REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 191 guests

Pause vs normal squats

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

HUGE_GUYIconPause vs normal squats24-09-2015 @ 10:11 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
Post Edited: 24.09.2015 @ 10:13 AM by HUGE_GUY
Firstly, my goal is just to get strong. Not to lift the most weight in any specific style of squats.

After 3 years i've decided to try Olympic style again and i'm struggling with the form so i already want to switch back. What do people think are the benefits of olympic style vs full paused squats? I'm currently doing paused front squats, oly squats and high box squats.

Edit
I've started off with the same weight as my paused squat. Knees shaky, falling forward, not feeling comfy trying to 'bounce'
AdamTIcon...24-09-2015 @ 10:23 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
Pause squats for me. Preferbly beltless as well.

I haven't tried a max in a while, but I can tell my squat is way up with reps.

I pause at a good depth and think speed. Explode for 2-3 reps per set.

If I work up to a heavy set of 3-5, then after that I maybe go between 65-85% of max then do a few pause sets for speed.

I notice now even if heavy weight feels heavy on my back, the extra speed work makes the ascend real easy. Obviously I have yet to try this with a real max, but I am hitting previous maxes for reps now.

Granted I am not strong, but squat was always an area I really struggled in, but the way training has been going I will soon catch my deadlift, when before there has always been a pretty big margin.
HUGE_GUYIcon...24-09-2015 @ 10:32 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
AdamT said:Pause squats for me. Preferbly beltless as well.

I haven't tried a max in a while, but I can tell my squat is way up with reps.

I pause at a good depth and think speed. Explode for 2-3 reps per set.

If I work up to a heavy set of 3-5, then after that I maybe go between 65-85% of max then do a few pause sets for speed.

I notice now even if heavy weight feels heavy on my back, the extra speed work makes the ascend real easy. Obviously I have yet to try this with a real max, but I am hitting previous maxes for reps now.

Granted I am not strong, but squat was always an area I really struggled in, but the way training has been going I will soon catch my deadlift, when before there has always been a pretty big margin.

Just had a look at your log. 4 sessions logged in a year!
155 squat then 100x10 paused....Jesus!
Is this what you still do? I'd rather a few sets of doubles.

AMH said something about switching off then exploding from box squats, learning to recruit more fibres. He says you cant do this in pause squats, but i can sit there as good as any Indian relaxed! I'm wondering if this is why i've found pause squats superior to strength gains.
AdamTIcon...24-09-2015 @ 11:49 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
Haha

I don't bother logging. Too many beasts on here, no point me putting up my crap numbers.
RobboIcon...24-09-2015 @ 12:22 
When I have enough cash, I get a deep tissue.
Member 465, 11029 posts
SQ 240, BP 175, DL 302.5
717.5 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
I really like pause squats, mainly as it helps me achieve the correct portion in the bottom. I drop back on weight and sit as low as i can and can really feel it pushing me into a more optimal position (I make adjustments quite often at the bottom to find this position)

I like to increase my pause squat over my normal squat as I can work harder and more often with a pause squat without it taxing me as much due to less weight used, and then use the increased strength in paused squat to carry over to my regular
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions