REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 207 guests
You are here: HomeForumvjohn82 → View All Posts

View All Posts: vjohn82

» MIDLANDS U/105 COMP 2013 (Go to post)09-12-2012 @ 13:20 
Post Edited: 09.12.2012 @ 15:18 PM by vjohn82
» 220x5 unequipped squat (Go to post)16-06-2012 @ 18:46 
Great squatting milsy... beautiful controlled form. This is pretty much how I was squatting while on Smolov.

I've hurt my back doing deadlifts recently... waiting till after my holiday to start them again so the next few weeks is going to be focused on rehab/mobility stuff.

Need a squat routine to see me through the next few weeks. Won't know if I am any good for squats until I try them because of the back but probably going to do some 5x5 just to see me through.

Where was your starting point for your sets? i.e. how did you work out your initial percentages or did you just go by feel?
» Deadlift form check... 192.5kg (Go to post)02-06-2012 @ 22:45 
Scott_Hobbs said:Dont think 5/3/1 would have you doing 11 rep deadlifts at all??? Unless you had a mega third set on your deadlift day?

That's what happened. On your third work set you go for a PB i.e. try for as many as you can.

I just happened to feel good for 11... might have been able to get 13 but tried to leave a little in the tank.
» Wendler's 5/3/1 is crap? (Go to post)28-05-2012 @ 20:34 
I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure that doing a final balls out set is the best idea every time. Sometimes I come away feeling that I could have done a couple more sets.

I ran Smolov for 4 weeks and felt like a squatting monster... on 5/3/1 I feel slightly weaker in that lift. But then if I want to follow 5/3/1 I need to follow it to the letter and not make changes to suit.

I have a copy of his second edition on pdf... there is a new section which covers higher volume squats which I am reading through now. I REALLY like a lot of volume on my squats. I'll be looking at incorporating it when I come back from my holiday.
» Wendler's 5/3/1 is crap? (Go to post)27-05-2012 @ 22:33 
richieallen said:surely the fact that you are more or less gona progress in the wieghts that you lift is a godd thing.. making you stronger...which is the name of the game?

Exactly. Compound lifting, linear progression, assistance for the minor stuff and having fun. Surely that's all good lol?
» Bokers Training Log (Go to post)25-05-2012 @ 23:53 
Bokers said:Alright chief, yeah we are. What did you do before 5/3/1? Have you started a log yet? I couldn't find it Happy

I did Smolov before 5/3/1 and Stronglifts 5x5 before that.

No log on here yet. I keep one here: http://ironstrong.org/index.php?/topic/917-vjohn82s-training-l...

and here: http://ironstrong.org/index.php?/topic/1243-vjohn82-smolov-squ...
» Wendler's 5/3/1 is crap? (Go to post)25-05-2012 @ 23:50 
Wes said:To be fair, you seem to have a good understanding of the program, the heavier 1 reppers after max reps doesn't sound like something you do regularly, so that's not an issue.

To the above comments, the sets of 10 are part of the program and form the main substance of the assistance work.

No it's not. It was simply for ego. I won;t be making that mistake again.

No reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater just because of my ego. I like 5/3/1; it works for me which is more important.
» Wendler's 5/3/1 is crap? (Go to post)25-05-2012 @ 21:32 
Thanks for all of the replies.

My 11 reps on my deadlift were 162.5kg and this was my final set of my 3 x 3+ week (the + denoting an AMRAP set - "As Many Reps As Possible". Essentially gives you a target to aim for each month.

The philosophy behind Wendler's approach is that if you have repped 150kg 6 times in Cycle 1 but then 150kg x 10 in Cycle 3 you have gotten stronger. He thinks pulling PRs, on most occasions, is a pointless endeavour.

As for my own circumstances, the posters are right... I was not following my plan for that day. I wanted to hit some good reps (as I had not deadlifted for a while) and then do my asisstance work, PWO stretches and go home. Instead, I got into a 1RM session at the end with my training partner and pushed it too far.

I do not blame the programming of 5/3/1 for this in case anyone got the wrong impression... I blame myself entirely. I was being egotistical and lifting those weights should not have mattered to me.

I think I have gotten away with the injury in that it's not as severe as I first thought. Hopefully this won't dent my progress for this cycle. If it does, tough luck for me. I'll learn from it.

Personally, I love 5/3/1. I get my main lifts done... then can cram in some nice assistance work to build up weak spots. The spreadsheet I have is brilliant and I can really see how I am progressing.
» Wendler's 5/3/1 is crap? (Go to post)25-05-2012 @ 19:12 
Spent 4 months on Wendler's 5/3/1... then switch to the Smolov squat cycle for 4 weeks and then went back to 5/3/1 one again.

I did 11 reps at 162.5kg on my deadlift last night but after throwing in two heavy singles (for the first time since herniating a disc last year) I have come away with a slight back strain again (more likely to be a facet joint issue if I am being honest - wife is an orthopaedic nurse which helps diagnosing these things).

I have been "told off" for doing high reps and another poster has suggested that 5/3/1 is the "scourge of the net".

What's everyone's thoughts on these two points?
» Deadlift form check... 192.5kg (Go to post)25-05-2012 @ 19:07 
MattD90 said:I'm not strong or anything but even I can tell you 11 rep deadlifts.. oh hell no

that s**t does not sound fun

That's Wendler's 5/3/1 for ya.
» Carb Back Loading and Daily protein intake (Go to post)25-05-2012 @ 07:52 
What do your daily calories come in at?
» Bokers Training Log (Go to post)24-05-2012 @ 23:12 
Hi. We're practically the same chap. I'm 19.7st now but used to be 23st. I'm crap at benching but getting there. Following 531 too and good to see it is working for someone else.
» my pathetic journal 2012 (Go to post)24-05-2012 @ 23:07 
What programme are you following? Looks really good. I'm on 5/3/1 but have been told it's crap for the stage I am at.
» Deadlift form check... 192.5kg (Go to post)24-05-2012 @ 23:00 
milsy said:build your upper back strength up

stop yanking the bar off the floor

tbh your going to get coaching from the best deadlifter in the world so anything anyone says on here should be taken with a pinch of salt and maybe braught up in your session

Good points. Will work on the upper back more as the lower could well have over compensated.

Thanks.
» Deadlift form check... 192.5kg (Go to post)24-05-2012 @ 22:33 
JackRevans said:back looks too rounded. this seems to be fine for most people but for me it f**ked me up

A little maybe because it was the heaviest I have pulled for a long time (not a PR but it's a long road back from a herniated disc) but I have a very developed mid back which looks rounded even when my spine is neutral... plus I have large spinal erectors.

Tempted to look at Sumo lifting as that seems to suit my leverages more.

You are here: HomeForumvjohn82 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions