REGISTER
 

2009 - A Year for Strength

12345678910

LukeCIcon...24-05-2009 @ 21:02 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Cheers turbo.

PorkPie, you are very right, I do need to do more assistance for sure. It would be wrong to say I dont do any but very right to say I need to do a lot more.
Im gonna get myself some briefs after the Brits, I figure I have more to get out of my suit having only done one comp in it before I start adding more equipment.
As for training at Catts I might just have to take you up on that offer at some point.

Sunday 24/5/09 at The Sugden Sports Centre, Manchester

Deadlift:
70kg x 5
100kg x 5
125kg x 5
150kg x 3
175kg x 3 - 3 rep pb

Bench:
50kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
70kg x 3
70kg x 3
70kg x 3

---------------
I was happy to get the deadlift, it was a hell of an effort but I was feeling pretty weak today for some reason, hence the light work on bench. The bench work did help my form a little though so thats a plus.
MrSmallIcon...24-05-2009 @ 21:04 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
exams dont help anything mate.
who did you bribe to have the time to do all those bench sets?
LukeCIcon...09-06-2009 @ 02:15 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Oh yeah I might want to update this every now and then...

Basically training is going well, starting to hit some decent numbers and hoping for a solid performance at the Brits.
LukeCIcon...11-06-2009 @ 23:02 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Look kids its an update...

Thursday 11/6/09 at The Sugden Sports Centre, Manchester

Squat:
70kg x 5
110kg x 3
140kg x 3*
167.5kg x 2*
187.5kg x 2*

Bench:
60kg x 5
70kg x 3**
72.5kg x 3**
75kg x 3**

Bit of assistance work, got to get the gunz in shape for summer :P

*In knee wraps
**Final rep with BPC bench pause
--------------------------
A good session considering my lack of sleep and food in the last 2 days. Squats are feeling really solid atm.
LukeCIcon...17-06-2009 @ 14:25 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
A mixed bag of traning these last few days.

Saturday 13/6/09 at The Sugden Sports Centre, Manchester

70kg x 5
120kg x 3
150kg x 2
180kg x 1
205kg x F - attempting 1

---------------------------
Last sessions at the Sugden and I was hoping to make it a good one but ...arrrg...bo***cks...there are several reasons why I failed my final set, none of them cheered me up very much. But I think I know what I did wrong, just got to fix it.

Monday 15/6/09 at Fitness First, Leeds

Deadlift:
70kg x 5
110kg x 3
145kg x 3
165kg x 3
185kg x 2 - 2 rep PB

Bench:
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
85kg x 1
75kg x 1*

*BPC Bench pause

---------
About 1,000 times happier after this session. Dominated the deadlift then got a solid bench in, would have done more had my tricep not started hurting which it often does after a heavy squat session.
LukeCIcon...23-06-2009 @ 22:35 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Gotten well behind with this again.

Recent session summary:
190kg x 1 knee wrap squat
200kg x 1 suited squat
90kg x 1 bench pb

Huge session tomorrow, my final squat session. Need to make a good one!
LukeCIcon...27-06-2009 @ 12:56 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Final week of training.

Wednesday 24/6/09 at Ralls Gym, Leeds

Squat:
60kg x 5
100kg x 3
130kg x 3
140kg x 2
160kg x 2
180kg x 1
200kg x 1
210kg x 1
180kg x 1

All sets with suit and knee wraps

Deadlift:
60kg x 5
100kg x 3
130kg x 2
150kg x 2
170kg x 1
190kg x 1

------------------------
Back to Ralls gym, home of Andy Bolton for my final squat and deadlif session. After a couple of less than impressive suited squat sessions I finally nailed some good squats. The bar felt about 10% lighter in the monolift, meaning no walk out. Deadlift felt really good, 200kg is a minimum goal.

Friday 26/6/09 at Fitness First, Leeds

60kg x 5
65kg x 3
70kg x 1*
75kg x 1*
77.5kg x 1*
80kg x 1*

*BPC Bench Pause
-----------------
Quite happy with this session, not too taxing but worked up to my opener quite nicely with a pause.

My train and hotels are booked, next step weigh-in then lifting some weights!
MrSmallIcon...27-06-2009 @ 14:12 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
when did you do 90k bench?
and how was that 210 to depth?
what are the openers?
best of luck mate hope my stuff is intact in yo crib i realised I left about 300 quid in there.
LukeCIcon...01-07-2009 @ 11:48 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
So after my final session, nice and light, on Sunday I am putting my openers at:
Squat: 200kg
Bench: 80kg
Deadlift: 190kg

Ive been cutting the last few days and im now down to 78kg which will be a nice easy dehydration/sauna job to make it into the 75s.

Im heading to Bournemouth tomorrow, wish me luck!
JoniIcon...01-07-2009 @ 11:51 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
good luck dude!
MrSmallIcon...01-07-2009 @ 13:27 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
good luck mate been training hard for this one!
Beard_Of_IronIcon...01-07-2009 @ 13:52 
Avatar
Head of Department, Ministry of Beards
Member 580, 2634 posts
SQ 210, BP 115, DL 266
591.0 kgs @ 101kgs UnEq
good luck Luke!
LukeCIcon...06-07-2009 @ 19:24 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Home from Bournemouth, still tired and achey but very happy.

Numbers: 222.5kg + 85kg + 205kg = 512.5kg, 3rd place 75kg junior.

Bring on the worlds!

Full write-up tomorrow.
BoarIcon...06-07-2009 @ 19:25 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
well done mate !
LukeCIcon...09-07-2009 @ 20:46 
Avatar
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Post Edited: 09.07.2009 @ 21:04 PM by LukeC
A full write up as promised, if a little late.

Having weighed myself at 79.5kg two weeks out I knew a difficult cut was in order. Cutting out carbs in the week prior to the comp took me below 79kg. The day before weigh in I didn't eat or drink past 12 and further dehydrated in the sauna. Friday morning I successfully weighed in at 74.5kg. I had a long day of drinking and eating as much as possible to look forward to.

Saturday 4/7/09 at The Bournemouth International Centre, Bournemouth

Having regained the weight I lost to make weight I was feeling strong and confident. I set my openers at 200-80-190, a total of 470 which is similar to my total from my previous competition.

I was lifting in the second flight, alongside my brother John and the other 75kg junior Callum Cook. With no chance of taking 1st against the more experienced and much stronger Callum I fancied beating my brother in one lift but knowing he should out total me, owing partly to my comparative lack of a bench shirt.

Squat warm-ups:
Suit on, rolled down
70kg x 5
100kg x 3
Suit on, rolled down, knee wraps on
120kg x 2
140kg x 2
Suit on, straps up, knee wraps on
160kg x 1
180kg x 1

I felt much better as my warm-ups went on and was eager to get on the platform and get the comp going.

Squat opener: 200kg
Despite being confident with this weight having nailed in training several times and in my previous competition I didn't exactly nail this weight but I sank it well and got three white lights.

After getting in my first squat I always feel a hundred times better. One of my brothers training partners Pat Griffin gave me a really good pep talk. I was feeling confident and eager to lift again.

Second squat: 210kg
Having failed this twice in Wales I was really determined to nail this and I did. Grin I walked off the platform feeling really good and having previously planned to go for 220 on my third squat I was encouraged to go for 222.5kg, a 12.5kg pb.

Third squat: 222.5kg
This was a big PB for me having never even had above 210kg on my back in either gym or competition. It felt heavy but I sunk it and came up, I instantly heard "good lift" and I felt great.

Having hit all three squats I was feeling really confident and most importantly I was feeling strong. On to the weakest of my three lifts, the bench.

Bench warm-ups:
50kg x 5
60kg x 3
70kg x 2
75kg x 1

Final rep paused on all sets.

Opening on 80kg meant a 2.5kg comp PB meant that once I got my first in the pressure would be off. Opening on PB might sound a little risky but I had hit 90kg touch and go in the gym and done 80kg with a pause several times.

Opening bench: 80kg

A nice and easy opener and a pb.

Second bench: 85kg

As you can see if you watch the video this lift was spotted as I approached lock-out. However the head judge ruled that the spotters acted too quickly and gave the lift. I was pretty confused at first but happy once I realised I had been given the lift. I'm not 100% certain I would have gotten the lift without the spot but considering how it felt and my lock-out ability I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the lift anyway.

Third bench: 90kg
I was always struggling with this weight and I failed just off the chest.

Considering my touch and go pb was 85kg only a few weeks ago I was happy to get this in the comp giving me a 7.5kg competition pb. It also left me with a sub-total of 307.5kg going into the deadlift where the competition really begins.

Deadlift warm-ups:
70kg x 3
100kg x 3
130kg x 2
150kg x 1
170kg x 1

I was feeling really good going into the deadlift and also really excited to smash through the 200kg barrier.

Opening deadlift: 190kg

A nice easy opener giving me a total of 497.5kg with two lifts to stretch it past 500kg.

Second deadlift: 200kg

Got this up nicely. After looking round to see if the lift was passed the lights were showing one white, one red. After what felt like forever the lift was passed but I was told I got a red light for not controlling the bar on the way down. Considering I had my hands on the bar the whole way down this seemed a little harsh but two white lights was good enough for me and gave me both a 5kg pb and my first 200kg deadlift. Judge for yourselves on the video I guess.

Third deadlift: 205kg

A bit of a battle but a good final lift for the day. I made sure there were no doubts of my control of the bar on the way down this time!

That final deadlift gave me a 512.5kg total, 40kg more than my previous competition wearing the same equipment and at the same weight. I was very happy with my performance and going 8 for 9 felt really good.

All in all it was a great weekend of lifting at my first British championships as a competitor. I have a lot of work to do before the Worlds in November but I can't wait for the challenge. Got to get myself in a bench shirt, get some briefs and a deadlift suit. Bring it on!

12345678910

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions