REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 245 guests

Tips for using legs effectively in deadlift

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

rawlifterIconTips for using legs effectively in deadlift17-06-2015 @ 12:48 
Member 5584, 304 posts
SQ 225, BP 157.5, DL 260
642.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Not sure I ever really feel myself engaging my legs on the deadlift - it always feels like hips and hamstrings and back.

Surely feel I can hit bigger numbers by driving more effectively with the legs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any cues, tips or exercises to invovle the legs more

*I lift conventional

Thanks,
OxmanIcon...17-06-2015 @ 12:58 
Likes tight rubber
Member 2981, 11067 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 192.5, DL 330
765.0 kgs @ 92.9kgs UnEq
rawlifter said:Not sure I ever really feel myself engaging my legs on the deadlift - it always feels like hips and hamstrings and back.

Surely feel I can hit bigger numbers by driving more effectively with the legs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any cues, tips or exercises to invovle the legs more

*I lift conventional

Thanks,

I am far from an expert mate but i have found deficit work has helped me get more leg drive into my lift, when i transfer back to normal height i can seem to engage legs better.

I also try to think about the start of the deadlift as a press, as in pressing feet throught the floor then once the bar passes my knee it turns into a pull.

I have found paused leg press also has a carryover to this process.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...17-06-2015 @ 13:10 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22049 posts
Flexibility is a factor here.
WesIcon...17-06-2015 @ 19:11 
31.6 and Obese !! Get in....
Member 869, 1355 posts
SQ 320, BP 200, DL 310
830.0 kgs @ 97.5kgs Eq
Oxman said:I also try to think about the start of the deadlift as a press, as in pressing feet throught the floor then once the bar passes my knee it turns into a pull.

Agreed, works a treat for me...
FazcIcon...17-06-2015 @ 19:25 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
It's very individual but what I've found is:

1) Start at the top with a slightly rounded upper back. This will pull the hips in closer to your centre of gravity at the start position.

2) With the hips pulled in have the bar set slightly away from the shins, this allows you to bend your legs and squat down into the bar. You'll pull with the shins touching the bar, but that will happen because you're actually bending your legs and NOT because the bar is just placed against your shins from the start.

3) The first part of the pull in this position should pretty much all be legs, then once it's moving you extend the back/hips to finish.

TLWinkR

- Set the bar away from your shins before you pull
- Bend your legs as you grip the bar making contact with the bar with your shins
- Bring the hips in closer by rounding upper back
EvisIcon...25-06-2015 @ 23:55 
Member 2202, 346 posts
SQ 282.5, BP 220, DL 320.5
823.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Your quads will never be a big part of a deadlift. Not a non-hitched conventional pull anyways.
JackRevansIcon...26-06-2015 @ 01:30 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Evis said:Your quads will never be a big part of a deadlift. Not a non-hitched conventional pull anyways.

This is what I was thinking. Even with sumo there's pretty much no quad involvement.
Ben_FIcon...26-06-2015 @ 08:46 
vegetarian with a big deadlift - who would have thought...
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:
Evis said:Your quads will never be a big part of a deadlift. Not a non-hitched conventional pull anyways.

This is what I was thinking. Even with sumo there's pretty much no quad involvement.

Interesting... a quick google search shows that there is plenty of quad activation in a deadlift...

More quads than hammies in this one...

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2012/12/03/musc...

And in this one looking at squats there is nearly as much quad activation in the deadlift study above as vastus medialis & lateralis activation in the squat...

http://www.hertssportsvillage.co.uk/downloads/The%20Effect%20o...

I don't have time to look further or in more detail right now but it is interesting.
DeanW92Icon...26-06-2015 @ 17:21 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.06.2015 @ 17:22 PM by DeanW92
Ben_F said:
Interesting... a quick google search shows that there is plenty of quad activation in a deadlift...
More quads than hammies in this one...
http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2012/12/03/musc...
And in this one looking at squats there is nearly as much quad activation in the deadlift study above as vastus medialis & lateralis activation in the squat...
http://www.hertssportsvillage.co.uk/downloads/The%20Effect%20o...
I don't have time to look further or in more detail right now but it is interesting.

But when you think about the different stages of a deadlift its quite hard to get your head around this.

I only quickly read the top study but im guessing that "activity" means simply that the muscle is firing, it doesnt take into account howmuch work its actually doing.

E.g. above knee height in the deadlift both the quads and hammies are active but which is actually doing the most work? I dont think this is actually what is being measured here.

So the slight extra activity measured in the quads may even be the motion of taking the slack out of the bar.
IrishMarcIcon...27-06-2015 @ 09:20 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
DeanW92 said:
But when you think about the different stages of a deadlift its quite hard to get your head around this.
I only quickly read the top study but im guessing that "activity" means simply that the muscle is firing, it doesnt take into account howmuch work its actually doing.
E.g. above knee height in the deadlift both the quads and hammies are active but which is actually doing the most work? I dont think this is actually what is being measured here.
So the slight extra activity measured in the quads may even be the motion of taking the slack out of the bar.

If it's normalised against maximal voluntary contraction as it should be then it will give you a good idea of force production as it will represent a % of maximal isometric contraction in a realavent position.

One of the favourite ones I have seen done was in a study of squat depth on muscle activation they pooled all their data and presented it as a % of whole activation.

They land marked it against kinematic data (knee angle etc) and that is pretty much the sole evidence for squats activating the glutes and to a lesser extent hammies in deep flexion. 10 students that science!

I've carried out two emg studies on squat and deadlift and deadlift has a significant involvement of the quads.

At least in 16 or 20 people I tested.
RobboIcon...27-06-2015 @ 09:26 
When I have enough cash, I get a deep tissue.
Member 465, 11029 posts
SQ 240, BP 175, DL 302.5
717.5 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
A lot of guys pull with feet directly facing forward

Turn toes out a touch as this can get the glutes to be more active in the lift
IainKendrickIcon...27-06-2015 @ 16:45 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
To concur with some of the above, quads are a prime mover in the deads and contribute significantly to the movement. However quad strength isn't going to be the limiting factor in the lift.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions