Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWendler's 5/3/1 is crap?

Wendler's 5/3/1 is crap?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Wes
To be fair, you seem to have a good understanding of the program, the heavier 1 reppers after max reps doesn't sound like something you do regularly, so that's not an issue.

To the above comments, the sets of 10 are part of the program and form the main substance of the assistance work.
Eagle
In 5/3/1 for Powerlifting Wendler recommends switching the weeks to 3/5/1/deload and doing 'a couple' of heavy (not max) singles after main work sets on the 3's and 5/3/1 weeks. The last sets are not all out on these weeks and the 5 week is required reps only.

When running the standard 5/3/1 Wendler doesn't day it is a must to push the last set each session, he often says 'pick your battles' and I have seen him say some people would be better off just doing required reps.
Wes said:To be fair, you seem to have a good understanding of the program, the heavier 1 reppers after max reps doesn't sound like something you do regularly, so that's not an issue.

To the above comments, the sets of 10 are part of the program and form the main substance of the assistance work.

No it's not. It was simply for ego. I won;t be making that mistake again.

No reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater just because of my ego. I like 5/3/1; it works for me which is more important.
surely the fact that you are more or less gona progress in the wieghts that you lift is a godd thing.. making you stronger...which is the name of the game?
richieallen said:surely the fact that you are more or less gona progress in the wieghts that you lift is a godd thing.. making you stronger...which is the name of the game?

Exactly. Compound lifting, linear progression, assistance for the minor stuff and having fun. Surely that's all good lol?
I ran 531 for a good 5-6 months and enjoyed it. Didn't like it for squats but did well on the deads and strict press.

I found that pushing the last set to its limit didn't always work. So I used to push it on the 5s week, stick to the plan on the 3s and push it on the 1s week. That's what I did for deads anyway.
Post Edited: 28.05.2012 @ 09:13 AM by Hywel
I like it. Theres nothing magical about it, just emphasis on the big lifts, and weekly progression with the poundages used for the worksets. Thats why it works.

I also find the PR set adds some weekly competition with myself, and also a good guage of weekly + monthly progression.

My 1 rep maxes have gone up rapidly in the 9 months I've been doing it, along with my 3 and 5 rep maxes.

Oh and before doing 5/3/1, I never did any sort of deload either - what a tit Tongue
richkite
Hi, i'm new to the site, so apologies if this has been posted a few hundred times before (i suspect). I put together a 6month excel sheet for the 5/3/1 that is formulated, so all you need to do is enter in the names of the exercises you have selected. Then all you need to do is add the weight and reps you have previously performed and it will calculate your 1RM, and fill in the entire 6months of weights for you.
If enough people are interested, I would be happy to share, and if it needs to go into a specific location, please make me aware and I will post it there. Thanks
I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure that doing a final balls out set is the best idea every time. Sometimes I come away feeling that I could have done a couple more sets.

I ran Smolov for 4 weeks and felt like a squatting monster... on 5/3/1 I feel slightly weaker in that lift. But then if I want to follow 5/3/1 I need to follow it to the letter and not make changes to suit.

I have a copy of his second edition on pdf... there is a new section which covers higher volume squats which I am reading through now. I REALLY like a lot of volume on my squats. I'll be looking at incorporating it when I come back from my holiday.
I do Wendler's and I find it very good. I pretty much always know my max's accurately and the last time I based it on 100% rather than 90%, not what he says to do, but I do what works for me. Sometimes I add in some heavy singles too.

I probably should stick to it rigidly but I just use his system to work my own training out, if I want to go heavier I can. There is a couple of really good apps for the iphone/Android, one is just a calculator and the other plans your whole cycle and you can change the training max if you like.

I have pdf copies of both the original 531 and 531 for powerlifting which I can send by email. If anyone wants them sending then drop me a PM Happy

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWendler's 5/3/1 is crap?
Return to top View Desktop Site