REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 439 guests

Distal Bicep Tendon detachment, the road so far approx. 15 weeks post op.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

StetecIconDistal Bicep Tendon detachment, the road so far approx. 15 weeks post op.26-06-2012 @ 02:05 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Just a few early hours of the morning thoughts, 3 and a bit months post op for my bicep tendon rupture.

Brief recap: deadlift, crap technique, ping. Didn't hurt that much tbh, my own daft fault. That was a Friday. Monday morning I had the op to reattach distal tendon. 2 titanium sutures later and a lovely 4 inch ish scar. Little bit of bone reconstruction was needed as some went with the tendon when it detached.

Had a cast on for first 4 weeks, followed by funky looking metal brace for another 4 weeks, neither of which were much fun to sleep with it on.

Like a crazy fool, I was back in the gym within days, dopped to the gills on a variety of pain killers, rambling incoherantly (spelling) to my gym buddies, nothing new there. Kidded myself that I could do things 1 armed, everntually conceded defeat and generally sat about at home feeling sorry for myself. Sold my nice sporty car and bought a little auto honda civic to stay mobile.

Anyway, fast forward to week 10 ish and trainings been going great. No direct bicep stuff and very light backwork, but looking on the bright side, it's given me more focus to work on my legs, core, cardio, chest etc. Miss my guns though...

Pressing power is as good as ever, which in my case doesn't say much.

The main problem has been the nerves in my lower arm which had to be disturbed during the op. This an limited flexibilty so I can't completely supinate (turn palm out) my left hand. But my physio has given me some effective flexibility exercises, plyometrics etc and they've been working a treat. I have approx. 80% flexibility in the hand now and although I don't want to push my limits seeing as I'm not even supposed to be in the gym yet ( sorry surgeon...) my bicep strength when doing pulley rows and pull downs etc seems back to normal although I've generally been using less than half what I could manage before.

Doubt I'll ever do heavy stuff again, not because I can't but this whole thing has given me a different focus. I'm enjoying training now with lighter weights, high reps, I feel much better than I did before with the heavier stuff and feel my overall fitness is at a higher level, which, although not an old man by any means, I'm nearly 36 so have reassessed priories and feeling beat up at the end of every session and energy less most of the time due to leaving it all in the gym is not my idea of fun anymore.

So to conclude, if any of you guys are unfortunate to find yourselves in the position of having a nasty injury, don't get disheartned, relax, take some time out, get your head back in gear, your body has a remarkable ability to recover and you'll be back at it before you know it, with a fresh mind set and maybe your previously weaker areas will have been turned into strengths.

Train hard but with care guys (and girls) and above all make sure you're enjoying it, if not, do something else/change a few things :-)
ThingIcon...26-06-2012 @ 07:34 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
excellent post Ste and glad your rehab is going well with your new direction
PeteHodgsonIcon...26-06-2012 @ 08:59 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Nice post Ste. My brother just had a distal bicep attatchment (did it at work, not in the gym) and had surgery last week. I'll let him know of your progress. Glad your feeling good, and training well.
Big_GrayIcon...26-06-2012 @ 10:02 
another lover of conans wheel
Member 1116, 2379 posts
SQ 275, BP 210, DL 330
815.0 kgs @ 134kgs UnEq
very interesting to read your thoughts and experience mate, i wish u all the best with your rehab and the future
StetecIcon...27-06-2012 @ 20:13 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Thanks guys Cool
paddymc1986Icon...27-06-2012 @ 20:23 
dieting is not the way to go
Member 1539, 5526 posts
SQ 330, BP 230, DL 350
910.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
good luck with you recovery
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions