REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 294 guests

bristols strongest man novice/inters comp

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

shanejerIcon...29-07-2012 @ 22:18 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
joewills said:ha lol the fb pics just show you pointing up?

I know, some serious woman and he points towards GOD HIMSELF
dan_sIcon...29-07-2012 @ 22:27 
Member 671, 529 posts
SQ 310, BP 180, DL 250
740.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
so bristols strongest man 2013????
RyanHIcon...29-07-2012 @ 23:17 
Big fish in a small pond
Member 1150, 2101 posts
It means number one Happy

Bristols Strongest Man 2012

We arrived on time at 9am, and I was a bit worried about the size of the guys I was to be up against, I looked the smallest height wise and was giving away a lot of weight to most of them.
As people turned up I saw a fellow local boy James Bush! and even though we were similar weight he made me look small

The first event was the appollons axle which I have never tried, all i have is a scaffold bar that rotates. I used a belt clean and split jerk on every weight. First weight was 95kg went up easy, second weight 105kg my wrist wrap came undone but no drama, next weight 115kg again my wrist wrap came undone and caused me to have to grind it out.
I asked a competitor hes on the forum as Terminator if i could use his wraps as my velcro had gone, so thanks Terminator!
Next weight was 120kg and it went up easy. 125kg would be an overall overhead pb,
I cleaned it but it didn't sit right, went for the jerk twice but didn't quite get it. Two guys got the 125kg and then both failed the 130kg. Joint 2nd for me.

The next event was 110kg farmers with a low pickup and 260kg super yoke both for 20m's watched lots of guys struggle with this, I picked the farmers up got some speed, straight onto yoke, got some speed but just didn't want to make a drop. my time was 30.2 seconds I believe, but was beaten by around a second someone got 29 something. 2nd place for me.

Next event was car deadlift, this was an event I was looking forward to but I got told there was a guy with a 360kg deadlift some sort of world powerlifter, anyway for some reason I was placed before him in the order, not sure why but I had watched a couple of 8 reps 9 reps one guy got 15 and some guys really struggled. I pulled 16 asked how many I had got then decided to leave it there.The powerlifter came out and pulled 19. 2nd again for me.

Next event was block press, this was 90kg but it is super small block really dense basically pure metal so the balance is very weird, so many people with massive pressing power were failing this, a couple of guys got 1 rep then Tom (superman) got 4 reps, I got 2 reps went for a 3rd grinded and missed it, put it down and re cleaned it got a 3rd and then time was up. 2nd place again.

Final event was keg loading, 60kg keg from 20m over a yoke gonna guess at 48inches high, then run back to a keg thats 15m out 90kg and run that in, then run back 10m to a 100kg keg run that in, finally a keg 5m out which was 120. Lots of guys where gassing on this, but I watched tom (superman) basically sprint with a lot of the kegs, he completed the course in 48 seconds. I knew if i could place behind him i would win as at this point i was 2 points ahead. I used the one at top one at bottom technique where as everyone else put them high on their chest and both hands at the front, Tom's height defiantly helped him on this event. Anyway went as fast as i could, and got a 45 second time! my first event win, and winning me the overall 1st Place[]

Like i said at the start i was very surprised i never expected to be competitive, specially having stepped up to 105kg competitions this year. Another amazing day that I will always remember I'm so happy I got my first competition win.

(reposted from journal)
BushyIcon...30-07-2012 @ 04:24 
I miss the bush.
Member 3527, 196 posts
SQ 232.5, BP 140, DL 280
652.5 kgs @ 101kgs UnEq
Awesome day, great events and really well organised. Good to put some faces to names from members of here: Terminator, Darrenmac and of course Ryan 'tough hough', who was impressive on all events, does not seem to have a bad event, well done to all competitors on the day and all the support from the great crowd. Only thing that let the day down was the stolen goody bags, some people have no respect. Wouldn't say I dwarf you Ry, you've got 10kg on me Happy
MarkIcon...30-07-2012 @ 13:50 
Member.
Member 2171, 1612 posts
Post Edited: 30.07.2012 @ 13:51 PM by Mark
My write up!!

Went to bed at midnite, a little earlier than normal as knew nerves would keep me awake for a while, fell asleep about 1am in the end.
Woken up at 1.30 by some crazy heavy rain, this was some serious downpour and suddenly my heart sank. I'd prefer blazing sun where I burn to rain lol.

get back to sleep eventually, wake up at 7.30 and have a shower n 5 weetabix. No nerves, able to eat fine, good news!
Pack my bags, get in the car and leave the house.... drive back to house to pick up bags that I have packed. Doh, clearly am nervous Tongue

Some big lads at the comp, most seem to be at least my size (or in my mind they were) but taller or 20kg lighter (wtf!).

I'm listed as 2nd in the running order of 13 (should have been 18 but fair few pulled out last min).

Event 1 - apollons axle: floor to over head, 95kg starting weight rising in 10kg. MUST put completed rep (on "good rep") on to the bags, not the floor.
1st attempt - belly clean, up to shoulders, push press. Simple. "Good rep". Down.... onto the floor. Dan (the ref just laughed and shook his head) "no rep". First lift nerves clearly hitting me lol.
Still time for another attempt, I've never tried 2 in quick succession but gave it a go. Good rep. Yes!
Pertty much everyone got it, onto 105kg.
Belly clean 105, up to shoulders, more of a push press "good rep", down onto the bags. Cool Grin
115kg - belly clean, up to chest, almost slipped but was well chalked up, got to shoulders. Knew this wasn't going up, it was sat on my chest still rather than just under my chin like the 95 and 105 was. Push press (should have tried to power jerk it really) to just over my head, no tricep strength to press out though. No lift.

No idea where I came on this yet, but thing only 5 of us got 105. Joint winners got 125, well impressed.

Event 2 - Farmers and yoke medley: farmers 110kg in each hand, low pick up handles for 20m straight into 260 yoke for 20m.
To save time on the height change for yoke we didn't go in order, just in who wanted to do x height, then move it up and do next people until all have done it. I went on the 2nd height which was about 8th person.
Nobody dropped the farmers and they were all fast, but this then screwed most for the yoke, less than half in total completed both parts. I was one of them Yes!
Nice steady farmers, nothing lighting speed but fast enough. Under the yoke, 260kg suddenly felt like over 300 (never done the 2 together so quickly before). Lifted, got moving. Think I covered 10m before first drop, knew not to stand up and breathe, just pick up and go again. Think I dropped it once more, then over the line. Awesome Grin

Event 3 - Car deadlift, 60 secs. Front bar rather than side handles, I think about 230kg in the hands. Lift da weight from a dead stop silly! Wait for lift command and down command.
Hands were aching from squeezing the farmers not long before, we were back to list order meaning I was 2nd up for this. Eek.
First bloke struggled, it was raining again and I didn't have spare socks so had to do it in my trainers (basketball boots with a thick heel making the lift higher, doh!).
rocked up to the car, lifted first rep "down", sweet 1 rep. I then waited..... looked up at Dan and he said something like "what you waiting for?" "the lift command you fanny Tongue". Doh Grin
Busted out 6 reps. After 6 it felt like i was gonna s**t myself, seriously. Bad times. 20s left and I'm thinking 1 more and I'm gonna be glad i've got dark shorts on and its raining!!!
"10 seconds" was called. Bust out 2 more to make 8 reps. 4th in this event (winner got 19 (over 350kg powerlifter), 2nd was 16 and 3rd 9 reps.
Lesson learned there, get the **** on with it, walked away from that feeling like i could do it again. Damn.

Lunch break - jelly babies and flap jack nom nom nom

Event 4 - Block press, 75s (I think) floor to overhead for reps. 90kg metal block, forged from the depths of hell.
This is a serious piece of hell, you could see everyone (competitors and crowd) just looking at it like "wtf, that's 90kg?!". Seriously, it's like a breeze block, not like the flat ones you can grab easily in other comps, this was a beast.
I hate it and have struggled with it immensly in the gym, it scares the life out of me (and clearly the same for others who have just set eyes on it).
First person up, I didn't really pay attention, I knew that 1 rep would be a big score here. 2nd person up, i realise its not me! We're running in reverse order now, meaning I'm 1 from last to go. Breathing space and a chance to see what others do.
Superman Tom (was 2nd to go, he got 4 reps. I've seen him do the same in the gym and expected this from him, simply awesome to watch). Then no one else lifted it until the Ryan who got 3. Lots of people struggling to clean the thing then get in a position to press, let alone actually press it.
My turn. I can clean this thing pretty easily, easiest part of it for me. 3,2,1 go - On to toes, lap it, hip drive to chest, sweet. Hold under chin, little push press "HEAD THROUGH MARK" I heard, needed this reminder to take my eyes off it. "good lift". Down to the floor. f**k yeah Grin
By this time the platform was wet with people walking on and off it, i know the block would get wet from this so had a pocket full of chalk and gave it a wipe.
On to toes, lap, drive to chest. Great!
Wait, thumb is moving under the weight, in a wet spot. Damn! Chest was well chalked so rested on chest and tried to get it dry with chalk. Thumb back under, felt better. Push press, almost locked out, but couldn't get under it or take eyes off it. Confidence had gone. Dropped it. Time for a 3rd attempt, go it to chest but no time to attempt a press.
3rd in this event, I think my mum filmed this one so will find it and post it up. 1 rep, YES! Grin

5th Event - barrel loading. carry barrel to yoke, throw it over. 54" yoke height, then padding on top adding 2". 75 sec. 60kg over 20m, 90kg over 15m, 100kg over 10m, 120kg over 5m.
At this point I know I am in 5th and being 1 from the end I know the the person in 4th only got 3 barrels. Not many actually completed all 4.Few people wearing gloves for this!! must have helped, good idea!
Run in is towards the crowd, so they can see us all grimacing lol.
Stood at the starting line I said "I've not run 20m since I was 12" which Joe (on the mic) proudly repeated to the crowd which got a laugh and a cheer. Great atmosphere Grin
Go!
1st barrel, simples, no sprinting, just jog it over I've got 75s and going to fast will screw me on last barrel. Good tactic.
2nd barrel, simples. Up onto chest, 15m, over the yoke.
3rd barrel, a puddle has now formed where the barrel was, I could have moved it out of the puddle before starting and gave it a dry (wasn't raining at this point). Lean to side grab underneath and pull to chest - it slipped. Wet hands now, damn.
Lift again, lap, drive up higher onto chest. It crushed my chest and stopped me breathing. 10m, up and over it went. Sweet.
4th barrel, 120kg. I've done this a fair few times, by arms have been bruised lots by it. Much respect for the 120kg barrel. I NEED this to come 4th!
Lean, lap, up on to chest like i've done before. ****. I didn't take a breath. Need to breath but cant! Get to the yoke and had to drop it.
Take a breath, 10s left. Plenty of time.
Lean, lap, drive to chest and pop it over to a great cheer Grin

That's it. Done. Awesome first comp and i'm proud of getting 4th Happy

Joe comes on the mic to do the results in reverse order.
13, 12,11,10,9,8,7,6... at this point i'm not quite listening clearly and start walking over ready to raise hand when he announces 4th.
4th place - rhys. Umm, wtf? I'm thinking did he miss 5th, has something gone wrong?
He stopped for a moment "and now on to our top 3", i'm confused.
3rd place - Mark!!!!! Wtf!!! Yes Grin
2nd place - Tom (hope tom carries on training after this, he will be awesome with some more technique. Him screwing up car deadlift and getting 7 reps lost him 1st place, but meant I was 3rd lol).
1st place - Ryan (2nd in 105kg southern qualifier for natural strongest man).

Over the moon. Grin

Home and I can't eat, wife went and got a huge amount of fried chicken. Not eaten all night, cant piss or s**t.
Spent an hour in the hot tub with beer though, perfect Grin

I am aching today. My who core is still tight (think that is what was stopping me eating or going to the toilet), plenty of stretching for me later I think!! Grin

----------------------

It was a fantastic comp for my first one, the crowd were great and the atmosphere between all competitors was excellent. All helping out where we could, little hints and tips and sharing of chalk and equipment where needed. Loads of encouragement even if the person active at that time was going to beat someone else. Exactly how I hoped it would be Happy

Credit to Dan, Joe and Olly and the girls doing the admin part Grin
joewillsIcon...30-07-2012 @ 22:11 
Has a sub 250 deadlift
Member 2761, 89 posts
SQ 225, BP 130, DL 280
635.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Great write up, jack in T-systems and go for sports writer.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions