organising the show, to his family and friends for crewing, time keeping and refereeing and to the supporters, family and friends who were there to shout and and encourage.

BT
JoniIcon...14-09-2009 @ 14:38 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
good work Tom.

Stop delaying your comps man Grin Just straight in to the mix!

"you snooze you lose"

All the best for the "off season".
BigTIcon...14-09-2009 @ 17:09 
Member 799, 1484 posts
Cheers Joni,

already focussed on the BSM North Qualifier in April (if its on!) Lots of hard work in the winter and then do my best. See you at some point mate.

BT
WILLSANIcon...14-09-2009 @ 17:36 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
well done tom!
BigTIcon...14-09-2009 @ 19:35 
Member 799, 1484 posts
Cheers Will,

BT